Appropriate Punishment

Appropriate Punishment - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 29th Dec, 2017 - 1:05am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

8th Apr, 2006 - 6:39pm / Post ID: #

Appropriate Punishment

I was reading an article on abcnews.com about a French man receiving a punishment of 25 years in prison for burning a woman to death. The accomplice received only 8 years. Article

I was shocked when I read the article. In my opinion, the punishment was not harsh enough. I would like to hear from others about what you think the proper punishment should have been.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 1 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.1%

Sponsored Links:
8th Apr, 2006 - 6:52pm / Post ID: #

Punishment Appropriate

I agree with you. I think it was premeditated but the judges thought otherwise:

international QUOTE
guilty of acts of torture or barbarity that led to unintentional death

I don't understand how someone can pour gasoline over the body of another, approach the person with a cigarette and then said he just wanted to "Scare" her. It does not make any sense. *shaking head*

The woman is dead, can you all imagine her suffering? *sigh*

He should have been convicted to life in prison without possibility of parole.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

1st May, 2006 - 10:35pm / Post ID: #

Appropriate Punishment History & Civil Business Politics

While I agree the punishment was not as severe as I would have expected, I have also seen worse. I have seen child molesters who molested multiple children get 8 years or less, total, regardless of the number of children involved. 25 years for this youth would put him at 47 when he is released, barring if there is the possibility for parole. By then he would have been so distanced from society that he would have wished he were back in his jail cell the rest of his life. We also do not know the circumstances surrounding the incident. Not that I am saying anything should give a person the right to douse another in gasoline and light them on fire, but we cannot make a judgement unless we have all the facts.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Post Date: 1st May, 2006 - 11:56pm / Post ID: #

Appropriate Punishment
A Friend

Punishment Appropriate

Its hard to know their mind set when this happened. If it truly was an accident, then the punishment fits the crime. If they were trying to scare her and were lighting matches around her then then punishment isn't enough. That kind of behavior is unacceptable. But I agree with Male at this point, not knowing all the court details inhibits me from throwing the book at them when greater crimes have received less.

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2017 - 11:50pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Punishment Appropriate

Is punishment as effective as we think? Punishment might not be an effective means to get members of society to cooperate for the common good, according to a social dilemma experiment. Source 6b.

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2017 - 11:55pm / Post ID: #

Appropriate Punishment
A Friend

Appropriate Punishment

I have always thought that many of the punishments of crimes in today's society do not fit the crimes at all. Those with the money always seem to get little to no punishment while those with little to no money get the harshest punishments of all.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Dec, 2017 - 1:05am / Post ID: #

Appropriate Punishment
A Friend

Appropriate Punishment

No, when lawyers get criminals off with technicalities, or use media play to downplay the harshness of their clients crimes, they are able to reduce the punishment. Liberal lawyers and judges seem to think that they can reform criminals with light punishments, instead of providing discouragement to fit the severity of the crime.

> TOPIC: Appropriate Punishment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,