Anybody Ever Return To Their Mission Area?

Anybody Return Mission Area - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Jul, 2004 - 9:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 9th Jun, 2004 - 11:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Who here has gone back, maybe years later to walk the same streets they worked as a missionary? It can be a unique experience. I served in Argentina from 1977-79 and returned in 1993 for a short visit. My plan was to visit each of the 5 areas I served in, but I ended up in only two. I arrived in Buenos Aires in the early evening and took a cab from Ezeiza Airport downtown. My original intention was to take a bus to save money but the cab driver was persistent and kept coming down on the price. He finally charged me only $15.

I got a cheap hotel right in el centro. Near the intersection of Florida and Lavalle, which happened to be within the boundries of one of my assignments as a missionary. I spent the evening strolling the streets, reminiscing of the times I walked the same streets years earlier. I walked by the old pension on Moreno St. where 4 of us elders lived and around the corner to Piedras St. where 6 others lived. It was a Saturday night and the streets were crowded with Portenos out to enjoy the evening. I grabbed a Milanesa sandwhich and an empanada at a little eatery and then strolled some more till about midnight.

The next morning I got up early and took the subway to the Once train station, then the train out to Lujan. When I was in Lujan in 1978 we purchased a lot to build a chappel on but I left before it was built. I remembered it being near the train station and after about a 5 minute walk, I was there. Church started about 30 minutes before I arrived and I met the current missionaries at the door. I told them I had served there 15 years earlier and they stopped the meeting and everyone came out to see who was there. There were at least a dozen members I knew, including a lady I had baptized. It was a tearful reunion and 5 minutes later, we went upstairs and resummed the meeting. Of course, I was asked to bear my testimony.

I spent the next several days staying with one of the family's in the branch and was taken all over town to see others I knew who weren't at church. Sadly, a few were inactive but those who were active were very strong indeed. I went from one dinner appointment to another and spent many hours discussing old times. I was never allowed to leave this town and didn't get to visit my other areas.

When I departed, I promised to return....something that I feel somewhat guilty about as it has been 11 years and I have not gone back. I keep saying next year, but with the challenges of raising a family, it is difficult to leave.

But it was a great experience. If any have the opportunity to go back...Do it.

Sponsored Links:
10th Jun, 2004 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

Area Mission To Return Anybody

Gaucho, every time you talk about Argentina, I have tears in my eyes....what wonderful memories you have cherished!. What a wonderful experience! I really hope you can return there soon, some things have changed drastically. I was in Argentina in the year 2000 and lots of things are different.
My husband served a mission in England and Wales, he always dreamt in returning but he never did, he always dream in taking me to Wales to experience how beautiful it is.

Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2004 - 9:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Anybody Ever Return To Their Mission Area? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Yep, have ben back to England several times, it's still my favorite, place to spend my holydays.
I served in the Preston area, and now there is a temple there, it's Wonderful.
My wife and I spend a week at the temple, some years back, and we met with some of the members, it was great.
I also have ben back to some of the other areas to meet with some of the people we taught and baptized. I'm still in contact with some of them.
I highly recommend it, it will properly be a experience that will make you cry of joy. I love Britain with all my heart.

> TOPIC: Anybody Ever Return To Their Mission Area?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,