SUV's Being Banned?!

Suv' S Banned ! - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 21st Jun, 2004 - 12:52am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Discuss  SUV' s Being Banned ! SUV = Sport utility vehicle - 4x4
10th Jun, 2004 - 6:07pm / Post ID: #

SUV's Being Banned?!

international QUOTE (CNN)
PARIS, France -- Bulky, gas-guzzling sports utility vehicles (SUVs) could be banned from the chic but traffic-clogged streets of Paris within 18 months following a resolution passed by the city council

I own an SUV because I have a large enough family and we make frequent road trips. The extra space provided by the SUV makes it easier to travel and more convenient. Personally, a law like this would upset me, although I know for a fact that some folks use the SUV as a status symbol. What are your thoughts on SUV's on our roads? Do you see it as a problem where you live?

Image from Wikimedia public domain.

SUV's Being Banned?!
SUV's Being Banned?! (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
10th Jun, 2004 - 8:21pm / Post ID: #

Banned SUVs

I don't think banning them is the right thing to do. I should have the right to choose. Perhaps a significant tax, like luxury taxes that are imposed on very large boats, super expensive cars, etc. Then, many people would opt for something less expensive. I think that is better than banning because the choice is still left to the individual. Of course, France isn't exactly a "free" society, and so I wouldn't be surprised if they do ban them. That doesn't mean it should be done in the US though.

12th Jun, 2004 - 3:10am / Post ID: #

SUV's Being Banned?! Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Around here, which is not a "rural" or "rugged" kind of place, there are SUV's everywhere. I see little tiny women driving them to work in their business suits, with no one else in the vehicle. That's just a waste. However, if they want to choose that for themselves, who am I to tell them they can't purchase that big expensive rig, or the gas to power it?

It seems silly to just ban them.

IMO
Roz

Post Date: 15th Jun, 2004 - 12:22pm / Post ID: #

SUV's Being Banned?!
A Friend

Banned SUVs

Im all for it. Im sorry Malex. but i believe that if you have a large family get a van. Vans have more gas mile-age. Secondly its a big waste, too much gas being used and too much space being taken. The whole SUV craze is just a "fad" or some show of power i think and i hoipe they ban in the US too. If it isnt needed for life, then why use it. >.> think conservative, it gets us where we need to be.

15th Jun, 2004 - 12:45pm / Post ID: #

Banned SUVs

The whole SUV craze is just a "fad" or some show of power i think and i hoipe they ban in the US too. If it isnt needed for life, then why use it.

In that case, you should ban pleasure boats, snowmobiles and any other recreational vehicle that uses gasoline for fuel. After all, it isn't needed to survive. See, that is the problem with banning things. You start out with one unpopular item and then where do you stop? While we are at it, we had better ban large pickup trucks unless your business requires it. No more campers either because it is a waste of gas to tow them, not to mention the big RVs some people drive.

It seems to me, if you are against SUV's then don't drive one, but don't legislate my right away because you are opposed to them.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 15th Jun, 2004 - 12:45pm

20th Jun, 2004 - 6:52pm / Post ID: #

SUV's Being Banned?!

I would add that a lot of people choose SUVs for safety reasons. Yes, there is a greater possibility of rollover accidents in them, but in any type of accident, the occupants of an SUV have a much better chance of escaping with minor injuries than any other type of car.

Of course, this is bad news for folks in subcompacts (like mine). If I were to have an argument with a big SUV (such as an Escalade), I would be crushed. But I don't blame the owner of the Escalade - it is just a matter of physics.

People want SUVs. They are safer, more versatile, and nicer to ride in than vans and cars. There are lots of people who want to tax them out of existence, but as with most other things, it is more a matter of trying to exercise dominion over other people rather than a real concern for what the SUV does (or doesn't do).

The French even go as far as to say that they don't believe anyone should own such "ugly" machines. Personally, I think that the Chevy Avalanche is a beautiful vehicle, as is the GMC Envoy. The Envoy XUV is an incredible vehicle.

Now, even I will admit that the Hummer H2 SUT is about as ugly a machine as I can imagine. Although I am a GM employee, I don't even like the H2 very much. (Until March, I was making the gears for the H2 transmissions) The couple of times I have ridden in them, I found them way too bulky, for my tastes. But I love driving the (not so attractive) Trailblazer, as well as the Aztec.

Anyway, take my opinion for what it's worth. My living depends on SUVs. But I still think that it is wrong for governments of any sort to interfere in my consumer choices, except in matters of public safety.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Jun, 2004 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

SUV's Being Banned?!
A Friend

SUV's Banned !

Even if i dont drive one, and even though i might be a bad person for trying to get rid of it, im thinking more about the economy. You still affect me with you SUV, even if i dont drive it. Non-Suv owners now have t worry about getting pounded more so in a car accident, pay more moeny for gas, and parking places arnt built for the larger cars, so its harder to squeeze in. We have a oil//gas shortage and all we do is dwindle if for..what? Whats the purpose. The thing with other recreational vehic. is that they dont have as many draw backs. I agree that once one goes, then otehrs will complain about others, but i still think SUVs should be banned or taxed high, like..uh..somenoe said.

21st Jun, 2004 - 12:52am / Post ID: #

SUV's Banned ! Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Here is an article that shows why there really is no need to ban them. People will decide on their own not to buy them when the economy is such that it isn't in their best interest to do so.

Non-Suv owners now have t worry about getting pounded more so in a car accident, pay more moeny for gas, and parking places arnt built for the larger cars, so its harder to squeeze in

You also need to worry about being pounded by a lincoln or a Ford 250 or an 18-wheeler. That is not a good reason to ban them. My driving an SUV doesn't really cause you to pay more for gas. It means I will pay more for gas (I don't really own one, I am using me only as an example). Also, the tight parking only affects me as the SUV owner, it doesn't really make it more difficult for the small car user.

Offtopic but,
It doesn't make you a bad person to want to ban them, just a bit misguided, maybe. wink.gif

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: SUV's Being Banned?!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,