World Cup Qualifications 2006 - Page 2 of 3

LDS and JB, when I used to play State League - Page 2 - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 18th Nov, 2005 - 1:39pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
29th Jul, 2005 - 2:38am / Post ID: #

World Cup Qualifications 2006 - Page 2

Well, arvhic, come September 3rd and 6th, we'll see if Australia can once again prove themselves and knock off Solomon Islands to win the Oceania Zone. Currently, they are ranked 60th according to FIFA July world rankings. That places them below 6 CONCACAF teams. As it stands today, if they were to win Oceania, they would play Colombia, the 25th ranked team in the world. Can you provide some insight as to who Australia has played over the past few years and what kind of results they've had?

Sponsored Links:
1st Nov, 2005 - 12:14pm / Post ID: #

Qualifications Cup World

Hi Malaxander, sorry it has taken so long to respond.

One thing you have to understand is how innacurate FIFA world rankngs are. They are really a joke for nations who play very few games. Because Australia plays most of its football against Oceania, we never have the opportunity to gain a decent ranking. Realisitcally, if we were in Concaf we would be the second best team on paper, but in a healthy battle with the US for the second perch behind Mexico. The US are a better team then their individual talent would suggest.

Some of our recent games: In the last Confed Cup we lost to Germany 4-3, Argentina 4-2 and I think Tunisia 2-0, but that was a dead rubber. In the confed cups prior we have finished 3rd, beating Brazil for the bronze, and before that second, losing to Brazil in the final.

We beat England 3-2 in a very dominant display last time we played them. We beat Mexico even easier 2-0 last time we played them.

Our last game was a 5-0 demolition of Jamaica, who we always beat. We drew with South Africa before that 1-1 in SA and beat them the time before.

Of course in the games that matter, we beat Uruguay 1-0 before they slaughtered us in Montivideo 3-0 to qualify for the last world cup. Mind you, I doubt many teams would fancy beating those guys at their home.

We now play them again in a couple of weeks and I will be reporting on the return leg in Australia.

Post Date: 2nd Nov, 2005 - 12:24pm / Post ID: #

World Cup Qualifications 2006
A Friend

World Cup Qualifications 2006 Sports & Fashion Music Movies

It is true, Arvhic, we Australians are hard done by. But someday we will have our turn... we just have to wait for it.
For the time being we just have to enjoy the games. We can't waste our time complaining about unfortunate treatment, when there are brilliant games of skilled football being played. Yes, It would be great for Oceania to get a better shot.

Soccer is the world game, we can't be complaining about it... let me make an exception here... we can ONLY complain about the referees, nothing else.
Life isn't fair and we have to deal with it, but don't let that take anything away from the glory of the game!
It's World Cup time again folks, let's just admire the skill of the world's most popular sport!

15th Nov, 2005 - 11:16am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Qualifications Cup World

After the first leg of the qualifiers here are the scores:

Trinidad&Tobago 1 1 Bahrain (Trinidad at home)
Uruguay 1 0 Australia (Uruguay at home)
Norway 0 1 Czech Republic (Norway)
Spain 5 1 Slovakia (Spain)
Switzerland 2 0 Turkey (Switzerland)

I saw the game between Australia and Uruguay and was very impressed with the Australian team. We totally dominated the first half in Montevideo and their goal came from a set piece that should never have been awarded. Another example of South American's cheating, no offence intended, but the amount of diving and play acting the Uruguans do is embarrassing. But they also had another few good chances.

Uruguay are a very good side and Recoba is pure genius. It is amazing they have less than 4 million people, that is remarkable considering their talent. The reverse leg is in Australia tomorrow and I can not wait. I believe we have an excellent chance this time. But we will see, both teams are very evenly matched and the 1-0 scoreline is also very even given that we have the return leg at home.

As for the rest: It looks like Bahrain are favourites here after holding Dwight Yorke's team to a draw. With all due respect to my Carribean mates on here, I don't believe neither Bahrain or Trinidad should have this opportunity when teams like Uruguay, Australia and several top European nations could miss out.

My other tips: Spain, Switzerland (they are actually quite good) and Czechs. One thing that has emerged with this world cup is a lot of new teams have/or will qualify. It is great for football.

Good luck to all teams!

15th Nov, 2005 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

Qualifications Cup World

I don't believe neither Bahrain or Trinidad should have this opportunity when teams like Uruguay, Australia and several top European nations could miss out.

The system works different to how you envision. The process of elimination is never truly fair, but you know, it is goals that win a game. It is not based on individual team performance, but goals scored within regions. If you are the best in your region then you move forward. This is done in many sports, but I do understand your contention. As for Trinidad & Tobago, all here are hoping for a victory in Bahrain if only to say that they reached the World Cup.

16th Nov, 2005 - 7:23pm / Post ID: #

World Cup Qualifications 2006

Another example of South American's cheating, no offence intended, but the amount of diving and play acting the Uruguans do is embarrassing.

Hey! no offence intended? I think you are stereotyping all South American teams and it's wrong. I do not personally think that the "acting up" comes from South-American teams only but this is something so common in football these days, it's a shame.

I don't believe neither Bahrain or Trinidad should have this opportunity when teams like Uruguay, Australia and several top European nations could miss out.

I do not know why you think Bahrain or Trinidad should not have such an opportunity, why? is it because they are not one of the "big" teams?. Every "big" starts starts "small" and I think every country should have such opportunity. But I figured out you are may be saying it out of frustation because of the performance that Australia had. I mean, you are putting Australia as a "big" team, and they are good...they are actually very good but they have not qualify for the World Cup since 1974 and now they have the same chance after defeating a great team like Uruguay and they are at the same level of Trinidad, Saudi Arabia, Germany or Argentina. Once a team qualifies, then every team is the same until the World Cup kicks off. In my humble opinion, of course.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Nov, 2005 - 8:31pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

World Cup Qualifications 2006 - Page 2

AUSTRALIA REACH SOCCER WORLD CUP

Australia are into the 2006 Soccer World Cup after beating Uruguay in a penalty shoot out in Sydney overnight.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~3481237a1823~,00.html

18th Nov, 2005 - 1:39pm / Post ID: #

World Cup Qualifications 2006 Movies Music Fashion & Sports - Page 2

LDS and JB, when I used to play State League football I played against several touring south american club teams and they always dived, play acted and carried on. That's not to say they were the only ones or that they are all like that. I used to do it on occasion if I had too, or I was genuinely beaten! haha. But generally speaking, the south americans are known for it in football circles. So are some of the European nations. I don't mean offence by saying that.

Certainly Uruguay are pretty bad at it. The amount of time they wasted over two legs was ridiculous and their only goal came from a set piece because of diving. In the end they were the ones who needed the time.

At the end of the day, if players get away with it then you can argue there is nothing wrong. But I think it is cheating and the ugly side to my game. FIFA keep promising they are going to stamp it out but I hardly ever see cards for it.

I'm not saying Australia is a big team at all. I think we are slightly better than our ranking of 59. But at present it is ridiculous that Australia should play off against a South American nation while both Asia and CONCACAF play off against each other. Oceania only has half a spot, not even one spot. CONCACAF has 3 1/2 and Asia 4 1/2. Now if Australia was in either of those two regions we would qualify every time, so while Oceania is easily the weakest confederation, it deserves a spot.

If Trinidad and Tobago or Bahrain had to qualify through South America I wouldn't fancy their chances. Of course we all know this is just politics and not based on what is fair. Every team has an opportunity to qualify, it's just the balance that needs correction. Europe doesn't deserve 16 spots, that again is politics.

Anyway it doesn't matter because we beat Uruguay and deserve to be there. This was no upset, we were the better team over two legs, unlike four years ago when they taught us a lesson.

I was at the game in Sydney. It was the best atmosphere of any football game I have been too and a night I will never forget. Now all I need to do is book my ticket for Germany.

Can I also congratulate Trinidad on qualifying and wish them the very best. I love seeing new teams emerge and it such a remarkable feat for a country with 1 million people. That would have to be some sort of record? In fact I am going to watch one of Trinidad's greats when Dwight Yorke plays for Sydney FC tomorrow night.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: World Cup Qualifications 2006

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,