"Under God" In The USA Pledge Of Allegiance?

God Usa Pledge Allegiance - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 20th Apr, 2015 - 4:35am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Discuss  " Under God" In USA Pledge Allegiance
15th Jun, 2004 - 2:39am / Post ID: #

What do you all think about the "Under god" Part of the Pledge of Allegiance? Was the Supreme Court correct in their decision?

international QUOTE
Supreme Court sidesteps pledge issue, ruling father has no right to sue
Monday, June 14, 2004
Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer

The U.S. Supreme Court brought two years of pleadings and passion over the Pledge of Allegiance to a crashing anticlimax Monday when it ruled that a Sacramento atheist, who challenged the phrase "Under God" In daily recitals in his daughter's classroom, had no right to sue on her behalf.

The court left the current version of the pledge intact but spurned pleas from opposing sides in the case to decide whether the language violates the constitutional separation of church and state.

The ruling came on Flag Day and the 50th anniversary of congressional passage of the law that added "Under God" To the pledge. It also came nearly two years after the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco issued a stunning decision that the pledge, those two words included, was an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion. Source

Image from Wikimedia public domain.

"Under God" In The USA Pledge Of Allegiance? (Hover)

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Jun, 2004 - 2:56am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Allegiance Pledge USA The Godquot quotUnder

This is from the same article.

Newdow "wishes to forestall his daughter's exposure to religious ideas that her mother, who wields a form of veto power, endorses," said Justice John Paul Stevens. "When hard questions of domestic relations are sure to affect the outcome, the prudent course is for the federal court to stay its hand rather than reach out to resolve a weighty question of federal constitutional law."

Seems to me that he has issues with the childs mother, and by taking this to court he is telling her ~ I am in the right.

also from the same article.
He disputed the court's conclusion that he lacked standing because he had no legal interests at stake in the case. When his daughter's class is led in an observance of loyalty to a nation under God, Newdow said, "My daughter's told that I'm wrong (in my beliefs) every day in the public schools."

He could have found a better way to address this. The child's mother is a Christian, thus the way she lives her life is also telling the daughter that her father's beliefs (or lack of them) are wrong. Teach the daughter that we all have choices. We can choose to believe in nothing, or we can choose to believe in God. Don't teach the child to go to court every time you have a disagreement with someone or when you can't always get your own way.

Reconcile Edited: AGene on 15th Jun, 2004 - 2:58am

Post Date: 5th Sep, 2013 - 2:13pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

"Under God" In The USA Pledge Of Allegiance? History & Civil Business Politics

Lawyers, judges debate 'under God' phrase in Pledge of Allegiance

Attorneys, judges debated whether the phrase "Under God" In the Pledge of Allegiance violated equal rights. Ref. Source 6

Post Date: 22nd Apr, 2014 - 1:06pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Family sues N.J. District over 'under God' in pledge

Lawsuit claims wording alienates atheists, humanists and violates state constitution. Ref. Source 7

Post Date: 11th Sep, 2014 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

A Friend

international QUOTE
The lawsuit claims the practice of using the words "Under God" Is in violation of the equal protection clause of the New Jersey constitution, which states: "No person shall be denied the enjoyment of any civil or military right, nor be discriminated against in the exercise of any civil or military right, nor be segregated in the militia or in the public schools, because of religious principles, race, color, ancestry or national origin."

All religions have a god of some sort, so acknowledging a god in a pledge doesn't discriminate against anyone's religion.

Atheism is not a religion. It is simply the absence of a religion. Atheism is neither religious principle, race, color, ancestry, nor national origin; thus, not protected under the New Jersey constitution.

22nd Feb, 2015 - 8:21pm / Post ID: #

Why are liberal Americans so zealous about getting "God " Out of the picture when it was God who put us here and gave us freedom in the first place? I do not want to turn this thread into a religious rant but it was religious, god fearing people that started America you can't change the roots of it all no matter how many laws you introduce.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 2 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.2%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Mar, 2015 - 8:21pm / Post ID: #

"Under God" The USA Pledge Allegiance

In the original post this might have all just been a revenge tactic for personal interests and not really about the pledge. I mean for me this is such a trivial issue. If you don't believe in god then no problem, the rest of the words are still important.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

20th Apr, 2015 - 4:35am / Post ID: #

"Under God" The USA Pledge Allegiance Politics Business Civil & History

Some people go so over the top with their views I swear their feet leaves the ground so their head can be in the clouds. Even if you don't like "God..." In the allegiance how does it 'damage' you for saying it? So much more to life than nitpicking.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 23 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.3%

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: "Under God" In The USA Pledge Of Allegiance?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,