Defending Your Home

Defending Home - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 15th Jun, 2004 - 6:12am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Tips on what to do to make your home more secure
6th Mar, 2004 - 1:32am / Post ID: #

Defending Your Home

Personally I am a fanatic of security... I am ever suspicious of anyone around the area, especially if I have never seen them before. I have seen criminals in action, so I know how burglars, especially the petty ones tend to move. Here is some things I learnt, not all may apply to your country, but they are useful for someone in the Caribbean.

1. Burglar proofing! Very important. A mistake people make is to put it on the outside of the window, keep it on the inside... it is very difficult for thieves to cut it that way.

2. Metal doors if possible and on wooden doors, metal plates around the locks and hinges. Sounds exaggerated? Not really, most thieves get in through your back door... why? Because you make it so simple for them!

3. No hiding of keys under stones, mat, etc.

4. Do not keep the same hours. Always leave and return to your home at a different time, give the appearance that someone is always home. TV on, radio, etc.

5. Never hurts to have an alarm system and test it too so they will know that it is one of the things to contend with...

6. Besides your regular phone... a Cell so if they cut wire you still have communication.

There is loads more, but cannot think of all now... fingers tired wink.gif

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
6th Mar, 2004 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

Home Defending

When on vacation arrange for a friend or neighbor to bring in your mail and newspapers or temporarily delay deliver until you return.

Get those timers that can be used to turn your lights on and off automatically in the house. Then set them so that they go on at different times in different rooms and off at random times as well.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 7th Mar, 2004 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

Defending Your Home
A Friend

Defending Your Home History & Civil Business Politics

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 6-Mar 04, 11:51 AM)
Get those timers that can be used to turn your lights on and off automatically in the house.

I use these so that the lights will be on when I get home from work. That way I am not walking into a dark house. I also have then to go out at 10pm. When the lights go out, I go to bed laugh.gif:-->laugh.gif

Motion sensor outdoor lights are great too. My friends have them at the beginning of their 1/4 mile driveway. This alerts them to visitors before the knock on the door.

If you have a memory phone, key the number one to dial 911. That way if something does happen and you can not talk, at least by punching 1 you are summoning help.

Many of us have cordless phones. They are great, but there is a Huge drawback. When the power is out, so is the phone. Be sure to have a basic phone plugged in also. Mine is the kitchen phone. Simple, basic, $6.95 wall phone.

Post Date: 6th May, 2004 - 3:12am / Post ID: #

Defending Your Home
A Friend

Home Defending

When on vacation arrange for a friend or neighbor to bring in your mail and newspapers

Also get them to check the valve to your water supply. It's common here for thieves to swich off your water. They come back a couple of days later and if it's still off, they know you haven't been home.

20th May, 2004 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

Home Defending

That's great idea, I think also that to put the radio or music on it may help to disguise the situation.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 14th Jun, 2004 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

Defending Your Home
A Friend

Defending Your Home

Always use deadbolts. I'm an amateur locksmith, and it's amazing how insecure door knob locks are. To a theif who knows a little, the lock in a door knob is an obstacle that will only take them a few seconds to bypass.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Jun, 2004 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

Defending Your Home
A Friend

Defending Home

I live in a circa 1970's mobile home. The front door is like a regular house door. Solid core wood, the same thickness as a house door. BUT the jam where the deadbolt would go into is just a 2 x 4 thickness. The outside skin of the house is aluminum - typical 1970's mobile home stuff. Take a good sharp utility knife or linoleum knife and you can cut it away. One of the living room windows looks out on the porch. A good kick and the window is a goner. A dead bolt won't really stop anyone. That is why I have a phone in every room!

This is just a double wide, 24 feet wide X 60 feet long. Two bedroom, one bath off of the "family" room. That bathroom opens into the extra bedroom where I have a phone. I always keep that bedroom door closed so you can't see me going in from the bathroom.

If someone were to kick in the window or front door, I can grab a phone punch the 1 button and drop the receiver and either face off whoever it is, or hide, depending on which room I am in at the time.

The kitchen door is the typical mobile home door. Crappy! I have a 1/4 " diameter stainless rod jammed from the track of the window into the jam going in at a bit of an angle. They can't kick this door in as it opens out. They could work the window out, but they are going to get cut in the process. If they are really tugging on the door, I could work the rod loose then unlock the door and watch them sail over backwards.

That is why I have an 18" long crescent wrench right next to my bed. I used to have a Landlord (back in the 70's) that got his jollies by entering the apartments of his single female tenants and ahem, well ~ I woke up and let him have it with the wrench~ broke his elbow, and nearly broke his knees. Then I turned on the light and called the police.

One other thing ~ get to know your neighbors and keep in contact with them on a regular basis. Nothing beats a neighbor that likes you. I am very fortunate that everyone on my street all know one another and we look out for each other too. When I take a trip to visit my family 400 miles away ~ I let ALL of the neighbors know when I will be gone. I give them all the number where I will be at in case of an emergency. I also introduce them to who will be coming over to take care of the cats and how often they will be there.

I have a gun, but I really don't ever plan on using it. Mayhaps I should sell the thing.

Post Date: 15th Jun, 2004 - 6:12am / Post ID: #

Defending Your Home
A Friend

Defending Home Politics Business Civil & History

One thing I see a lot, are people installing metal bars in the window. Which I wouldn't suggest. You put yourself in a bad situation for escaping from a house fire.

> TOPIC: Defending Your Home

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,