Discipline In Education - Page 2 of 3

My brother is now 13 and in the 8th grade, - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 3rd Oct, 2006 - 6:17pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
2nd Jul, 2004 - 12:08pm / Post ID: #

Discipline In Education - Page 2

Tenaheff, if you were that parent, who left discipline for the school to handle, I don't see why the parent would have any say in whether their child deserved to be hit by a soft-cover book on the top of your head.

My post is not specific to that incident. That is not true corporal punishment in the school system. Some school systems have in place policies that allow a school administrator to paddle a child. An actual spanking. That is what I am objecting to.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 16th Mar, 2005 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

Discipline In Education
A Friend

Education Discipline

It isn't for teachers to decide if spanking a student is right. That is for parents only to decide. My parents have never hit me. It isn't right for someone else to decide they will.

9th Sep, 2005 - 4:26am / Post ID: #

Discipline In Education UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Most students are reasonable if treated in the correct manner. Too much of school discipline is meant to instill fear in the pupil. Fear is a seed of rebellion. Granted, by the time a middle school teacher gets a class, they have been conditioned by their previous school experiences, and may be very difficult to change. However, a good teacher who is a natural leader will usually be able to gain the respect of the class by respecting them. Teachers (especially subsitutes) who enter the classroom with the "Sit down, little heathens" attitude, spoken or unspoken, will rarely have obedient classes, and they will even more rarely touch or teach anybody. Children are little people, and they can tell when they are resented, feared, loved, or ignored.

Post Date: 2nd Nov, 2005 - 12:39pm / Post ID: #

Discipline In Education
A Friend

Page 2 Education Discipline

Well, I am the school captain of quite a strict Christian School, and I must say it isn't easy. Because it is a Christian School we have either Christian Students or Students who have been expelled from other schools. This results is ANARCHY!

The behavior of students is about Attitude and their belief of what is 'cool'. A friend of mine always tells me that he just wants to argue with the teachers. (I think it makes him feel big (even if he is already over 6 foot)).
I see students back chatting and just disregarding whatever an authority figure says. This is hard to watch, because I have been brought up with discipline.
Discipline is NOT saying to a child "That is naughty, don't do it"... Discipline is a smacked bottom! I believe it is the best way... and I was brought up with it... and so I am proof that it works. I thank my parents every day that they disciplined me right.

At my school we still have the cane/paddle. It doesn't do much though. Like I have said, the main problem is attitude. Children these days are growing up with the attitude that they can do whatever they want, and that is society's fault. Mainstream media saying being smacked is wrong, gets children into the mindset that they can do anything and not be touched... which in fact is pretty much true these days.

behavior starts with attitude, and that is dealt with at home. I believe we should stick with what works, no pain no gain.

2nd Nov, 2005 - 12:58pm / Post ID: #

Education Discipline

Discipline is NOT saying to a child "That is naughty, don't do it"... Discipline is a smacked bottom! I believe it is the best way... and I was brought up with it... and so I am proof that it works.

I am not in agreement that discipline is a smacked botton. Discipline can be imposed in some many ways, I strongly believe physical punishment should be the last resort not the first and only one. Here where I live in Trinidad I would say 95% of the parents believe in physical punishment (NOT just spanking) and even the teachers within the school system were allowed to hit children strongly for the most stupid reasons (not doing homework or talking in class, my husband experienced this when he was a child) until they finally stopped it by law but some teachers cannot let it go and they continue doing it. I met many, many people like you who said were brought up in that way and that they thank the parents for it. You will not believe the kind of issues they have (please, don't take it personal, I am just talking about the people I know). They do not realised it but they have serious psychological issues consequence of the way they have been brought up. I think is sad.

Offtopic but,
You have to see some of the kids here in Trinidad, sometimes you go to a place and you see 3/4/5 years old children so silent that you have doubts whether they are breathing or not. They never smile and everybody compliments the parents for having such "disciplined" children, only a look by the parents is all they need. The saddest part is that you know how they reached that stage.

Post Date: 4th Nov, 2005 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

Discipline In Education
A Friend

Discipline In Education

Yes, true... I was speaking too much from my personal discourse.
Of course physical punishment should not be the only punishment and it won't work with some people.
I just got a little fired up because here in Australia they are calling any kind of physical punishment 'Child Abuse' (even a little smack on the hand).

The principle of punishment works a lot like motivation. Some people need intrinsic motivation and others need extrinsic motivation.
In discipline it is the same case, sometimes physical discipline is the only form that works, other cases may be that physical discipline is too extreme and the person being disciplined doesn't react well to that form.
I apologize for my previous statement which was a bit hot headed.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Nov, 2005 - 8:14pm / Post ID: #

Discipline Education - Page 2

I agree Wolf, I think it all depends upon the individual but definetly I think parents in general should try first different kind of methods of discipline before they use physical punishment. What happens is that is so much "easier" and a "natural" reaction somehow to give a spank (especially if the child is doing something really wrong or dangerous) but definetly is not the best method. Regards to the school system itself, I think teachers or principals have no right whatsoever to touch ANY child that is not theirs.

Offtopic but,
No need to apologize Wolf wink.gif, this is the wonderful thing about this forum, we can disagree without becoming disagreable, so please do not apologize for giving your opinion. Nobody would get upset as long as it is giving in a nice way. Thanks for your input!

Post Date: 3rd Oct, 2006 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

Discipline In Education
A Friend

Discipline Education Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 2

My brother is now 13 and in the 8th grade, but when he was in the 1st grade, there was a girl in his class that showed him how to "flip someone the bird". The teacher caught him and not the girl, so he was the one that got paddled. The thing that upset my mother was that my brother had no clue what he was in trouble for. Students, of ANY age, need to have an understanding of the reason why they are being punished.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Discipline In Education

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,