Should Nations Negotiate With Captors?

Should Nations Negotiate Captors - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 2nd Jun, 2014 - 10:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Negotiate with Terrorists - Prisoner Exchange - POW - Prisoners of War.
Post Date: 26th Jun, 2004 - 1:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

With almost weekly beheading of foreign nationals. Should nations negotiate with captors when it comes down to saving their citizens lives ?

Sponsored Links:
26th Jun, 2004 - 4:03pm / Post ID: #

Captors Negotiate Nations Should

No. If you do that, you are actually encouraging even more such kidnappings. OF course, on the other hand, when hostages are taken in other criminal activities like a bank robbery for example, negotiation does take place. However, demands are seldom met. Usually it is just an attempt to talk them out of the situation without the hostages being hurt.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

12th Dec, 2004 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Should Nations Negotiate With Captors? History & Civil Business Politics

My first answer should say no and that's because I'm thinking and talking about strangers, people I don't even know but if I think about one of my loved ones being a situation like that, I bet I will demand my country to negotiate to spare their lives!

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 15th Dec, 2004 - 1:57am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well, I think it depends on the situation and what the demands are. I do believe that if it's within our power and we aren't giving anything too vital up, even if it is to just get the hostages out of it, then go for it. Like LDS said, a lot of times in bank situations they make the negotiation but it's never carried through. Of course, that could lead to more hostages in the war situation.

Then there's a part of me that says no because we don't want to appear weak. If we give in, then we aren't standing firm. I also agree with LDS though that there's a difference in our thinking when it's a stranger and if it were a family member.

So that's a hard question to answer strictly yes or no to.

31st Jan, 2005 - 8:06am / Post ID: #

I guess I am looking at this a bit more pointedly. The question started out mentioning beheadings, so I am assuming we are dealing with terrorist and not bank robbers. If this is the case, then there should be no negotiation. However, there should be communication to verify that the person has been captured and what has happened to them. Personally, I think the news services give the terrorist a huge boost by televising the beheadings. I know it is news, but the spectacle is something we don't really need to see and is great publicity for the terrorist. Remember: Any publicity is good publicity - nothing could be truer for these groups. The acknowledgment of a lost life is important, not the "Showtime" that comes with it. Cutting them deals would only lead to more of the same...it would be a reward.

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

31st Jan, 2005 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

Well, darius asked if one should negotiate with captors. My answer would have to be yes. Negotiating won't hurt. Show the captors that you are taking them seriously. By talking to the terrorists, one might even convinces them that their actions are wrong and get them to overthink their actions.

Now, giving in to the captors' demands, that's a completely different story. It would depend on what they want. If all they want is money, or some means of escape (e.g. a car or a boat), the country should comply. A human life is more valuable than a car or money. Though if they ask for something like the release of a criminal, retreat of troops, or something similar, the demands should not be met, since not only would this demonstrate weakness, but also needlessly endanger other people. Always remember, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

But just doing nothing is an even bigger sign of weakness. If the number of hostages is large, a military rescue mission should be considered, if the number of hostages is small, one should make sure that if the captors decide to kill the hostages that they suffer some sort of consequences, so that they might be less inclined to harm a hostage.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 31st Jan, 2005 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Should Nations Negotiate Captors

My answer is :yes, but surprising enough US policy not to, gives results. Maybe they consider the average villain will brake and sadly this is the case, so upon a study of the statistics: do not cooperate!

Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2014 - 10:37pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Should Nations Negotiate Captors Politics Business Civil & History

Is it ever right to negotiate with terrorists?

Security experts say it's more common than people want to believe. Ref. USAToday

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Should Nations Negotiate With Captors?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,