Your Child - A Liar?

Your Child Liar - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 31st Jul, 2004 - 4:10am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 28th Jun, 2004 - 3:21pm / Post ID: #

Your Child - A Liar?

Does your child have a problem with telling lies? Is she able to tell an untruth without remorse or bother about the possible consequences? If so, what do you think caused this? What do you feel is the cure? Could this have stemmed from something she learned from you?

Sponsored Links:
14th Jul, 2004 - 7:27pm / Post ID: #

Liar - Child Your

My 9-year old will sometimes fabricate the truth because she is afraid of the consequences that will follow if she did tell us the truth, because it may lead to punishment for her. What I have done in situations like those is explain to her that lying about what happened, and us finding out later that she did lie, would lead to far greater consequences than if she told us the truth to begin with. I dont think her behavior is out of the norm for kids, in fact, adults often do the same when confronted with situations where telling the truth would reflect badly on them. I just try to reassure my daughter that she can come to me with anything, whether it be bad or good. If it is bad, and warrants punishment, then so be it. If it is good, and warrants praise, then that is given.

Post Date: 30th Jul, 2004 - 7:01am / Post ID: #

Your Child - A Liar?
A Friend

Your Child - A Liar? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

My 6 y/o has just recently started lying. Fortunately for hubster and I, he's pretty bad at it right now. We confront him on this when it happens and ask him why he lied. He's special needs, and one of his challenges is being globally delayed. Cognitively he's only about 4.5 y/o. His grasp of right and wrong, reality and fantasy is pretty sketchy. He doesn't know why he does it. Thank goodness for now, his mistruths are only about inconsequential things. As to where he's learned this behavior... my best guess is it's something he's picked up from a couple of the "charmers" at daycare.

31st Jul, 2004 - 4:10am / Post ID: #

Liar - Child Your

My 6-year-old and I have had to talk about this issue a lot in the past year or so. She wants very much to tell me things that aren't true, and she wants me to believe her. I know when she's lying. And she gets completely mystified that I can figure it out. "How do you *know* that?" she asks me.

Mostly she lies because she wants to have as much experience as other people have had -- so she makes up a story about something that happened to someone else, but tries to make it sound like it happened to her. Of course, I know it's not true. And I try to make her understand that it's not a good thing to "tell stories" that never happened.

So far, we haven't had to punish because she admits she's making it up and we have a hug and discussion is over. I try not to make too big of a deal about it. However, if I ever catch her in a 'whopper' that she won't admit to? We may be in for it...

Roz

> TOPIC: Your Child - A Liar?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,