Deciding What Religous Beliefs To Impose On Kids - Page 2 of 4

I believe I might have a bit of fresh insight - Page 2 - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 16th Feb, 2006 - 5:42pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 2nd Jul, 2004 - 8:22pm / Post ID: #

Deciding What Religous Beliefs To Impose On Kids
A Friend

Deciding What Religous Beliefs To Impose On Kids - Page 2

open letter from god this is something that was forwarded to me from my sister today..she forwards lots of stuff to me, but the fact that she sent this one out of the blue really makes me believe there are higher powers at work(i'm not sure if the link is going to work i've never done that before....if it doesn't, can someone tell me how to do it! or can they do it correctly in their reply ? for those that think there religion is the best...do you really think everyone that doesn't believe as you do is wrong?

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jul, 2004 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

Kids Impose Beliefs Religous Deciding

for those that think there religion is the best...do you really think everyone that doesn't believe as you do is wrong?

We seem to be straying off topic a bit here. We probably have another thread that covers that question (and if not we could start one smile.gif ).

Roz

Post Date: 19th Sep, 2004 - 4:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Deciding What Religous Beliefs To Impose On Kids Beliefs Religious General

Finding a religion to raise a child has been difficult. I was raised Catholic but when I was a pre-teen I wanted to find God & his church. I knew he couldn't have wanted people praying to the Virgin Mary or other Saints, why couldn't people pray to God directly? As a teenager I wandered away, I got involved with Wicca, a big mistake with you're casting spells and not knowing what you're doing. Later in my teens, I did meet my back yard neighbor, a boy who was LDS. I liked what he believed in, but my mother didn't allow me to join the church at all. It wasn't until my late teens, out of high school did I run into another LDS member who introduced me to the missionaries. I was baptized at 19years old but at 23 years old I left the church. I remained without a church for many years until I returned home one day aged 36 & my son's father was talking to LDS missionaries. He converted and we went to church again as a family. When my son & I moved away to live with another family, we didn't return to church. We had the opportunity to visit Assembly of God churches in the neighborhood, I just never fit in with their beliefs. Now, my son is 8 1/2yrs old and asking lots of questions, I decided to go back a few months ago to the LDS church and get him baptized & involved. I haven't regretted that decision.

Post Date: 19th Sep, 2004 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Kids Impose Beliefs Religous Deciding

That is all fine and good. I was raised mormon. My parents were converts. I think if you do it right then mormonism would be the best way to raise Kids. The downside to that is if you do it the wrong way. If you use any religion as a yoke of oppression and a means to control your children then it becomes imposing and you can really do some damage. Now mormons that were raised right seem to be the most well adjusted genuine people I have met (most of them). the ones raised wrong are really messed up. I think that well adjusted parents will raise well adjusted kids. They will teach more by example and that is just as important as the religion itself. Throw in some child psycology don't beat them and maybe they will turn out. My parents were 1.5 for 6. I would be the half. We would have been better off being raised by wolves. I wouldn't dare try to raise any kids right now. Until I feel I wont mess them up.

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2005 - 6:27am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Kids Impose Beliefs Religous Deciding

I was raised in a Christian home believing that the Bible was not only absolute truth, but absolutely perfect, the word of God, infallible. When I got older, I went about studying the Bible my self and found answers for myself despite what I was taught. While I no longer hold onto those beliefs, I needed them when I was a child. Having firm beliefs, even though "imposed" by my parents, gave me strength, especially through my teen years. Children need stability when they are younger but need to know that its ok to find answers for themselves. Its hard enough finding out answers to the rest of life while growing up without having to search for God as well. I have three children and don't know what to teach them. I do however, want them to know that God exists and does care about them. Whether they decide that what I believe is true or not is up to them when they get old enough to discern the truth. Even if they chose to go the church with my parents and believe the way I was raised, I will support them and not make any attempt to tear down what they believe is truth. I want my children to be confident in there beliefs regarding God so that they feel that if no one in the world cares, at least there is one person they can talk too when no one is around.

21st Jan, 2005 - 1:35am / Post ID: #

I don't think you should impose any one religion, at least not until your child has reached a level of independent thinking. Because if you teach your child from an early age about something, your child is still in the level where he thinks dad or mom are always right. And I think religious beliefs should be of the child's own insight.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Feb, 2006 - 12:32pm / Post ID: #

Deciding Religous Beliefs Impose Kids - Page 2

I have been in about 6 different religions in my life, having being brought up Methodist, I decided it wasn't for me, and have attended a lot of different churches "looking" for a religion that I could fit in with. I think that children do need the stability of being brought up with a religion, but feel that it is also your children's choice to question whether they believe that the religion is what they themselves choose to be involved in when they are older.If nothing else, your children would come away with strong moral values, and a more caring attitude towards others in the world.After having brought up my 16 year old son attending church,he is a level headed young man with morals, I have now started bringing my 2 young children to church and Sunday school, and they certainly look forward to going, I don't have to "make" them go... and absolutely never would.

Post Date: 16th Feb, 2006 - 5:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Deciding Religous Beliefs Impose Kids General Religious Beliefs - Page 2

I believe I might have a bit of fresh insight into this topic.

First of all, in my opinion, no one should press their believes on children. You should share it with them. Or if you have none, or if you are unsure about what you believe in that is fine too, just let them find their own way, with a little help of keeping them informed and answering their questions like they are adults.

Perhaps you will find a path with them?

And for Deus's (I picked up a polite term for any divinity may or may not believe in I believe.) sake don't shove them into camps or classes of a single religion when they are young. (I'm not getting into psychology here now.)

Instead raise them to be strong and capable of independen thought.

(personal rant)

I have been raised a Christian, even had bible studies and the like. Some of it stuck but I don't consider myself a true christian anymore. There were numerous things that put me off mainstream christianity both when I was a child and now and I will not bore you with discussing specific religion in this topic.

Now I have this general feeling that it does not mater what a person belives in as long as it does not harm others.

Personally I believe reincarnation is a nice thought. (And why would I want nirvana? Earth is much more fun )

If there is a one God, he (she loves us all and is certainly powerful enough to ensure our spirit will learn, grow and that we will get what we deserve and believe. (Good or bad.)

Isn't it possible we are all right?

(/personal rant)

Edit, ok... I fixed the garbage in the post... How it got past spelcheck is a mystery

Message Edited!
I erased the 6 characters faces you had on this post. Keep in mind that this is a mature and intellectual forum, there is no need for such thing. Thanks

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 16th Feb, 2006 - 8:30pm

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Deciding What Religous Beliefs To Impose On Kids

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,