Online Lds Singles Matchmaking?

Online Lds Singles Matchmaking - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Aug, 2005 - 4:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

?
Poll: Have you ever signed up and used a full blown LDS related Dating site?
  Yes       100.00%
  No       0.00%
Total Votes: 2
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Can you really find serious LDS standard people that are 'marriage material' through an online site?
2nd Jul, 2004 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

Online Lds Singles Matchmaking?

bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showforum=120 was actually featured once by an LDS E-magazine when LDS Singles sites were starting to get popular. In those days we used a special script that we discontinued in exchange for the forum. We had more sign up then for it, than they do now with this system mostly because (in our opinion) because a forum like this is more public. In any case do you use one of those online LDS Singles sites? If you do just tell us how it is working out for you, but please do not advertise their services - this is not what this thread is about. Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
6th Jul, 2004 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

Matchmaking Singles Lds Online

I belong to one and have checked out a few others. Not much results though. Went on one date. Have a regular conversation with someone who lives over 800 miles from me, so chances of meeting are slim.

23rd Aug, 2005 - 4:56pm / Post ID: #

Online Lds Singles Matchmaking? Studies Doctrine Mormon

There are so many of these sites out there. There is Singles, Mingles, Planet, Pals and Promise. And let's not forget Hearts and HotSaints just to name a few. THe fact that there are so many of these sites would at least indicate that people are using them, otherwise the revenue streams would dry up and they would not exist.

But regardless of the shear volume of these match sites, I question how well they work. I have had the opportunity to talk to a few people that have used some of these sites. The general consensus does not reflect well for them.

I think that the nature of online dating lends itself very well to the secular world. But I wonder how valid it is for non-secular individuals. By nature, spiritual matters are just too difficult to dicern from text that someone has written in their profile. It is something that needs to be experienced in person. For example:

"I truly enjoy the love that the lord shows me each and every day. My life is so much richer because of the gospel and its teachings, and I can not imagine life without it."

How easy was it for me to type those words. There are no actions behind them, they are just words on a page. For all anyone knows, they can all be nothing more than empty and meaningless to reflect what I think others want to hear. That is the problem with online dating. It is all typed words, posted pictures and instant messages. And then when the people do finally meet, reality RARELY meets expectations. I also might be a bit jadded, but individuals (secular and non-secular alike) that I have spoken to that have used these services, almost all without exception, have stories of the decpetions that take place.

It is just too easy to paint yourself in any type of light you see fit. To fluff up your profile. You are selling a product (yourself), and obviously everyone is going to try to put this product in the best light possible. These online profiles are nothing more than mini product advertisements. First , you have the product photography. You are obviously going to try to show the product in the best light possible. Perfect hair, make-up just right, your best cloths. Then there are the product claims. Again, the copy is going to be written in such a way that everyone will think this is the best product ever, and that everyone must have it. And then lets not forget the printing on the back of the box, the nutritional facts and ingredients; 5' 10", fit and athletic, spiritually strong and active, tall and distinguished with dark hair and eyes and a great sense of humor.

This can lead to high expectations that can come to a loud and thunderous crash when you finally meet the person. I just think this is the nature of online match services, and is their greatest pitfall. I think that even the best intentioned individuals will get caught up in this trap...it is just the nature of the beast.

Larry

Reconcile Edited: utahfuntimes on 23rd Aug, 2005 - 4:57pm

> TOPIC: Online Lds Singles Matchmaking?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,