Your Ideal World

Your Ideal World - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 10th Jul, 2004 - 9:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

We spend so much time discussing the problems, lets make a change and chat about some of the ideas we want to see...
Post Date: 8th Jul, 2004 - 9:44pm / Post ID: #

Your Ideal World

We spend so much time discussing the problems of the world, lets make a change and chat about some of the ideas we want to see.... This thread has been started with the idea to discuss your IDEAL world, please share details. Of course this will be based on your personal concept and not based necessarily on divine intervention. In other words - if there were generally good people in the world (not perfect) then how do you see us getting along? You may consider the following:

1. World economics
2. Crime levels
3. Religious Groups
4. Racial concepts
5. Traditions and cultures

Your Ideal World
Your Ideal World (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
10th Jul, 2004 - 9:32am / Post ID: #

World Ideal Your

Perhaps this question could be looked at from the point of view of starting a civilisation too? If you were shipwrecked with others on an isolated island withlittle chance of discovery, or if - in earlier days - you had left with a company of people to settle a new land.

Firstly, let me say that the problem with addressing this issue is that regardless of what any one if us would want, we cannot run rough shod over the views of others.

Here are *my* views then on the questions raised...

1. World economics

I believe the general principle here is free enterprise and free trade. The "free" bit means "free from government intervention". Governments may legitimately protect their borders, and they may declare those who trade with current enemies to be in the wrong but other than this economics should be a non-political matter.

2. Crime levels

Make sure the punishment fits the crime, that it is neither too lenient or too harsh. Define a crime traditionally where there is a victim/a violation of rights and an intent to do harm. Repeal all other so-called "crimes" and allow people to be free. Repeal all anti-discrimination/hate crimes etc. and allow the freedom of speech and choice.

3. Religious Groups

Allow full freedom of religion, including the freedom to espouse secular philosophies. Keep the state as an organization and the church as an organization, separate. Repeal laws which misinterpret the latter to mean separation of politics and religion.

4. Racial concepts

See my above comments. Treat everyone the same under the law and do not make special laws which oppress some part of society under the excuse of emancipating some other part of society.

5. Traditions and cultures

It is important than separate racial cultures retain their own identity by possessing sovereign status as a nation. Cultures within races may also establish their own sovereign state in or within a part of a territory of such nation.

I would like to see a very limited central government, sovereign states within that nation, stronger local governments and - most powerful of all - family and individual government. Laws would be very basic *but* groups (at state or lcoal level) could form covenant societies to liveby higher laws according to their religion, etc. (so one society might allow gambling, another not) *but* these "higher laws" must be agreed upon by all in that society and not imposed. Only basic laws can be imposed (murder, theft, rape, etc.).

The secret to a good society, I believe, is to enforce the basic fundamental rights (to life, liberty and property) and to *allow* those who wish to live by higher laws to do so. We live in an impossible situation today where, due to centralisation, people increasingly cannot be different and thus their freedom is undermined. For example, if the central government decides if gambling is illegal or not then there will always be losers whatever they decide.

I daresay a lot of the above should be qualified, but I'm out of time wink.gif

Dubhdara.

> TOPIC: Your Ideal World

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,