Felt Like A Missionary Again

Felt Missionary Again - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Jul, 2004 - 2:35am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2004 - 10:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This past weekend, my wife, 2 of my 4 kids and I flew to Puerto Vallarta for a few days of relaxation. We rented a car and drove north of town about 45 minutes and stayed in a little mexican village on the coast. Been there a few times before and really like the area. I searched on the internet to try and find the closest ward or branch but the closest I could find was in Puerto Vallarta, farther away than we really wanted to go to attend church, so we didnt bring any church clothes.

The town we were at is Lo de marcos, but it is too small for even a gas station or bank, both of which we needed, so we drove about 10 miles farther north on Saturday to La Penita to get some fuel and money. We were sitting in an open air restaurant, enjoying the nice tropical breeze when two missionaries walk by. We called them over and I asked if there is a branch in this town. One elder was from Mexico City and the other from Idaho Falls. They responded that as of tomorrow, there would be because they were organizing the first branch in La Penita. They have about 20 members and the President of the Guadalajara mission and his wife would be there, as well as the President of the Mexico North area, Elder Whetten. My mothers name is Whetten and they are second cousins.

So, we showed up the next day at 10:00 AM for church. First time in my life I attended church in shorts and a t-shirt. My wife broke down and bought a dress. The church was a small house at the top of a hill overlooking the Pacific. In addition to my family and the above mentioned leaders, there were about 20 local members in addition to the District Presidency for the Puerto Vallarta district. It was a great meeting, I felt like I was on a mission again, attending a small branch in a distant corner of the Lord's vineyard. The elder from Mexico City was sustained as the 1st branch president. The mission president had to explain how to vote in favor by raising the right hand. First experience for many of them. Great talks and testimonies were given, a children's choir sang I Am A Child of God. They had one priest and one deacon to handle the sacrament. Afterwards, they asked me to take pictures of the group outside. Some day I'll be able to go back and say I was there for the 1st ever meeting of La Penita branch.

It also rejuvenated a desire to serve a mission again some day.

Sponsored Links:
20th Jul, 2004 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Again Missionary Like Felt

That was a great experience, one that I would like to do in my own mission. I guess you wished that you took at least a white shirt and tie huh?

It also rejuvenated a desire to serve a mission again some day.

The Church actually has a web site just for that now. I am sure by the time you or I are ready to go serving a Couple's Mission will be second nature.

21st Jul, 2004 - 1:17am / Post ID: #

Felt Like A Missionary Again Studies Doctrine Mormon

What a wonderful story Gaucho! thanks for sharing it with us. I think experiences like that, humble us so much and make us closer to the Savior. smile.gif

21st Jul, 2004 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

Thank you for sharing that with us, gaucho! It brought tears to my eyes smile.gif What a great thing to have happening in such a remote area. And it's happening all over the world...

Roz

Post Date: 25th Jul, 2004 - 5:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Click the link below to view some photos of this trip. The picture taken just after sacrament meeting shows the members in attendance the day the branch of La Penita was organized. Elder Whetten of the Seventy is in the back, partially hidden by the leaf of a tree. His wife is just in front of him. The President of the Guadalajara mission, Pres. Anderson and his wife are on the front row toward the left, the missionaries, back row left. The others are all local leaders, members, or investigators. Included is the Presidency of the Puerto Vallarta District.

The other pictures are beach and town shots. Shown are my wife and two daughters. I guess I never got my ugly face in a photo because I took all the pictures.

https://www.rogerspics.photosite.com/

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 25th Jul, 2004 - 5:23pm

26th Jul, 2004 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

What a beautiful group of Saints!!! Everytime I see pictures like that, really humbles me and makes me want to do the best I can in my life. Thanks for sharing the pics with us smile.gif

Offtopic but,
You have a very nice wife and beautiful daughters!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Felt Like A Missionary Again

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,