Elder Thomas S. Monson

Elder Thomas S Monson - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Aug, 2004 - 7:13pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Style of writing
26th Jul, 2004 - 12:50am / Post ID: #

Elder Thomas S. Monson

A great man, most likely our next Prophet, but sometimes I just cannot relate to his talks. Do not get me wrong, they are teaching the word of God, but not in a way I can get excited about. They seem to be all based a lot on Utahn / USA life which is hard to relate to if you are an outsider. Most of his talks begin like... 'When I was a young boy...' and then he shares a story. I am not sure if locals (those in the US) will feel that way, but maybe an outsider will see it?

Sponsored Links:
26th Jul, 2004 - 1:57am / Post ID: #

Monson S Thomas Elder

I know what you mean JB wink.gif I suppose he just shares his personal experiencies, who knows, if he becomes a Prophet he may change a little bit his Utahns stories biggrin.gif but all his stories have great teachings behind them. I remember one in particular when he said that his father's uncle was a very old man and was on a weelchair. Every Sunday afternoon, Pres. Monson's father will ask him if he wanted to go for a ride on his car, of course Pres. Monson said yes and they would go to visit this uncle, the father will hold the guy on his arms, put him on the car and take him for a drive. Pres. Monson said the father will do this every Sunday until the uncle passed away and he ended 'Everytime I think of the story of the Good-Samaritan, I think of my father and his poor uncle'.

26th Jul, 2004 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

Elder Thomas S. Monson Studies Doctrine Mormon

Oh dear,

I thought it was just me who felt that way. Most people I know love his manner; I'm more of a Maxwell/Packer/Ballard/McConkie man but I do enjoy Elder Scott very much...other thread wink.gif

Dubhdara

Post Date: 2nd Aug, 2004 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

Elder Thomas S. Monson
A Friend

Monson S Thomas Elder

President Monson has always been a favorite of mine. He has a great talent as a storyteller, using parables to teach gospel truths. I can see where his storys may not mean the same to someone who grew up in a different culture, it may be difficult to relate to his experiences but his sermons reach me in a way no other has been able to.

2nd Aug, 2004 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Monson S Thomas Elder

I have the hardest time with the way he uses his voice. Something about the way he speaks turns me away from the message. I am much better at reading what he has said rather than listening to it.

Post Date: 2nd Aug, 2004 - 7:13pm / Post ID: #

Elder Thomas S. Monson
A Friend

Elder Thomas S. Monson

QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 2-Aug 04, 11:32 AM)
I have the hardest time with the way he uses his voice. Something about the way he speaks turns me away from the message. I am much better at reading what he has said rather than listening to it.

I agree with you on that too Nighthawk. I tune him out when he speaks, and it wasn't until I was researching some information for a fellow member on the internet and *read* his talks that I discovered I had been missing so much. I still can not listen to him, so I read his talks.

I can't quite pin it down what it is that turns me off with his speaking ~ but I am very thankful that we can now *read* his conference talks, etc. on-line hours after the conference.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Elder Thomas S. Monson

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,