Alma 30

Alma 30 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Jul, 2004 - 3:38am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
We learn what to do about the Anti-Christ
25th Jul, 2004 - 7:58pm / Post ID: #

Alma 30

I thought about adding this here because of the recent users (who claim to be LDS) that have such a negative connotation in their message about the Gospel such as 'show me', 'give me a sign' and so on. In Alma 30 we see that Korihor began to preach against Christ and the people in Zarahemla 'took him on' or gave him a listen where as the people in Jershon were wiser...

Now this man went over to the land of Jershon also, to preach these things among the people of Ammon, who were once the people of the Lamanites.

But behold they were more wise than many of the Nephites; for they took him, and bound him, and carried him before Ammon, who was a high priest over that people.

Ref. Alma 30:19-20

it is interesting how some stand and listen to the rants of Anti-Mormons and see almost mesmerized by what they say... we see here that the wiser did not even entertain it. Personal thoughts: I think that most Antis seek after the week and those that are not sure of their testimony. I have came into contact with many Antis before and when they found me having a reply along with a verse for everything they asked they quickly became silent, or started to speak very ignorantly until they themselves had to rethink what they were Anti about in the first place. I personally do entertain debates about sacred things, especially with those who are not really interested. Again the Book of Mormon gives wise instruction in dealing with this.

Sponsored Links:
26th Jul, 2004 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

Alma

This was discussed in our Gospel Doctrine class today. I enjoy the visualization of a bunch of faithful church members tying up someone who is Anti-Christ to present him to the high priest!

I agree that the Antis prey on our weakest members in order to lead them astray (although they claim they are redeeming them!). I've not had any real contact with any (other than my own sister) lately, and I hope I don't have to. The spirit of contention they bring with them is upsetting.

Roz

26th Jul, 2004 - 1:44am / Post ID: #

Alma 30 Studies Doctrine Mormon

The spirit of contention they bring with them is upsetting.

Yes, and we know it is of the devil, but perhaps you can turn the tables around (since it is your sister) after all you still have to deal with her. Maybe you can discuss what is truth for her and where she can find that in the scriptures - I find most get flustered when you add... 'I don't see it saying that there'.

26th Jul, 2004 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

Alma

I find that Korihor's statement in Alma 30 describes perfectly the anti-mormons I have met through the years and those I have met online:

22. And it came to pass that the high priest said unto him: Why do ye go about perverting the ways of the Lord? Why do ye teach this people that there shall be no Christ, to interrupt their rejoicings? Why do ye speak against all the prophecies of the holy prophets?
23.  Now the high priest's name was Giddonah. And Korihor said unto him: Because I do not teach the foolish traditions of your fathers, and because I do not teach this people to bind themselves down under the foolish ordinances and performances which are laid down by ancient priests, to usurp power and authority over them, to keep them in ignorance, that they may not lift up their heads, but be brought down according to thy words.

Sounds familiar? I always hear the statement of "You think I'm an anti-mormon because I don't believe Joseph Smith was a prophet and because he was an adulterous and money digger and because I say the Church lies and hides things from the members and the Church do not want the members to think for themselves but to obey to whatever thing the leaders tells them to do?"

Ye say that this people is a free people. Behold, I say they are in bondage. Ye say that those ancient prophecies are true. Behold, I say that ye do not know that they are true.

"Aren't you all being brainwashed in that Church?. If you have to follow every word that your Prophet said, then you are a slave, you cannot think for yourself".

And now Korihor said unto Alma: If thou wilt show me a asign"ยข, that I may be convinced that there is a God, yea, show unto me that he hath power, and then will I be convinced of the truth of thy words.

"Show me a sign, show me that Joseph Smith was not a money digger. Show me in the Scriptures that to be able to be saved you have to have more than one wife...show me this...show me that"

And Korihor put forth his hand and wrote, saying: I know that I am dumb, for I cannot speak; and I know that nothing save it were the a power of God could bring this upon me; yea, and I always knew that there was a God.

If this anti-mormons that we usually find them here know for certain that the Church is not true, why the whole subject still so sentive and still bothering them? BECAUSE in the deepest of them they know the Church is true but Satan has deceived them to believe otherwise and that spirit fights inside of them to want to share what they 'believe in'...but really, they are looking for that peace that only God can give.

But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel

Not everything that shines is gold!

And it came to pass that the curse was not taken off of Korihor; but he was cast  out, and went about from house to house begging for his food.
And it came to pass that as he went forth among the people, yea, among a people who had separated themselves from the Nephites and called themselves Zoramites, being led by a man whose name was Zoram-and as he went forth amongst them, behold, he was run upon and trodden down, even until he was dead

Definetly the Lord knew Korihor's heart and he knew if he was truly repented or not and it seems like he was not because God did not made him whole again. I think that when you reach so low, to the point of denying the Son of God, the Christ, and teach it to other people, is not so easy to repent and go back to Heavenly Father....sometimes I wonder if the Korihors we have nowdays, realize that...

26th Jul, 2004 - 4:23pm / Post ID: #

Alma

Since this is taking off into a discussion about the reasons why, as well as how, people become antagonistic towards the Church and the Gospel, I thought I would give this little link:
https://mormanity.blogspot.com/2004/07/warn...irus-alert.html

This is Jeff Lindsey's blog. Jeff is a prominent apologist, and very interesting to read. This particular post is a spoof, treating ex-Mormonism as a computer virus. But it does have some serious overtones, and he goes on to explain himself a bit.

Now, back to the subject. I think that the quotation from Alma 30 is particularly powerful. One of the primary purposes of the Book of Mormon is to provide information that dispels false doctrine.

If I remember right, there are three specific antichrists within the Book of Mormon, along with some refutation of each of their doctrines. A close study of each of their debates can be very helpful.

26th Jul, 2004 - 9:37pm / Post ID: #

Alma 30

Just one point here, and it's something we can overlook - probably because it is avoided in Sunday School because of its controversial nature - but the Book of Mormon through such examples as Korihor, et. al. exposes not only the false arguments against the Church and general traditional Christian belief, but also the false teachings in many other things too such as politics and education.

I have found - as was expressed by Elder Holland and Elder Eyring in the last Gloabl training - that we get most out of the scriptures when it is studied topically. Read the Book of Mormon, for instance, keeping an eye out for prophecies concerning America, or upon the subject of legal issues. It is very eye opening. Seems we cannot see these things unless we do not read the scriptures with the topic in mind; could years of just "reading and studying" the Book of Mormon be less effective because we have not discovered the power of focusing on a topic? I would submit out learning and understanding excels massively with the topical approach - though I think we should read scriptures all the way through as well to get the big picture in chronological order (which may be important to do in our early days).

Dubhdara.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 27th Jul, 2004 - 3:36am / Post ID: #

Alma 30
A Friend

Alma 30

One question I've always had in regards to Alma 30 is in the following verses.

50 Now when Alma had said these words, Korihor was struck dumb, that he could not have utterance, according to the words of Alma.

51 And now when the chief judge saw this, he put forth his hand and wrote unto Korihor, saying: Art thou convinced of the power of God? In whom did ye desire that Alma should show forth his sign? Would ye that he should afflict others, to show unto thee a sign? Behold, he has showed unto you a sign; and now will ye dispute more?

52 And Korihor put forth his hand and wrote, saying: I know that I am dumb, for I cannot speak; and I know that nothing save it were the power of God could bring this upon me; yea, and I always knew that there was a God.

My question:

Korihor was struck dumb. From what i understand, to be dumb is to not be able to talk. Korihor confirms this in verse 52. Not being able to talk should have no effect whatsoever on your ability to hear. So, why in verse 51 does the chief judge submit a question to Korihor in writing? Why didn't he just ask him? He was right there beside him because it says the chief judge saw this. I'd be interested to see any theories on this. I'll need them in writing please.

27th Jul, 2004 - 3:38am / Post ID: #

Alma 30 Mormon Doctrine Studies

Everyone gave good points. I am especially touched by what seems to be 'real life' (which it is) situations being told (within the BOM) as though you were right there or if you were watching a big screen. This differs so much from other scriptures (Bible, D&C, etc) in which you would have to make an external study to understand what you are reading, but with the Book of Mormon you get background, foreground, middle ground - all the grounds necessary to show why that was being inserted into the abridged plates. Now, going back to the topic at hand, we can see by the number of instances where the Book of Mormon allows us to visualize in our mind's eye - men 'within' (or maybe near to) the society of the Church falling away or fighting against it to such a degree that we are automatically being 'in doctrined' and thus prepared for the Last days. What do I mean by that? Well, the Book of Mormon is written for our day, so we get a 'soap opera' if you will of possible events that are happening now, if even we cannot readily see it in front of us. The anti-Christ's words sound ever so familiar.

GAUCHO: Sorry I did not give my comments about your post, I think we were posting at the same time. Well, I actually have a note about this in my scriptures and here is my theory:
1. It is a natural thing that when people see someone dumb they start to behave as though they cannot hear either
2. The high priest probably assumed that he was deaf as well.
3. Maybe the curse of being dumb also involved him being deaf, but we are assured that he was not blind.

What I actually like is vs. 48, it is kind of comical really - where you can see he (Korihor) immediately starts to twist his story by saying that he does not deny there is a God after hearing that he will soon be turned dumb.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Alma 30

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,