Heavenly Father's Mortal Life

Heavenly Father' S Mortal Life - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Aug, 2012 - 3:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 9:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Considering what we know about the Plan of Salvation, we understand that our Heavenly Father once went through a mortal life just as we are going through now. He was faced with temptations, sinned, repented and overcame all. Eventually he reached perfection and became a God. Pres. Hinckley has said we don't know much about that process but we do know it happens, over and over again.

I have often wondered what kind of life HF lived during his mortal probation. Was he a common member of the true church, maybe holding leadership positions such as a Bishop, or did he live his entire life during a time of Apostacy and was not introduced to the Gospel until after death? Or maybe he was a scoundrel and drunk through most of his life before he was introduced to the Gospel, repented and progressed from there. Or maybe he was an honorable person who accepted the Gospel as a convert and progressed. Or maybe he even played a major role such as an Apostle or Prophet or even Savior of his world. Some have assumed he was the Savior of his world from a scripture in the New Testament.

Now we obviously don't know the answer to this question. But I for one have always assummed he lived his entire life in the church and was a leader and great example. But that is not neccessarily so. Because of the doctrine of repentance, we know people living a life of sin can change and gain Eternal life. So I assume that some who have achieved Godhood may have been big sinners before they repented. Think of Alma the younger and Paul for examples.

So the next time you see a drunk passed out in an alley, you can look at him and think, Someday, he could be a creator of worlds without number.

Sponsored Links:
19th Jan, 2005 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

Life Mortal Fathers Heavenly

Gaucho, interesting thoughs although anything you or me or anyone else could share about this issue is pure speculation. We have no sources to look at or any other material where we can learn more about it... even the Prophet said he does not know the process. undecided.gif

19th Jan, 2005 - 3:56am / Post ID: #

Heavenly Father's Mortal Life Studies Doctrine Mormon

Christ said: "The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." Therefore, I would not be surprised if Heavenly Father was the Christ of another system. I am not comfortable speculating beyond that, because there is just no pertinent, reliable information.

19th Jan, 2005 - 11:43am / Post ID: #

There is a fairly well developed "theoretical" doctrine called Multiple Mortal Probations. It is most definitely outside the mainstream of LDS doctrine. However, there is a lot of support for some of the concepts within it in various discourses and teachings of past Prophets and Apostles.

Keep in mind that I am only reporting that the doctrine exists. I happen to know quite a few people who believe it. I am agnostic about it.

Within this doctrine, the idea is that while this is the Second Estate for most of us, it is the Fourth Estate for some. They are ones who are Just Men Made Perfect. So, they have been reborn in another mortal probation, but not so much as a test, but rather to develop their spirituality more thoroughly. Thus you see such beings as Abraham, Moses, and Enoch. We know through Joseph Smith that Abraham and Moses are identified as archangels in the premortal existence.

This doctrine thus asserts that people who advance through various estates, eventually have to become Messiahs for worlds (universes?) that they are responsible for, in order to advance then to become as our Father is.

Update: I moved this topic into the Mature LDS board due to the sensitivity of the subject matter.

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 19th Jan, 2005 - 11:46am

19th Jan, 2005 - 12:02pm / Post ID: #

I agree with LDS about this topic being purely speculative, but I do find Nighthawk's reported theory interesting. If it is true then it would give rise to a sort of reincarnation of self which is a basic Eastern belief where one comes back here again and again until they are worthy to become 'enlightened'. My understanding is that learning takes place in the next world and that it continues throughout eternity until we are at last as He is, but there is not a 'time' given as to how long the process will be just as there is no time given for when all mankind will receive immortality. It is important to note that repentance is possible in the next life and thus a chance for perfection although not so easy as Joseph revealed. In the road to Godhood I always rest on the fact that Joseph said that if he had revealed more Truth to us then we would not believe so who knows... our understanding in the things we call deep might be just scratching the surface and we will be so surprised at just how much bigger is the universal picture.

19th Jan, 2005 - 1:21pm / Post ID: #

Multiple Mortal Probations (MMP) is NOT reincarnation. As I understand the doctrine, people do not go through their Second Estates over and over until they are worthy or enlightened enough to advance. There is only one chance at it.

From my point of view, as well as others here, this is entirely speculative. One of the corollaries to this doctrine is the Adam-God doctrine.

As I said, I am definitely agnostic concerning this doctrine. I don't believe it, yet I don't dismiss it at the same time.

Going back to the original post of this thread, this can explain how the Father experience the same things we do, yet also was the Messiah for someone, then became God the Father.

As far as I am concerned, this is simply something to consider. I do know people who claim to have received confirmation of the Spirit on this subject. I think if I did, I wouldn't be discussing it with anyone but individuals the Spirit instructed me to.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Jan, 2005 - 2:57pm / Post ID: #

In the grander scheme of things one has to reflect on just how big everything is (maybe just how small we are too) and just what part Heavenly Father plays in it. If this is to happen over and over again then where does Heavenly Father's Kingdom begin and where does it end? There must be another Heavenly Father, even Heavenly Grand Fathers... The thought seems incomprehensible. Is it that they all share the universe or do they have designated spaces and times? It is much too much for my minute mind to even begin to ponder. It would be nice to meet with Moses (Moses 1:10) and discuss exactly what he saw.

One thing that always stands out to me is this though... Who gave Heavenly Father the law of the Universe? (Some of this is discussed in the Skousen thread)

international QUOTE
Multiple Mortal Probations (MMP) is NOT reincarnation.

Of course, neither am I saying it is, I am merely pointing out the similarities in reliving a different level each time, I am not saying being born to earth again to face mortality. I live in a country where Hinduism is 25% of the population, so believe me, I know the difference.

international QUOTE
I think if I did, I wouldn't be discussing it with anyone but individuals the Spirit instructed me to.

Rather off topic, but...
Yes, hence forums like this one are considered not a good thing by the Leaders

8th Aug, 2012 - 3:29am / Post ID: #

Heavenly Father's Mortal Life Mormon Doctrine Studies

This is one of those topics that I never fully could digest because it seems to make Heavenly Father not a 'full' god and by that I mean there would be gods over him - so in that sense him being almighty may have limits.

> TOPIC: Heavenly Father's Mortal Life

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,