Surviving Hunger And Thirst - Page 2 of 3

KN, I can think of worse ways to lose weight - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 29th Mar, 2017 - 11:03pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 6th Aug, 2004 - 2:14pm / Post ID: #

Surviving Hunger And Thirst
A Friend

Surviving Hunger And Thirst - Page 2

The pilot had plucked lot's of grass at one time and just sucked the morning dew right from the grass. It might not seem like much , but that's what kept him alive. He also loss a lot of weight.

Sponsored Links:
6th Aug, 2004 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

Thirst Hunger Surviving

The dew would collect naturally on the surface of the raft. Obviously, if you have nothing but yourself you are in a bigger dilemma than if you have a tarp or something with which you could cover yourself to sheild from the sun and also to collect and trap the dew.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 1st Mar, 2017 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Surviving Hunger And Thirst History & Civil Business Politics

I think I can survive by finding food or drinkable water in most everything. I know one of the hardest things would be floating upon the ocean. Getting food at times could be a challenge but there should be opportunities in the sea. The major problem is drinkable water. Making a crude filter you may be able to get a little water but collecting dew or other means would be a lot safer.

2nd Mar, 2017 - 1:16pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Thirst Hunger Surviving

If you are on a raft in the ocean by yourself, most rafts have a 'survival' kit as part of the raft. It usually has a flare gun, some kind of water filter, and a tarp to stay warm.

As stated by others, drinking the water is one of the worst things you can do. You will thirst to death in about 3-5 days, and it will be hard to focus on not drinking the water, but you will only kill yourself faster. There are many ways to make drinkable water. The 'easiest' is to evaporate the water and collect the condensation. Usually you take a tarp and cut it into a cone, then place it over the water with a collection apparatus at the bottom of the cone. Look up solar stills to see what I am talking about. Some kits come with manual pump reverse osmosis desalinators, which are also great at producing water.

Finally the kit usually includes some kind of hook and line so you can fish for food. Fish has many nutrients, and you can generally drink the blood, eat the eyes/livers/etc, and use all the parts like fish bones to help you survive. For instance, in your solar still, you generally need some kind of support to create the cone shape, fish bones can be excellent for this, though make sure not to puncture your tarp, or you'll lose water.

If you are not on the ocean it becomes a whole lot easier to survive because there is so much water when you are on land (In the soil and any plants around you), but now your worry is about getting enough to eat. Don't eat berries you find unless you know what is safe and what is not (I think this advice holds for most any plant parts). If you want to know what is good, watch other animals and see what they eat, then you should know a little more of what is safe.

I forgot to address the sun issue. Getting in the ocean is another terrible idea. The ocean is much more salty than the human body, this means that you will lose water through your skin through osmosis (This is why you get some pruny in a bath, except in the ocean it is reverse). You will also lose water through sweat, but you will lose much more water submerging yourself in the ocean. Taking off your shirt and dipping it in the ocean periodically so it can evaporate to cool you down is a good method. Also covering ~1/2 of your raft with the tarp to create a shaded place is good. It will get hot under there, but just keep spraying water on the top and it'll help cool it down some.

In response to some of the other suggestions. You can drink your urine, it is sterile when it first comes out, though it will get contaminated if you leave it exposed to air for long as it is nutrient rich. However never try to eat your feces, as that is all the undigestable bits of food and will only waste your energy as you try to digest it again. It is also unsanitary as there are many bacteria in your guts that don't belong elsewhere in your body.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

Post Date: 2nd Mar, 2017 - 3:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thirst Hunger Surviving

That is very helpful for people stuck out on the water. I know I need to learn more about ocean survival just in case I find myself stranded at sea. I know it is something I do not dwell on and something I would avoid but learning to collect water through a solar still is always a good thing to learn so you can find drinkable water anywhere.

Post Date: 28th Mar, 2017 - 10:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

There are ways to gather food, you just have to know them. There are usually plenty of things to eat. Remember to eat at least some fat. During survival training in the Army I actually made a pretty filling stew using grubs, wild carrots, and wild onions. There are also a myriad of ways to build traps with nothing but sticks and some twine. I actually have a standard kit I take with me when I go places off the beaten path, my survival kit. It's mostly the same things in it but I may add this or that depending on the environment I'm headed into.

In areas where water is scarce learn how to get it. Many plants store water. If that doesn't work yo can build a solar still. That entails using something like cellophane wrap or something similar, a canteen cup, and a few rocks. You dig a fairly large hole, put your canteen cup at the bottom of it, put the cellophane over the top and hold that cellophane in place with rocks or something. Then, put one rock in the middle. Water will collect in the canteen cup over time as condensation. If it is just too dry for condensation, pee in the bottom of the hole. Sure, that doesn't sound appetizing but it'll keep you alive. Also, a poncho can serve as a replacement for cellophane.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 1:36am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Surviving Hunger Thirst - Page 2

I would just go hungry for a while as I need to lose weight anyways. Maybe I should go out and try to get lost for a few days. Practice some of my skills.

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2017 - 11:03pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Surviving Hunger Thirst Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

KN,

I can think of worse ways to lose weight than getting "Make believe" lost in the woods and losing a few lbs. I say make believe because I've read of yours regarding this subject makes me think you'd really have to work at it to get lost and even then can probably figure out how to located your position PDQ.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Surviving Hunger And Thirst

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,