Gays In The Military

Gays Military - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 6th Aug, 2004 - 2:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 6th Aug, 2004 - 4:43am / Post ID: #

Gays In The Military
A Friend

Gays In The Military

I've been in the Army for 12 years now. The regulations are always changing. There was a time gays were allowed in the military. But now they have a rule called " Don't ask , don't tell policy." If someone has knowledge of you being gay and can prove it. You can be put out the military. What are your thoughts on gays in the military.

Sponsored Links:
6th Aug, 2004 - 6:31am / Post ID: #

Military The Gays

Aside from my personal feelings of the practise of being gay, I really do not think it has anything to do with their career as a soldier so long as their sexual life does not interfere with their professionalism.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

6th Aug, 2004 - 10:41am / Post ID: #

Gays In The Military History & Civil Business Politics

My understanding of the don't ask don't tell is that is actually a step up from what was allowed in the past. I was in the military in the late 70's. There was no policy called don't ask, don't tell. Homosexuals simply were not allowed in the military. Period. Being homosexual was enough of a reason all on its own to have you discharged. Now, the policy is supposed to be as long as you don't do anything to call attention to the fact that you are homosexual, you can remain in. So, to me that would mean just because someone knew you were homosexual wouldn't be enough of a reason to put you out. It would depend upon how they found out you were. So, if your actions were making it obvious, you could be put out. However, in my day all someone had to do was accuse you of being homosexual and you could find yourself in serious trouble.

I, personally, see no reason why a homosexual can't be in the military. Frankly, I think the don't ask, don't tell policy is wrong. I think being homosexual, even openly so, doesn't do anything to make you less of a good soldier. I don't think it does anything to harm unit cohesion either. People in the military tend to be more homophobic in my opinion, because the culture allows, even encourages such behavior. Young people enlisting in the military today certain didn't grow up in a society where such behavior is the norm.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 6th Aug, 2004 - 10:43am

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

6th Aug, 2004 - 1:37pm / Post ID: #

Military The Gays

I am curious, why does the military frown on gays anyway? Is it because of those that may act the 'wife' role and try to add a 'feminie' role to what should be a 'mannish' way of thinking? What about women who are gay? I am sure they are not frowned upon as much as men who are gay. Am I wrong?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

6th Aug, 2004 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

Military The Gays

Women who are homosexual are just as frowned upon as the men. I have read that initially the thought was if you were homosexual you were a security risk. You couldn't get a security clearance. This comes from the days when no one wanted anyone to know they were gay. The reasoning was, if you are homosexual and the enemy finds this out, they can use it to blackmail you. Another argument is that it will harm unit cohesion. That homosexuals and heterosexuals can't possible be expected to work together and respect each other. If you are homosexual and I am not, maybe I will be always looking over my shoulder worried that you might be making a move on me. Also, the stereotype that homosexual men are less capable of enduring the rigors of battle and military life in general. While I believe all of this has been proven to be false, changing the policies is a much slower process.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 6th Aug, 2004 - 2:06pm / Post ID: #

Gays In The Military
A Friend

Gays In The Military

Actually Lesbian's are not frowned on in the military. I know this to be true. I see lot's of Lesbian's in the military. I know this might sound sick. But I've met guys who find it sexually arousing to find out a female is a Lesbian. The other reason guys like Lesbian's is because they have lot's of female friend's that they could hook up with. I know it sounds sick but it exists. I see it all the time. I even had to write up a few soldier's for blurting out crazy remarks. Sexual Harrasment is a big problem in the military.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Aug, 2004 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

Gays The Military

Thanks for that explanation, but I don not understand this part...

if you are homosexual and the enemy finds this out, they can use it to blackmail you.

You mean tell others or make it public? How would they use that as a means of blackmail in a world where homosexuality is common place?

Are there other countries that openly accept gays within its' military?

6th Aug, 2004 - 2:15pm / Post ID: #

Gays The Military Politics Business Civil & History

Actually Lesbian's are not frowned on in the military.

As a women, my experience is and was different from yours. Men tend to see homosexual women as a challenge even a turn on. Other women do not. In addition, I am speaking from a enforcement of policy stand. I believe, if you study the statistics you will likely find a higher percentage of women put out involuntarily than you will men. I say percentage not actual number because there have been historically far more men than women in the military. I know, and have read cases, where a man feels like he has been rejected or embarrassed by a women who may or may not be homosexual. They then make the accusation public. When the rejection was from a women who IS homosexual, she ends up out of the military. I don't believe women in general find homosexual men as an insult to their own sexuality. Men often do.

You mean tell others or make it public? How would they use that as a means of blackmail in a world where homosexuality is common place?

As I tried to say in my post at the time, this is left over from the days when it wasn't common place for a homosexual to be open about it. Just because it is now common place doesn't mean the military and or the government has changed their policies to reflect the change in society. Also, the argument can be made that not all homosexuals are out of the closet.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 6th Aug, 2004 - 2:17pm

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Gays In The Military

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,