Starting With A Conjunction - Page 2 of 3

Even though we probably shouldn't - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 28th Feb, 2015 - 9:02pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
The belief that 'And' and 'But' do not belong at the start...
7th Nov, 2004 - 3:47pm / Post ID: #

Starting With A Conjunction - Page 2

I would definitely say the rules of writing apply to the situation. In formal writing one may want to stick to rules more strictly to avoid judgement, while in emails or even forums the writer should not feel required to constantly check their quick words.

My opinion.

Sponsored Links:
7th Nov, 2004 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

Conjunction With Starting

international QUOTE (FarSeer @ 14-Aug 04, 1:59 AM)
(Whoops! did it again...)

(laugh)! we've got a Britney Spears here laugh.gif

Yeah, I often write a but or and at the beginning of a sentence. I find it more effective than a semicolon. But, I try not to use it in formal essays in school because it makes the teacher's angry. When I write here, for example, I don't really care.

It's funny that if I write a but at the begining of a sentence I would get points off, but if I write an 'also' or 'however', I don't

Post Date: 21st Nov, 2004 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Starting With A Conjunction
A Friend

Starting With A Conjunction UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I will start the sentence with 'and' or 'but' if I'm trying to make the statement stand out. When I did this, I have a tendancy to use 'but' more than 'and.'

**blushes** I use the word 'whom,' and quite often.

Post Date: 22nd Nov, 2004 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Conjunction With Starting

Writing english has a more artistic touch to it than math. I think using "and", or "but" at the beginning of a sentence works all the time with conversation in a written story or essay. However using those in regular writing makes the written piece sound sloppy and disorganized.

3rd Feb, 2005 - 3:55am / Post ID: #

Conjunction With Starting

I have always believed that "and" and "but" could not be used to start a sentence becuase doing so would be writing an incomplete thought.

24th Feb, 2005 - 1:45am / Post ID: #

I think conjunctions at the beginning of sentences are absolutely hideous. I believe they call them conjunctions for a reason, no? As for spelling and pronunciation of words..the american way annoys me. I prefer to stick to the origins of the language and therefore try my best to adhere to the British version however, those pesky Americanised words snake their way into my vocabulary and I always have to make a mental note to hate myself later. cry.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th May, 2005 - 8:51pm / Post ID: #

Starting With Conjunction - Page 2

There is not a hard and fast rule, other than convention, that says we shouldn't begin sentences with conjunctions. Younger students and less advanced older ones are warned against it so often because it makes for poor reading and choppy style if used improperly or too often. I tell my more advanced students that using the conjunction is fine, provided there aren't better ways to construct the sentence. Usually, there are. We work with semi-colons, colons, dashes, and the old fashioned period/comma and conjunction. On occasion, using one of these makes the sentence too clunky, so a conjunction begins the next sentence. Most of the time, I try to help them work through the sentence to avoid such a construction. But there is no harm in it, if it is a matter of style or necessity.

As to spoken grammar, I agree that our spoken tongue has gotten less formal. So long as people make agreement, I can live with that. Writing, however, is my art, and I will not have it butchered. It's one thing to understand that English is a living language, and as such, it changes as society does; but it's entirely something else to allow such abominations as b/c, L8R, and other slang into formal writing without a fight.

28th Feb, 2015 - 9:02pm / Post ID: #

Starting With Conjunction Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 2

Even though we probably shouldn't do it I like to use it sometimes because it kind of flows with what I have to type as a response.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Starting With A Conjunction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,