Future Changes In Church Doctrine

Future Church Doctrine - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Aug, 2004 - 4:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 19th Aug, 2004 - 4:37am / Post ID: #

A Friend

The church today is much different than it was 150 years ago. The most common feature known about our church back then was the practice of Plural marriage. That was later done away with. More recently, in 1978 a change in policy allowed all worth male members of the church to hold the priesthood. I remember growing up in the church, I never would have thought that policy to change in my lifetime. I'm sure saints living in 1875 would never have thought Polygamy would be outlawed.

A question to ponder....Looking forward 50 years or so, what changes do you see coming? Something we consider as church doctrine today, part of what we teach that may be done away with. is it possible? It must be if it has happened in the past. Or have we now reached a point where we finally have everything right?

Could we maybe someday accept gay people in full church fellowship? Maybe the Prophet will someday get a revelation that some people are born gay, it was part of God's plan...a test to see if we would learn to be accepting and tolerant of someone different than us.

Maybe some day a policy change could allow non members to enter the temple to witness a wedding in the family.

maybe church meetings will be reduced to an hour or two each Sunday, or maybe we will meet only occasionaly and each family will be responsible on Sunday to hold their own meetings.

Possibly new doctrine will be revealed that overrides old doctrine or policies. Any other ideas out there?

Sponsored Links:
19th Aug, 2004 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

Doctrine Church In Future

There are policy changes all the time. I remember when we were told to pass the sacrament only with the right hand, now you can use any hand.

Could we maybe someday accept gay people in full church fellowship?

Actually they are already accepted in full fellowship so long as they do not act it out sexually. No one can really stop someone from feeling attracted to the same sex, the same way no one can tell a man to think only virtuous thoughts about a woman. It is only when you 'act' on it does the Church come in and start disciplinary action.

19th Aug, 2004 - 1:26pm / Post ID: #

Future Changes In Church Doctrine Studies Doctrine Mormon

Maybe some day a policy change could allow non members to enter the temple to witness a wedding in the family.

The last time I visited the San Diego temple about a month ago, I saw workers showing a line of people in street clothes into an elevator which went up near one of the sealing rooms. I was really surprised and asked about it. I was told that this is allowed now, people with no recommends, family only, can attend the sealing of their loved ones. I didn't ask if all of them were members of the church. Interesting, no?

Roz

19th Aug, 2004 - 1:37pm / Post ID: #

I was told that this is allowed now, people with no recommends, family only, can attend the sealing of their loved ones.

What? Are you sure about that? I do know that members can attend a sealing in normal clothes (hopefully Sunday Best), but non-members?

19th Aug, 2004 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

I didn't ask if all of them were members of the church

I didn't think to ask about that. But certainly a lot of folks in the party, must have been at least 20 and more like 30 (I think). I was just so surprised to see people in street clothes in the temple! My mother stood outside the temple and cried when I was sealed in 1980.

Roz

19th Aug, 2004 - 1:55pm / Post ID: #

Yes, I am sure they were members and with recommends, this has been actually around for as long as I can remember, but you do not see it unless you are invited to the sealing where it is happening. If however you are right and those people were nonmembers I will definitely call the mission president right now to verify and ask 'What the heck is going on?'.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Aug, 2004 - 3:50pm / Post ID: #

Future In Church Doctrine

To the original question, I have to say that I sincerely hope, and pray, that the trend will be more to the opposite direction - that we will regain the important, even vital, doctrines and practices.

Since Joseph Smith's death, we have given up many incredible, vital doctrines, practices, even offices within the priesthood.

I took the time to list quite a few of these, but then deleted them, partly because this is not in the mature LDS section, also because I am not sure that anyone even wants to consider how many things have changed.

19th Aug, 2004 - 4:00pm / Post ID: #

Future In Church Doctrine Mormon Doctrine Studies

I took the time to list quite a few of these, but then deleted them, partly because this is not in the mature LDS section

Then proceed to the Mature section I am interested in seeing the list of changes.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Future Changes In Church Doctrine

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,