Changes In Mormon Doctrine And Practice

Changes Mormon Doctrine Practice - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 11th Oct, 2004 - 11:26am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
19th Aug, 2004 - 7:30pm / Post ID: #

This is just a quick list of items that I can think of, right now, that have either been changed or removed from official doctrine. I am not making any sort of judgements in this, only reporting some of the things that have changed.

The big three

1. Stopped Celestial Marriage (plural marriage)
  2. Stopped United Order (consecration)
  3. Reversed teachings on the Priesthood to some races
Others
  1. Major redesign of garment patterns
  2. Major changes to the endowment ordinance
  3. Inconsistencies in how priesthood ordinations were performed
  4. Stopped individuals from using some specific tools (True Order of Prayer)
  5. Elimination of the office of Church Patriarch
  6. Elimination of office of the Seventies at the Stake level.
  7. Elimination of the concept of a political Kingdom of God, separate from the Church
There are a few other things that aren't quite so clearly defined. For example, there is strong indication that Joseph Smith was moving the spiritual guidance of the Church towards the Patriarch, who would act as co-President, while the President would be more involved in the administrative management of the Church. As a corollary to this, there have been indications (I don't have details) that this type of dual leadership was to be the norm at all levels (I.e., Stake Patriarch and Stake President, EQ President and Bishop). Obviously, this one is a very controversial issue, as it is NOT clearly defined.

I know that I am missing some items, just can't think of them at the moment.

Sponsored Links:
19th Aug, 2004 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

Practice Doctrine Mormon Changes

Thanks for posting this. As for the big three I understand the purposes of #1 and #2, but like I said about #3 I cannot find a qualifying position about it. In fact there is no reason given.

For the others - yes, we can speculate on those forever. I have never heard of the idea having having a 'joint' leadership, where did you get that from?

19th Aug, 2004 - 11:31pm / Post ID: #

Changes In Mormon Doctrine And Practice Studies Doctrine Mormon

As I said, I don't have any reference for that one. However, I have read that just before the martyrdom, Joseph had announced that Hyrum, as Patriarch, was to be co-President of the Church, thus allowing Joseph to take more of an administrative role in the Church, and focus on his duties regarding the Kingdom of God.

20th Aug, 2004 - 2:50am / Post ID: #

Some of the changes I can mention:

*Sealings (concerning who to who).

*Changes to LDS scriptures that could lead to a totally different interpretation.

* Washing of feet

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2004 - 1:39am / Post ID: #

A Friend

If you read Doctrine and Covenants Section 107, the Seventies Quorum organization follows the revealed pattern as it originally started in the Church. Please note the following:

1. Seventies Quorums are to be traveling ministers under the direction of the Quorum of the 12.
2. Seven Presidents of the Seventies are to be called.
3. Up to 490 Quorums of Seventy can be called if the growth of the Church warrants it.

This was cited in conference talks when the Quorums were first organized and again when the Area Authority Quorums (3 through 5) where called. Area Authorities are more limited in geographic scope than the First Quorums, but they can serve in Area Presidencies, organize stakes, and travel as witnesses within the Area to which they are assigned.

Reconcile Edited: rbogart on 30th Sep, 2004 - 1:42am

11th Oct, 2004 - 12:31am / Post ID: #

I was searching this site called theologyweb.com and I found this:

Feb 15,1927 - Apostle George F. Richards notifies temples that it is decision of First Presidency and Quorum of Twelve to immediately omit from prayer circles "all references to avenging the blood of the Prophets. Omit from the ordinance and lecture all reference to retribution." Letter also instructs to "omit the kissing" at the end of the proxy sealings.

I thought it was very interesting. I did not know they used to kiss at the end of proxy sealings in the past.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Oct, 2004 - 11:16am / Post ID: #

Changes Mormon Doctrine Practice

I didn't know about any form of kissing in a proxy ceremony.

I did know about the "blood oath" concerning the Prophet and the Patriarch. It apparently came up in the Reed Smoot Senate hearings.

Did you realize that almost all Seventies are now called from the High Priests quorums? Yet the D&C specifically states that Seventies are to be called from among the Elders. A few months ago, I read a very interesting talk by one of the Seventy, who told the story of how a GA had told him to not accept any call to become a High Priest. He didn't know why that was necessary, until he received his call to the Seventy. However, it seems that this was a very rare situation, as most have served as bishops, stake presidents, etc, all of which require a High Priest.

11th Oct, 2004 - 11:26am / Post ID: #

Changes Mormon Doctrine Practice Mormon Doctrine Studies

Did you realize that almost all Seventies are now called from the High Priests quorums? Yet the D&C specifically states that Seventies are to be called from among the Elders.

Now, I may show my ignorance here and I am sure someone will correct me, but I am willing to bet that most of the general authorities at one time or another were high priests and are now again referred to as elders. So perhaps, once an elder always an elder even if you attain a higher priesthood office as well. So, perhaps the instruction that they were to be called from the elders simply means they must have attained the melchizedek priesthood? In the early days of the Church it was very common for adult men to not be melchizedek priesthood holders.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Changes In Mormon Doctrine And Practice

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,