Changes In Mormon Doctrine And Practice - Page 4 of 6

QUOTE (dbackers @ 7-Aug 09, 8:59 PM) But are - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Aug, 2009 - 1:27am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
9th Feb, 2005 - 12:17am / Post ID: #

Changes In Mormon Doctrine And Practice - Page 4

every thing we do in the Temple regards to the ordinances is SACRED and when there is a change for whatever reason must be FULLY explained to the members, but when Temple workers are not allowed to give such explanations about these changes, do we expect the members who go to the Temple just follow and obey?. I do not think so.

I am a firm believe that everything is for a reason, and after you know the reason then you can as you put it, discern and follow but when you do not have the information because is being kept from you, then there is no room for such thing.

I agree that every aspect of temple worship is sacred, and therefore any changes must be according to direct revelation to be valid. However, allow me to respectfully disagree on the point that reasons must be fully explained for us to have active, faithful confidence in them.

I believe from my studies that God has not established a pattern of immediate full disclosure. In fact, the Lord often works by commanding and waiting to be obeyed before any reason is given. The reason we worship in any way is that we believe we are doing the will of God. From Adam offering sacrifices after he was cast out of the garden, to Abraham deciding to sacrifice Isaac, to Mormon redundantly including Nephi's record as well as the book of Lehi, to Brigham Young and those with him settling in a wild, desolate valley, the real reasons have never been readily apparent to those who obey. Their only motivation for doing these things was obedience to God - not logic, not peer pressure, not speculation. They loved him, so they did what did not seem reasonable nor sensible at the time, but what they knew to be revelation.

In this dispensation of the restoration, we have become spoiled in a way, because we have so many answers now that previous generations had to take on faith. However, we are not entitled to knowledge that God would not have us receive, and it is not our privilege to speculate where he chooses to remain silent. We are invited to experiment upon his word, and to test the fruits of it, even if it does not make sense in the beginning.

When it comes to the duties of the prophet and his associates, they are responsible to make the will of the Lord known to us in matters of Churchwide significance. Since this particular issue relates specifically to the temple and the way things are done there, it is appropriate that they have given instruction to the temple presidencies for implementation in the realm of their stewardship. However, the prophet is only obligated to say that which the Lord commands him, and he may be constrained by the Spirit not to reveal any more explanation than the commandment itself.

Additionally, if we can trust the teachings of Wilford Woodruff in the Doctrine and Covenants, we can trust that the head of the Church today is bound by the Lord to teach and administer the truth to us.
The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place, and so He will any other man who attempts to lead the children of men astray from the oracles of God and from their duty. (Sixty-first Semiannual General Conference of the Church, Monday, October 6, 1890, Salt Lake City, Utah. Reported in Deseret Evening News, October 11, 1890, p. 2.)

It matters not who lives or who dies, or who is called to lead this Church, they have got to lead it by the inspiration of Almighty God. If they do not do it that way, they cannot do it at all. . . .

These are not attacks on those who do not share my views, but I believe them to be solid reasons for my sustaining the prophet and defending the doctrines the Lord has given him. However, the ultimate reason, even the rock of revelation upon which this work is founded, is the confirmation of the Holy Ghost.

Sponsored Links:
23rd Nov, 2006 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

Practice Doctrine Mormon Changes

There have been several times in our discussions where people have commented that the Lord will not take the Church from the Earth again. Actually, the scriptures say that the Priesthood will not be taken from the Earth again.

Does this mean the same thing?

Here is one quote that applies directly to this.

QUOTE (President J. Reuben Clark Jr.)
"The priesthood is essential to the Church, but the Church is not essential to the Priesthood." (J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Improvement Era, 39:134, March, 1936)

Also, Brigham Young said the following, regarding the early Christian Church, up through present day Christianity.
QUOTE (Brigham Young)
Why have they wandered so far from the path of truth and rectitude? Because they left the Priesthood and have had no guide, no leader, no means of finding out what is true and what is not true. It is said the Priesthood was taken from the Church, but it is not so, the Church went from the Priesthood, and continued to travel in the wilderness, turned from the commandments of the Lord, and instituted other ordinances. (Brigham Young, JD 12:69)

(Read the whole talk at: https://journalofdiscourses.org/Vol_12/refJDvol12-16.html )

Where do we get the idea that we will actually do better than anyone ever before us? The only time in all of history where we know that the "Church" avoided apostasy for more than about 20 or 30 years is in the Book of Mormon, with the Nephites after Jesus' Resurrection. In that case, the people, as a whole, became Terrestrial in nature (at least spiritual nature). In all other cases, after the Dispensation Head died, the "Church" went into apostasy in very short order.

What assurance do we have that we, the Church in the Fullness of Times, haven't strayed into Apostasy? We have strong evidence that we have left many doctrines, and changed many ordinances over the years. The Saints have rejected doctrines, and proudly state that we no longer believe in, or practice, certain things because we are not worthy of them.

This is the Restoration! It is meant to be the time when things are restored for the last time! Yet we are happy to say that we no longer have to perform some "distasteful" portions of certain ordinances, nor do we have to live Plural Marriage or the United Order, because these things don't apply to us in the modern world.

I hold that we have left the path to the Kingdom of God, and that we, as a Church and a people, face a horrific tribulation to bring us back to the proper path. Not very many of us will be able to return to that path, either, since we have wholeheartedly embraced the move to appease the World (Babylon).

Just my thoughts on this matter.

7th Aug, 2009 - 6:31pm / Post ID: #

Changes In Mormon Doctrine And Practice Studies Doctrine Mormon

I found an interesting article in lds.org about changes in doctrine and practice through Church history. Some quotes are quite controversial, please feel free to share your thoughts:

In 1962, Elder Harold B. Lee, then a member of the Council of the Twelve, used a very practical modern example of that principle. "It is sometimes very interesting to get the reaction of people," he observed. "I recall when President McKay announced to the Church that the First Council of Seventy were being ordained high priests in order to extend their usefulness and to give them authority to act when no other General Authority could be present. I went down to Phoenix, Arizona, and I found a Seventy who was very much disturbed. He said to me, "Didn't the Prophet Joseph Smith say that this was contrary to the order of heaven to name high priests as presidents of the First Council of Seventy when they were named in the beginning?"

"And I said, "Well, I had understood that he did, but had you ever thought that what was contrary to the order of heaven in 1840 might not be contrary to the order of heaven in 1960?" You see, he had not thought of that. He "¦ was following a dead prophet, and he was forgetting that there is a living prophet today. Hence the importance of our stressing the word "living."

Elder Orson Pratt of the Council of the Twelve put it well in 1877, as the Church was perfecting some aspects of its organization: "To say that there will be a stated time, in the history of this Church, during its imperfections and weakness, when the organization will be perfect, and that there will be no further extension or addition to the organization would be a mistake. Organization is to go on, step after step from one degree to another, just as the people increase and grow in knowledge of the principles and laws of the kingdom of God." (Journal of Discourses, 19:12.)

Whenever new ideas or information have been presented to the Church, some members have expressed alarm and dissatisfaction. David Whitmer, one of the Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon, became disgruntled when Joseph Smith introduced the office of high priest. Little wonder that the Prophet went slowly in teaching new ideas.

"There has been great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation," he remarked one day, after giving a sermon on salvation for the dead. "Even the Saints are slow to understand. I have tried for a number of years to get the minds of the Saints prepared to receive the things of God; but we frequently see some of them, after suffering all they have for the word of God, will fly to pieces like glass as soon as anything comes that is contrary to their traditions." (History of the Church, 6:184-85.)

President Brigham Young, expressed the same lament in 1870. "How true it is that, when any new principle, or any new idea concerning an old principle is promulgated, the human heart seems to rise up in rebellion against it, and the Saints are no exception in this respect, for when the Lord condescends to reveal any new principle pertaining to their welfare and the building up of His kingdom on earth, many are ready, both in feelings and practices, to rise up and rebel against it." (Journal of Discourses, 13:351.)

With regard to new doctrine, President Joseph F. Smith expressed the following concern in 1918:

"It is a good thing for us not to attempt to advance new doctrine, or new and advanced thought in relation to principles and doctrines pertaining to, or presumed to pertain to the gospel of Jesus Christ, without weighing it carefully, with the experience of years, before you attempt to make a doctrinal test and to advance it to the people of the Lord. There is so much simple truth, necessary to be understood, that has been revealed to us in the gospel that it is extreme folly in us to attempt to go beyond the truth that has been revealed, until we have mastered and can comprehend the truth that we have. There is a great deal within our reach that we have not yet mastered."

President J. Reuben Clark, Jr., reminded the Seminary and Institute of Religion teachers of the Church in 1954, the prophet "alone has the right to receive revelations for the Church, either new or amendatory, or to give authoritative interpretations of scriptures that shall be binding on the Church, or change in any way the existing doctrines of the Church.

7th Aug, 2009 - 7:16pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Practice Doctrine Mormon Changes

I don't think I have a problem with "new" doctrine. I have a problem with all the "old" doctrine that has been abandoned. And I really didn't like Elder Lee's statement, indicating that the "order of Heaven" would change with the circumstances in the world.

All that I know that has been given as "new" doctrine has been things like removing important parts of the endowment, changing the initiatory ordinances to make them more politically correct, etc.

And, yes, I love the way we are told to disregard the teachings of "dead" prophets like Joseph Smith in favor of "living" prophets. I have a huge problem with disregarding ANYTHING that Joseph Smith said, as he is the Head of this dispensation.

But, hey, I may be wrong. I may miss out on all the blessings. I will have to take that chance.

7th Aug, 2009 - 11:06pm / Post ID: #

Practice Doctrine Mormon Changes

Let me add some other changes to the doctrine and ordinances of the Church.

1. Christ during his ministry limited his teachings primarily to the Jews, even commenting that the Gentiles were dogs, Peter later taught the Gentiles.
2. Book of Mormon Prohibition of Polygamy, while it was practiced in the Old Testament and in the Early Church.
3 The name of the Church Changed three times all within Joseph Smith Life. It was first called the Church of Christ, Then The Church of Jesus Christ, and finally THe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
4. Garments at one time went to the wrist and to the ankles.
5. Wine was the official liquid of the Sacrament, then it was changed to water.
6. The Sabbath was at one time on Saturday.
7. Joseph Smith asked Brigham Young to help begin perfecting the Temple Endowment during his tenure.

Brigham Young said

"I do not even believe that there is a single revelation, among the many God has given to the Church, that is perfect in its fulness. The revelations of God contain correct doctrine and principle, so far as they go; but it is impossible for the poor, weak, low, groveling, sinful inhabitants of the earth to receive a revelation from the Almighty in all its perfections. He has to speak to us in a manner to meet the extent of our capacities."

Is it not a stretch to believe that God will give us his truth only up to the capacity for us to understand it? If God has to simplify the endowment ceremony for us to understand the important concepts behind it, he will (the original endowment was eight hours). If he must add complexity, because we are progressing in knowledge, then we are blessed because of it. Does this change the meaning behind the words? I do not believe so. If he changes how the message is given, due to our inability to understand it, it is his right.

We have to ask, are the hand movements, words, clothing etc. More important then the meaning behind these movements, words, clothing etc. Have we lost sight of the covenants that we are making because God chooses to make them more accessible to us and to our limited capacities?

And when we complain that the Church has changed from Joseph Smith to the Current Prophet, we must acknowledge that the Church Changed (based on revelation) even during the Prophet Joseph Smith's fourteen years as Prophet.

Rather off topic, but...

Joseph Smith said to Brigham Young when he (Joseph Smith) gave the endowment to him;

Brother Brigham, this is not arranged perfectly; however we have done the best we could under the circumstances in which we are placed. I wish you to take this matter in hand: organize and systematize all these ceremonies".

Therefore Joseph Smith acknowledged that the endowment needed to perfected and that it was Brigham Young who would be responsible in trying to perfect it.

8th Aug, 2009 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

Changes In Mormon Doctrine And Practice

QUOTE (dbackers @ 7-Aug 09, 7:06 PM)
Is it not a stretch to believe that God will give us his truth only up to the capacity for us to understand it? If God has to simplify the endowment ceremony for us to understand the important concepts behind it, he will (the original endowment was eight hours). If he must add complexity, because we are progressing in knowledge, then we are blessed because of it. Does this change the meaning behind the words? I do not believe so. If he changes how the message is given, due to our inability to understand it, it is his right.

One can argue that maybe we are not talking about simplifying but changing parts of the Temple ceremony and ordinances. We also could argue whether these changes come from divine revelation or simple social pressure/convenience:

a. Shortening the length of temple ceremonies (too long? too boring for some?)

b. Eliminating some very significant and important "oaths" (members getting scared of the consequences of breaking covenants?)

c. Initiatories (Church being sued for improper touching?)

d. Garments (too hot? too long?)

e. Protestant Minister gone (newer members offended?)

Many, many, many more changes....

It is also interesting that quote of Brigham Young (who claimed Joseph Smith told him to do the necessary changes) because Joseph Smith said:

'Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed.'"

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Aug, 2009 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Changes Mormon Doctrine Practice - Page 4

I think that you are correct LDS.
We all acknowledge that there were changes made, but determining if they were divinely inspired changes, or results of societal pressures seem difficult to determine. That question, probably is one that must be answered on a personal level for each individual.

But I do ask myself: Can the Church change or must it remain static? What is the purpose of a Living Prophet, if there is to be no changes in how the Church fulfills its calling of bringing people to Christ?

I find no issues with the changes that have come, as we have evidence, that Joseph Smith himself was changing the Temple endowment from the time it was institute until his death.

The ordinance of the Sacrament was changed fundamentally by Joseph Smith with the use of water instead of wine. In the statement that you have quoted, it would indicate that Joseph Smith did in fact change an ordinance. Are we to fault him for this change because it was different then he originally instituted it?

But are these changes a change in doctrine, or are they a change in how the doctrine is presented. I would purpose that the changes in the Temple ceremony are a change in how the message is presented, and not necessarily as change in the message itself. But I believe this is a point that we will disagree on.

Joseph Smith said that the endowment gave:

a comprehensive view of our condition and true relation to God.

That is a grand purpose, and one, which I do not believe has changed throughout the years.

8th Aug, 2009 - 1:27am / Post ID: #

Changes Mormon Doctrine Practice Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

QUOTE (dbackers @ 7-Aug 09, 8:59 PM)
But are these changes a change in doctrine, or are they a change in how the doctrine is presented. I would purpose that the changes in the Temple ceremony are a change in how the message is presented, and not necessarily as change in the message itself. But I believe this is a point that we will disagree on.

Hmmm...I am not sure about that Dbackers, we are speaking about changes (removing certain aspects of the sacred ordinances) not simply changing a couple of words around. We are talking about important changes, not linguistics or merely presentational but I am open to your point of view and would like to know more about the presentation theory. Thanks.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Changes In Mormon Doctrine And Practice

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,