To Neuter Or Not That Is The Question.

To Neuter Question - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 18th Oct, 2004 - 4:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

21st Aug, 2004 - 12:26am / Post ID: #

I have a male cat who will be 2 in a couple of weeks. He never goes outside and the other cat I have is a spayed female. My question is does he really need to be neutered? If I must get him fixed will it be dangerous because I've waited so long? I would ask my vet these questions but I always get the feeling that he just wants to sell the procedure. I need to know if I'm being stupid for not getting it done? He is a very healthy cat and as of this date there hasn't been any spraying, which is what I've been told that intact males always do. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some help with this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links:
21st Aug, 2004 - 3:06pm / Post ID: #

Question The That Or Neuter To

I have never heard of their being an age limit to neuter any animal. usually this is done with the female to prevent you being stuck with an 'unknown' litter, but seems like you are concerned of your cat doing the same to 'someone' else? Here is a non-commercial page about the procedure:
Ref. https://dede.essortment.com/catsspayneuter_reta.htm

21st Aug, 2004 - 4:11pm / Post ID: #

To Neuter Or Not That Is The Question. UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Thanks JB for the article. I still am undecided, but I now have more facts. I have wondered if my two cats would get along if I got the male fixed. As it is now I have to keep them separated or they will fight. Kallie the female, is spayed, perhaps he, sees her as he would another male cat. If I was sure that his aggressiveness toward her would stop, I think I wouldn't hesitate to get it done. Anyway, thanks again for the information.

Post Date: 22nd Aug, 2004 - 1:11am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Renee, I don't think they are actually fighting. Even spayed females still go through a mini estres. She is taking his attention as combat. You can have any cat or dog spayed or neutered at any age. The sooner for males the better. Un-neutered males tend to have urinary tract problems.

Post Date: 18th Oct, 2004 - 12:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Pet over-population is a legitimate concern. The biggest rule I learned at an early age is that unless a dog or cat is certified as being of a "papered" breed and is of high caliber (ex. the AKC recommneds breeding only for those dogs whose lineage contains at least 6 champions), the pet should be spayed/neutered. Deliberate breeding should only be done to better the breed, not to simply create more animals for sale or otherwise. Besides, research overwhelmingly demonstrates that altered pets generally live longer, healthier lives.

Today's alteration techniques are far more gentle. More often than not, females are now given tubal ligations and males get vasectomies. The old methods usually involved partial or complete removal of reproductive organs. tongue.gif The decreased need for invasive procedures make for less stress on the pet, and much faster recovery time.

A quick musing... Why do folks refer to pet sterilization as getting them "fixed"? There was nothing broken! wink.gif

18th Oct, 2004 - 4:57pm / Post ID: #

Paul has said that he does not want to get our cat Bandit neutered. It is mostly because I told him about a cat I had who was neutered at 9 nine months and ended up with FUS (feline urological syndrome). He nearly died. The vet said that if I had waited another hour to bring him in there wouldn't have been anything they could have done. When I asked how this could happen he said that it happens a lot in neutered males. The only way to prevent this was to feed him a special and expensive diet. My other cat, Snapper, had several bouts with this but luckily he lived to the ripe old age of 18. This said Paul still refuses to get Bandit neutered and as long as he isn't spraying I must say I don't mind. Oh, in case I didn't mention this Bandit NEVER goes outside.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: To Neuter Or Not That Is The Question.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,