Australia

Australia - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 6th Sep, 2010 - 12:06am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

An Island?
Australia Related Information to Australia
27th Aug, 2004 - 2:05pm / Post ID: #

Australia

What Name Shall We Use For Australia?

This is a big issue for some countries - is Australia a continent or not? Some people see it as a large island.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Aug, 2004 - 3:39pm / Post ID: #

Australia
A Friend

Australia

I think it should be fall under the category of being called a continent. It is too large to be called an island ( or big island). As defined in the dictionary, a continent is a large landmass. Australia is a large landmass so it is a continent. wink.gif

27th Aug, 2004 - 5:58pm / Post ID: #

Australia Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

In my opinion, Australia is a continent. However, this is based on what I was taught in school. For a scientific comparison, check out this website. It poses some interesting facts and uses Greenland as an example for differentiating island vs continent.

ref: https://users.erols.com/jcalder/CONTISLAND.html

Post Date: 28th Aug, 2004 - 3:59am / Post ID: #

Australia
A Friend

Australia

That was a nice link you got there, Malexander. Thanks for sharing. All I know was also from what I learned from school. The link you gave gives more indept analysis to how it should be categorized. It's fun learning new stuff every now and then. wink.gif

28th Aug, 2004 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

Australia

I was also taught in school that Australia was a continent. I think that maybe it's a continent that is also an island. Whose to say that a place can't be both? One definition of an island is land that is completely surrounded by water. Another definition I found says the same thing but adds that an island is smaller than a continent. The whole thing is confusing so I say Australia is a continent. I think. tongue.gif

Post Date: 31st Aug, 2010 - 8:42am / Post ID: #

Australia
A Friend

Australia

There's not really any agreed convention on what a continent is other than it being defined as one of the main bodies of land on the Earth.
Australia is the smallest geographic continent on the planet and pretty cold and wet at the moment. wink.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Sep, 2010 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

Australia

Name: Roderick

Comments: When I think about an island then Britain and Ireland is what I think about. An island like Jamaica comes to the mind even faster since most people tend to associate "island" with the Caribbean. Now you have this huge mass of land they call "Down Under" and you put any of us next to it and we look like an embryo. Australia is definitely a continent.

> TOPIC: Australia

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,