Did Dragons Really Exist? - Page 2 of 2

This is an interesting topic for me with many - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 17th Jan, 2010 - 1:50am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 24th Aug, 2008 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

Did Dragons Really Exist?
A Friend

Did Dragons Really Exist? - Page 2

I believe you mean there is no scientific proof yet, or as far as we know, that dragons existed. Apart from our existence, is there any scientific proof that life can begin on a planet from the chemical cocktails immersing it?

With regards to saying there was no evolutionary need to develop such traits such as fire breathing... how would we know that? There are reptiles or some form or lizard which can spit some kind of venom or acidic substances right? These fluids may have appeared to be fire from drawings or other passing down of information. Acid falling on many substances, including metal, would cause some form of gas or fumes to evolve, giving the appearance of smoke.

We only know the ordinary classes of animals, reptiles, birds, amphibians, because we physically observe and documented these classes, it may very well be possible that there are other we haven't found or hybrids, so to say, of these classes.

In my opinion, the dragons seem related to the dinosaurs, although the dragons seem to be a more "refined" intelligent species judging from the portrayal of dragons, appearing less primitive than dinosaurs.

Maybe they are just the oriental interpretation of dinosaur bones, or a more evolved form of dinosaurs... possibly all the primordial dinosaurs didn't die out everywhere?

Of course the stories about a dinosaur wanting to capture a princess and a knight having to battle with that fire breathing creature to rescue her (sounds like Super Mario and King Bowser doesn't it? He does breathe fire...) I don't see with the relation to the oriental dragons.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Nov, 2008 - 10:25am / Post ID: #

Exist Dragons Did

Name: Glenwing

Comments: Personally, I think the argument from the non-believer standpoint is very weak. Most people don't go beyond the simple "it's too ridiculous" statement. There will be the occasional smart person who figures out that a reptile with 6 limbs has never been discovered. But unless you can prove that every single creature on this Earth has been discovered, get lost. For example, a recent discovery of a brand new dinosaur (the dracorex hogwartsia) revolutionized that theory of how the shape of the lizard head evolved (the flat to round theory). This proves that theories of things in the past are not always certain and are not always correct.

The flaming breath is easily explainable, using elements already found in nature. All you need is a fuel source and an ignition system. For the fuel, the key lies in the stomach. Some organisms, such as humans, have bacteria in the stomach that help break down food, producing gas (which in turn produce farts). If a dragon were to exist, all it would need was bacteria that produced an ignitable gas, and an organ to store it, likely another set of lungs or similar organs. As for ignition, just chewing on flint would produce a spark to ignite gas flowing through the mouth. The mouth would be protected from flames with it's saliva, just like licking your finger and running it through a flame.

8th Nov, 2008 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

Did Dragons Really Exist? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I once saw a Ben10 episode that gave the scenario that dragons were really aliens that once came to the earth on missions.

21st Nov, 2008 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Exist Dragons Did

I really doubt the dragon flame is nothing more then added value feature placed by a bard to appease his crowds. I would not be shocked if it was a flying dinosaur not in the 3 ton range but still larger then human. It is not like there was not skinned winged birds back then and even today. Pterodactyl were cold blooded right?

I do think they were more serpentine in shape then anything. Could they have been long lizards with heavy webbing that guided more then flew and spit venom of some sort?

17th Jan, 2010 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

Exist Dragons Did

This is an interesting topic for me with many spectrums.

Firstly I do not think the dragons we know of today in our books, to be real. However it is interesting that cultures all through the world developed the dragon myth, in their own way. These cultures had no, if little contact with each other. If they did have contact with one another it is highly unlikely to be strong enough to add the believe of dragons to their culture. So it seems to me there was something causing people to develope the idea of dragons.

Dragons are also more like elementals, spirits of the land, by most accounts. Perhaps this was the commoners protect land from barbarians or encroaching civilization (deforesting, ect). If a rumor was spread enough to be thought true, those of a lower intellect might think twice before entering that area were the dragon lived. Also it may draw tourists to a particular location such as the Loch Ness monster does for the area around the lake it supposedly dwelled in.

It is possible Kings used the idea of dragons to threaten their peasants. Keeping the trouble makers in line so to speak with sacrifices to keep the beast quite. Most likely dragons are man made via imagination for one reason or another. The idea probably came from old bones of dinosaurs, or legends passed down threw the ages from when dinosaurs actually lived. It is also very possible that some form of dinosaurs survived threw the ages.

From stories I've read or heard of dragons, they are tied to the land. As the land is hurt and magic is defeated by science the dragons disappear. It may be the species began to die off naturally due to enviromental conditions or a disease. Much like frogs, polar bears, ect are becoming extinct today because of the climate change. Or bees are suddenly dying from some unknown condition within the hive.

One final thought I have is a memory of a story I heard. A man was deemed a saint in a country, I forget wich one, because he killed all the snakes in the land. His friends at the local taverns hailed him a hero and spread the tale. Now knowing what we do, looking back into the history books, snakes did not exist in that location at all, before and after his claim. This seems to be a common occurence during the dark ages. Dragon slayers may have been copy cats much like this.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Did Dragons Really Exist?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,