Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 526 of 590

Out of Character: If we bought them, we should - Page 526 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 21st Mar, 2017 - 12:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

27th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian
Rogue
Rogue

+  « First of 590 pgs.  522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530  ...Latest (590) »
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons Dragons Dungeons & Dragons - KNtoran
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
20th Mar, 2017 - 11:16pm / Post ID: #
Krusten
Fighter 5
Character
Loner / Rear
Character Sheet Lock
Rival Has a Rival
Active Player Active Role-player!

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread - Page 526

Born Free says...

Out of Character: To get in the fort we need a real plan from now and not when we get there. We already know the challenge so how do you get into a fortification on a cliff? I'll leave you boys to figure it out *wink*.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Mar, 2017 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread
A Friend

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Yes, I agree with Krusten. We need to have at least the 80% solution. There are three methods of hitting the fort I can think of, from the air, by tunneling, and frontal assault. The second takes too long and the third is suicidal. So, I think we can levitate into the place with the drawbridge… but maybe we start with Ildrahil sneaking in at night? He may be able to get the element of surprise and get that thing lowered. As he does that, Krusten sets up in a wall and rains down destruction with her bow. Then Bastion and the Druids attack through lowered gate.

Post Date: 21st Mar, 2017 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Out of Character: half orcs and elves are both good at seeing in poor light situations. As a result, whether or not it is night, I don't think we can count on anyone without godly stealth modifiers remaining undetected in there for long. Ildrahil may get there one day, but isn't at that stage yet. The only point in approaching at night is to keep their advance warning to a minimum, and avoid them getting off shots with the ballista and archers while we're still on the approach. It probably won't help us much once we're actually in there.

That's why I liked the idea of several going in from the start. They have a better chance of defending themselves while working to open the gate than any one of us.

But seriously, if people start thinking this is too much for us at this stage, it costs us nothing to walk away.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 21st Mar, 2017 - 12:58am

21st Mar, 2017 - 1:57am / Post ID: #
Avan Ohek
Druid 5
Character
Lieutenant / Head
Character Sheet Lock

Page 526 Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Dark Druid says...

The last defensive feature not mentioned was the mile of open land from the treeline to the fort.

I agree with Abninja. Hitting the drawbridge first will give us that extraction option. But we should certainly not let anyone in alone.

The latest revision of my thinking is to go in on a pitch black, cloudy or new moon night. Hence the need for Darkvision - it lasts 3 hours! This will be to our advantage, as we can put out any sources of light - I will even prepare Darkness to dispel any 2nd level light spells, Create Water can put out fires and maybe Krusten could buy water arrows (Like those from the game Thief). I can't believe I'm a level away from Quench and Wild Shape, which would be super useful.

Then one man uses Fly and another Gaseous Form to get up, keeping the last GF potion for emergencies. The rest climb up the Rod of Lordly Might in ladder form (I believe it was a 20-30' wall and a 10' or 20' wide pit). We head towards the drawbridge first, checking to see if the gatehouse/barbican is trapped. Agreed?

I just remembered about our pets - the panther can climb, but the bridge may be the only way for the bear to enter.

Can Avan borrow one of Albrecht's wands, and 202 gold for the potion? I just feel the Amulet of Health was going to be necessary.

Reconcile Edited: iCon on 21st Mar, 2017 - 2:49am

Post Date: 21st Mar, 2017 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thread Party Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Out of Character: Yeah, with that kind of a kill zone for their ranged armaments, we definitely aren't trying this in day time.

Don't forget that the one who takes the Fly potion can potentially carry others in. We were talking about that earlier

At the meager price of going from a 60' to a 40' flight speed, Bastion could conceivably carry in up to 260 pounds of stuff, which could include 1-2 teammates.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 21st Mar, 2017 - 3:07am

21st Mar, 2017 - 12:11pm / Post ID: #
Albrecht
Druid 5
Character
Lieutenant / Head
Character Sheet Lock

The Wild Whisper says...

Out of Character: I like ICon's plan. I went back through the Dungeon Master thread to find the description of the area from last time. It may be metagaming a bit, but I think our characters would have pretty good rough estimates and would sit around talking about best approaches before leaving the tavern.

international QUOTE (KNtoran)
The crevice is about 25 feet wide. The base of the wall is about one foot away from the edge of the crevice. You can see some of the details as you look out from the tree line as you head down the path to the bottom of the hill. You can see walls that appear to be about 20 feet in height and the central square tower that is 30 feet to a side. The tower looks to be about 50 feet high.
If you go look at KNtoran's maps, you can see what he drew for the area as well, and he mentions there that is about a 1/2 mile road exposed as you approach the tower.

I think we can go in at night and try to time it so it is cloudy or no moon (Albrecht can take 10 and get 18 out of Survival, so I think we could predict weather for 24 hours and the moon at least a few days out). Then Bastion can fly in carrying Krusten and Ildrahil (About 250 lbs for them an equipment). If Avan wants to go in with them he can go in gaseous form. Then Albrecht will start summoning creatures and be ready to overrun the drawbridge as soon as they lower it (I took augment summoning to get a little more umph out of his summons).

As a side note, Albrecht plans to distribute the wands of CLW out to everyone in the party, so that there is a greater chance of someone keeping the party alive (Though it is a DC 20 UMD to use a wand if you can't cast the spell).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 21st Mar, 2017 - 12:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread - Page 526

Out of Character: Aw heck, I forgot UMD was so unforgiving. Trained only, can't take ten, can't take twenty, can't use Aid Another…

Anyone other than the druids would have to invest skill points (Minimum 1 invested for Ildrahil, 2 for Krusten, and 4 for Bastion), and then they'd have to keep rolling d20's and hope they hit near a 20 before they hit a nat 1.

In any case, sounds like it could work. I suggest we head out there now, start watching the place, and see if we can't pick off a few patrols to weaken their number. If we need to change the plan based on further details, or if we need something else to pull it off, we're not obligated to assault the place as soon as we see the thing.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 21st Mar, 2017 - 12:36pm

21st Mar, 2017 - 12:52pm / Post ID: #
Avan Ohek
Druid 5
Character
Lieutenant / Head
Character Sheet Lock

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Party Thread D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 526

Dark Druid says...

Out of Character: If we bought them, we should get the command word for the wands, no? So anyone can use one.

Excellent find on the detail there. The ladder is more than long enough. 1/2 a mile with road we should cover in 10 minutes, or 20 without Darkvision, or if moving silently. Plenty of time remaining on the potion.

Perhaps some of us sneak ahead, get the bridge open and Albrecht shows up a little later with all our horses for a contingent getaway. Or with a Speak with Animals, we instruct the horses to go in when they see it open - which would require some light.

So, anyone lending Avan 202 gp?

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Party Thread

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.