Homeschooling - Page 3 of 4

I actually agree with you BabyBlues. I always - Page 3 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 19th Apr, 2006 - 5:01am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
This is the general Thread - Country and State specific Homeschooling Topics are also available
17th Apr, 2005 - 5:48pm / Post ID: #

Homeschooling - Page 3

Unferth, thanks for sharing your experience. Even though I can understand what you mean, I think there are instances in life where a parent has no option but homeschool his/her child. My son just turned 5 years old and he is not ready to go to school next year (he has a development delay). I could decide to go ahead and place him in a school but that would be a nightmare not only for him but for everyone else in school. I also do not live in a country where they hacve resources available for children with his needs, now I am moving to Argentina which means he will be facing even more challenges because of a language barrier. I think homeschooling has a lot to do with what a parent wants the child to achieve in life, sometimes it will be easier for a parent to just drop the child to school and get over it, but the truth is that sometimes you just cannot do that because of special circumstances. A parent's role in homeschooling is a key factor, motivation is escential to get the child to perform in the way you expect.

Sponsored Links:
18th Apr, 2005 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling

While I agree, Unferth, that my niece is a genius wink.gif , I have to also say that her confidence to do what she's doing (translating for the courts, radio stations, newspapers, songwriters, etc.) plays an important part in her success. In my opinion, her confidence is directly related to homeschooling. In that environment, she was allowed to explore avenues that are not generally part of public school. She did attend public school until 5th grade, and absolutely hated it! And as a result, did not do well in her work. I believe very strongly that there are many many children and young adults who would benefit tremendously from homeschooling, because the environment of public school does not "suit" every child's needs. Competition, cliques, harrassment, peer pressure, are very stressful for a lot of kids, yet it's never acknowledged by most parents.

Parental involvement for kids in public school is not nearly as intensive as homeschooling, obviously. I think, as LDS_Forever said, a lot of parents just drop them off at the curb (or make them walk alone, even little 5-year-old kindergarteners!). These are parents who are the result of public school themselves, and have no idea what benefits their children would receive from homeschooling -- or even just a little more parental involvement in their public school studies. It's something they just never consider in the grand scheme of things.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

Post Date: 18th Apr, 2005 - 2:25am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Homeschooling UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

FarSeer, I do agree with you in that aspect. Parent involvement is a crucial role in the development of children. My parents are teachers, so they spend the summer with my sisters and I. We travel and play games as a family a lot. I believe that the intelligence of children depends on how much they interact with their parents. In the case of your sister's daughter, maybe she didn't spend enough time with her mother until she quit public school, and then she excelled because of her mother's motivation. If you look at the 'smarter' children in public school, you'll see that one characteristic that most of them share is a stay home parent, or a parent that is loving enough to spend time with their children.

18th Apr, 2005 - 3:54am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Homeschooling

Here is some factual information on this subject.

https://homeschoolinformation.com/homeschoo...statistics1.htm
Granted that this is a homeschooling advocacy organization, there are links on the page to actual studies. Other than anecdotal information, facts seem to be woefully lacking on this topic....

Academically
Home school students scored significantly higher than their public and private school counterparts. The studies below prove homeschool students do exceptionally well when compared with the nationwide average. In  every subject and at every grade level of the ITBS and TAP batteries. 

Socially
Studies also show homeschoolers mature and better socialized than are those sent to school. Dr. John Wesley Taylor's nationwide revealed that the self-concept of home school students was significantly higher than that of public school students for the global and all six subscales of the Piers-Harris Self-Concept Scale. The Galloway-Sutton Study (performed in 1997), showed that from five success indicators (academic, cognitive, spiritual, affective-social and pyschomotor), comparing with public and private schooled students, "in every success category except pyschomotor, the home school graduates excelled above the other students."

Following is my own opinion, after seeing two of my children graduate from school, one almost to do so, one in his first year of HS, and two in elementary.

The Public School system is broken! Farseer, do ANYTHING you can to keep your daughter out of the public schools!

My children have had all sorts of "socialization" problems in the public schools. The major things that children learn in school these days are how to either fight well, or how to flee from a fight. They learn how to be disrespectful to anyone and everyone, how to write poorly, using AIM language, how to just barely squeak by on grades, and how to swear well enough to make a sailor blush. Of course, oral sexual techniques and homosexual advocacy propaganda are two of the most popular social subjects. My middle son complained that over half of his school refused to talk this last week on the "be silent for homosexual rights day" (or whatever it was called).

In one of my son's social studies classes, anytime there has been a guest speaker brought to class, the experience has been truly enlightening. After all, the Green Party candidate, and the local environmentalist activists are definitely the only possible social studies points of view that our children should be learning about, right? And the teachers are very quick to point out how they pity anyone who thinks the Republicans aren't the scum of the earth.

I am not joking at all about this. These attitudes are common in the public school system, since they are indoctrinated in the schools of education at our universities.

If you want your children to be well-behaved, well educated, and strong citizens, home school them. Otherwise, you are playing the lottery in hopes that your child survives the experience with a shred of character.

27th Feb, 2006 - 7:39pm / Post ID: #

Homeschooling

Here are some interesting points on why the public school system is beginning to fear homeschooling.

Homeschoolers are a direct challenge to the public school monopoly. This monopoly makes it almost impossible to fire tenured public school teachers or principals. As a result, tenure gives most teachers lifetime guaranteed jobs. They get this incredible benefit only because public schools have a lock on our children's education

Many school officials also can't stand the fact that average parents who never went to college give their kids a better education than so called public school "experts." Successful homeschooling parents therefore humiliate the failed public schools by comparison.

Homeschooling parents also humiliate school authorities who claim that only certified or licensed teachers are qualified to teach children. Most homeschooling parents thankfully never stepped foot inside a so-called teacher college or university department of education. Yet these parents give their children a superior education compared to public-school educated kids.

Also, many public school officials resent homeschoolers because the typical public school loses about $7500 a year in tax money for each child that leaves the system. Tax money is the life blood of the public school system. Tax money pays for public school employees' bloated salaries, benefits, and pensions. Is it any wonder why school authorities don't want to lose their gravy train?

I never thought of the public school system as a monopoly, but it really is. I've heard teachers talking about tenure but never realized what it really meant. Tenure basically is a road block to prevent older, well-paid teachers from being dismissed simply to cut costs. This in effect is a union. In any case, coming back to homeschooling, the concept has become more acceptable in today's society, and based on some of the perspectives already addressed in this discussion, it seems to be more acceptable than the public school system, which is failing terribly.

https://newswithviews.com/Turtel/joel9.htm

28th Feb, 2006 - 3:15am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling

The school system is never happy when a child is homeschooled because of all the money they are losing. Right now, I am homeschooling my son and to be honest with you, I do not care whether the government may think is okay to do it or not, since the system is not providing with trained teachers and special schools for children with learning disabilities, then I have no option but to take care of it on my own. BUT I love homeschooling and I am seriously thinking in doing it with all my children.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Apr, 2006 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Homeschooling - Page 3

I have known and seen several people who have been homeschooled, and from my own personal experience, I think only about one or two of them benefitted from it. With homeschooling, as far as their academic life I have generally seen two types of people:
1. Students who were incredibly advanced and intelligent.
2. Students who were several levels below where they should have been.
I have yet to meet a medium, and I have seen the second type of person more than I have the first.

Another concern I would have, and once again this comes from my personal observation, is that they do not interact with people their own age all that well. Now there are always exceptions to the rule, and like I said, I am basing this solely on my seeing people who have been homeschooled. Yes, they may end up more mature because they are surrounded by grownups, but they do not know how to be around kids their own age. We have a family of four in our church who are all homeschooled, and the oldest one is of youth age, but he is so used to being around his much younger siblings. Because of that, when he comes to youth on Wednesday night, he does not know how to be with kids his own age, and his maturity level is actually much lower.

I went to public school growing up, and one thing that I was very thankful about it was that it introduced me to all types of people. Homeschooling is going to keep you relatively secluded unless your parents make an extra effort to enroll you in community activities. Being in a public school helps children to grow up with all sorts of colors and heritages all around them, so when they get into the real world, it isn't culture shock.

I am not entirely set against home schooling by any means. I think there are certain people that it works for, be it special needs or their learning style. A lot of kids do not do well in such a structured environment, and need a bit of freedom throughout their day to accomplish what a lot of us can accomplish in a classroom.

In our country, if a child has a disability, it is not a great set back educationally because we have so many programs dedicated to the education of children with special needs. My high school had the largest SLD/EMS program in our city, and I loved it. The students were great, and they were involved in extra-curricular activities, and the teachers and coaches worked with them. It also taught other students who had not been exposed to people with emotional or physical or learning disabilities how to deal with it and how to treat them.

One main reason I would consider homeschooling my child is safety. That is why a lot of people I know are homeschooling their children because they do not feel it safe to send their children to school anymore.

19th Apr, 2006 - 5:01am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 3

I actually agree with you BabyBlues. I always thought that the social skills you learnt at school were often just as important as the academic skills. Of course some public schools are horrible, but there are also some very good ones. It's a matter of finding one that is good.

But the only problem I could see with home schooling is that students will not get the opportunity to learn those valuable social skills which you need to survive in this world. Also, does home schooling wreck your childhood and affect your ability to make friends?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Homeschooling

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,