Homeschooling - Page 2 of 4

After reading Far Seers post I feel the need - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 17th Apr, 2005 - 7:02am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
This is the general Thread - Country and State specific Homeschooling Topics are also available
Post Date: 30th Aug, 2004 - 2:02am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Homeschooling - Page 2

ReneeisXena, No questions are great! smile.gif

How are the parents trained to teach their child?

Well, I don't think my parents had any proffesional training, and you don't really need that. The materials out there for the use of homeschoolers are endless. My mom did teach some physically, and mentally disabled kids, but I don't think you need any training.

What is done if both parents must work?

I would assume if both parents work, homeschooling would be quite impossible. If someone wants to home school, and they work, I would suggest either not to work, or to get a tuter. Private schools may be better than public ones too, I havent realy researched them.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Sep, 2004 - 3:35pm / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Homeschooling

My mother wanted to homeschool us...well that is when I asked her of course...but she really doesn't have the patients for it, which goes to show that some parents may not be cut out for home school teachers...but I wanted to know do you still have to wake up early or will you get to sleep in later...I think the schedule for high school times can be unfair at times but it help people to get use to the early to rise theme in life...I guess that there are benifits of both really...at one you can be in an at home environment and saftly learn without having to wonder if the kid next to you will cheat off your paper...laugh.gif...or you can go to a public or private school environment where you get more views from having different teachers as you go along...I've been to alot of different schools growing up and I feel that it gave me a broader development of human understanding...I see how certain states may not have as balanced as an educational system as others...mostly due to funding...but overall I would like to try out homeschooling, even though it's to late for me maybe I can try it with future generations...smile.gif

--RPG

Post Date: 4th Apr, 2005 - 6:14am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Homeschooling UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I have been home-schooled from sixth grade on up to high school graduation and am now back with my fellow student body in college. I am very happy that I was home-schooled and would encourage anyone who is thinking about doing it to give it a try. I guess you would have to have some faith in your child and have a fair amount of control over him/her. The reason for this being that you are the only authority making sure that your child does his/her work. My mom educated me by handing out weekly assignment sheets which I could complete mostly on my own and she could then ask me questions on the material I covered. My mom was also there for any questions I may have had.

Despite graduating from the fifth grade my education level was not up to par, but with patience (and you WILL need alot of this- I remember giving my mother a VERY hard time) my mom worked wonders. Parents know best how to teach their own children and how they best learn. A parent doesn't have to know all the answers, they just have to be willing to learn alongside their child and then you both can help each other through the work.

I would also like to address the argument that teachers complement parents in raising a child. When I was in school I never got the feeling that my public teachers cared one fig for me; I was only a single child in a class of 25-30 other children in a never-ending procession of other classes year after year. This was the feeling I had and my grades reflected this. If you don't want to be your childs sole resource for his/her education then there are other methods of offering your child social contact and mentorship from others. My parents enrolled me in martial arts because that was my interest, but there are social clubs and gatherings for almost any interest; just find the right one for your child. Well that is my fifty-cents.
-Unferth

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2005 - 10:27pm / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Page 2 Homeschooling

I for one have always been in a public school, and believe it is the best (although I might be slightly biased). I think that some people would do better in a public school than being schooled at home. When you are at a public school you want to compete with your friends which keep your grades up, and you learn to deal with people. However when your homeschooled you have no one to compete with. You do have a close relationship with the teacher (being homeschooled), this might cause you to have more interest in your education. Another down side to being homeschooled is the fact that some parents might not like a subject, and therefor not teach it or only provide their thoughts on a subject which would leave you narrow minded and lacking in your own opinions.

Both education systems have their ups and downs. I believe that it depends on the parent and the student. If the student wants to learn, than they're going to have a better education than the public schools. However, if the student is not interested in learning, then the student is going to slack off and not do their work, and with their close relationship to the teacher they might get out of learning.

16th Apr, 2005 - 6:54am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling

I for one have always been in a public school, and believe it is the best (although I might be slightly biased). I think that some people would do better in a public school than being schooled at home. When you are at a public school you want to compete with your friends which keep your grades up, and you learn to deal with people. However when your homeschooled you have no one to compete with. You do have a close relationship with the teacher (being homeschooled), this might cause you to have more interest in your education. Another down side to being homeschooled is the fact that some parents might not like a subject, and therefor not teach it or only provide their thoughts on a subject which would leave you narrow minded and lacking in your own opinions.

I can understand why you would think this but, from what I understand, homeschooling produces people who are more socially attuned and mature because they have interaction with more adults.

It depends, of course, on each individual set up: but I venture to say that homescholling families do get together with other homeschooling families and do have adults (other than the parents) teach the children too. Stats, as I understand them, show homeschooled children are better academically and socially than other children.

Both education systems have their ups and downs. I believe that it depends on the parent and the student. If the student wants to learn, than they're going to have a better education than the public schools. However, if the student is not interested in learning, then the student is going to slack off and not do their work, and with their close relationship to the teacher they might get out of learning.

or with a lack of such a relationship they might also get out of learning in a public school wink.gif

17th Apr, 2005 - 12:17am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling

I love homeschooling. I have a child with special needs that will not be able to go to primary school as yet and I am moving to Argentina, so I hope to find out the laws over there concerning homeschooling. I think homeschooling bring families together and is a great tool of developing a close relationship with your child. It also gives you the freedom to teach your child more things than just math and English but a whole variety of things than otherwise, they may not learn it at school.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Apr, 2005 - 1:44am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling - Page 2

I've stated here before that my sister has homeschooled her children, and how exceptional her eldest daughter is. Well, a recent update from my sis tells me that the same daughter (who is now 21) is going to be earning close to $100,000 this year due to her specific education in languages. These were subjects that she chose to learn herself, and although it was a requirement as part of the homeschooling legislation, she was able to choose the languages and the speed at which she learned them. That is something you can't do in most public schools, or even private schools, for that matter.

How many high schools do you know that offer learning to speak Chinese?

In my opinion, homeschooling is the best way for kids to learn, if it's an option for the parents to do so.

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2005 - 7:02am / Post ID: #

Homeschooling
A Friend

Homeschooling Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO - Page 2

After reading Far Seers post I feel the need to say "Results are not typical of homeschooling. Individual results may vary." I figure that FarSeer's sister's eldest daughter is as successful as she is because of a joint factor of first and foremost Great Natural Talent- in other words a genius. There are geniuses in public schools too and though I don't know any, I can only assume that they are out there. The other factor is opportunity, this is where I think homeschooling played a part in your sister's daughter's success. She had the opportunity to learn what she wanted and to throw her weight into it rather than having to go at the rate of an entire classroom.
I feel that in all likelihood your sister's daughter would have been successful in public school as well, though in honesty not as successful. As I stated I have been homeschooled since the fifth grade, but I, at the age of 21 only hold a little job at Dairy Queen making about 5,000 while maintaining about a 3.0 in college. My stroy is that of mediocrasy in comparison and I mention for the purpose of juxtaposition so people can see that homeschooling doesn't guarantee significant improvement over public education, but that it depends in large part on the disposition of the student. My disposition has always been that I could do better, I just don't want to.
Do keep in mind that this is only my opinion formulated by my experiences and that I really don't know FarSeer's sister's daughter at all.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Homeschooling

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,