Missouri St. Louis Mission - Page 2 of 4

Name: Veronica Morphy Country: Comments: My - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 30th May, 2014 - 4:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Also known as The MSLM Mission
14th Feb, 2010 - 12:24am / Post ID: #

Missouri St. Louis Mission - Page 2

This mission has been combined with other missions, you may want to check this Thread: Source 7

Sponsored Links:
6th Oct, 2010 - 1:39pm / Post ID: #

Mission Louis St Missouri

I was looking through old files and I noticed this on was not functioning. We maintained the old look but just updated the info: [..].

Above: Supplied by Sr. Peake

30th May, 2014 - 3:33pm / Post ID: #

Missouri St. Louis Mission Studies Doctrine Mormon

From the soaring Gateway Arch high over the Mississippi River to the banks of the wild Missouri River heading west, St. Louis is a territory still ripe for discovery. Founded as a French fur trading village in 1764, the community has grown into one of the most diverse and popular destinations in the heartland of America. Attached to its background are many of the pioneers of the Church and the State is known for having the 'Garden of Eden'

Mission History from the Church Almanac 1999 - 2000:

international QUOTE
Oliver Cowdery, Parley P. Pratt, Peter Whitmer Jr. And Ziba Peterson, joined by Frederick G. Williams arrived in Missouri on Jan 13, 1831. They preached to Delaware and Shawnee Indians in the adjacent Indian Territory. The same year Joseph Smith received revelation indicating that Independence, Jackson County, Missouri was to be the "New Jerusalem" And gathering site for the Saints.

This revelation led to an immediate influx of members, some of whom were ill prepared for settling and less obedient to Church instructions. This influx laid the groundwork for what became, in essence, a battle for turf between old settlers and Mormon colonists. On July 30, 1833 Missourian mobs drove the mormons out. The LDS refugees settled in surrounding counties.

Apostasy fueled internal problems in 1838. Several prominent leaders were excommunicated, and unwise rhetoric against them indicated Missourians again against the Church. Violence erupted on Aug. 6, 1838 and some died. On Nov. 2 the militia plundered Far West and drove out the Saints. The 12,000 - 15,000 LDS refugees in Missouri settled on the Mississippi River in Illinois where they established Nauvoo. During this period members found shelter in the more tolerant city of St. Louis where citizens once raised funds in their aid. In 1844 a Branch was started in St. Louis. The St. Louis Stake was organized in 1854.

The so called "Utah War" Of 1857 brought the end of the St. Louis Stake when Brigham young called all members to Utah. With the members gone, little missionary work occured until later in the century.

The Missouri St. Louis Mission was created in 1977. Membership in Missouri was 13,796 in 1974. Year end 1997 members were at 48,000 with 13 stakes, 92 wards, branches 27, missions 2, and temples 1.

Pres. Kimball Visits Mission

In 1978 a visit by Pres. Kimball
Above: Supplied by Randy Davis

President Spencer W Kimball was the Prophet at the time and as fate would have it he served his mission in the central states mission and served in Missouri area within our mission area. He came to dedicate a stake center in St. Louis, and visited his old mission area and talked to all missionaries serving there. His visit was most inspiring, as he shared his personal testimony, I recieved my own Very Strong Witness of the Gospel and his Holy Prophet. We dedicated that month's baptisms to him and the Lord.

I obtained the following info from: Source 5. For more State facts use the link to the 50states.com.

international QUOTE
"Centered on red, white and blue fields is the Missouri state seal. It is encircled by a blue band with twenty-four stars representing the number of states in 1821. The stars in the inner circle have the same meaning. Two huge grizzly bears support the circular shield in the center which has three parts: 1.The motto "United We Stand, Divided we Fall" 2.The right section representing the United States 3.The left section containing a moon representing a new state and a grizzly bear standing for courage. Origin of state's name: Named after Missouri Indian tribe whose name means 'town of the large canoes'"

[b]Some of the First Missionaries[/b

First Missionaries

Above: Supplied by Randy Davis

The history of the Church in Missouri began in the winter of 1830-1831 with the mission of Oliver Cowdery, Parley P. Pratt, Frederick G. Williams, and others to the Lamanites. The Church's presence in Missouri ended in 1839 when the Saints were forced to leave the state under threat of extermination. Interestingly enough, in modern times the Govenor of Missouri honored the Saints that were once dishonored.

A short time ago the Washington Post made a remarkable statement regarding the location of the Garden of Eden. It announced that Dr. Campbell, of Versailles had lately discovered that it was on this continent, and near where St. Louis now stands. That gentleman, according to the Post, asserted that the Mississippi River is the Euphrates of Scripture, and that the Bible furnishes evidence of the correctness of his conclusions. It is probable that Dr. Campbell is not aware of the fact that he is not the discoverer of what he now announces, the Prophet Joseph Smith having many years ago stated that the Garden of Eden was located in what is now known as the State of Missouri. The Prophet also pointed out the precise spot where Adam offered sacrifice to the Lord, and where, as the great patriarchal head of the race, he blessed his children previous to his departure from the earth. That sacred spot in Missouri was designated by the Prophet as Adam-ondi-Ahman, the meaning of which is--the land where Adam dwelt. Collected Discourses, Vol. 2, Andrew Jenson, January 16, 1891.

Post Date: 30th May, 2014 - 3:35pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Mission Louis St Missouri

MISSION MAP & Logo

Mission Logo

Map from Sr. Peake

Post Date: 30th May, 2014 - 4:03pm / Post ID: #

Mission Louis St Missouri

Missouri St. Louis Mission Alumni

1977 - 1979
Eric J. Marler
Keith L Stapleton
Randy Davis / PresDavis
Nathan Hennefer
Clint F.Reeder
Lucinda (Hale) Eldredge
Gary Murray
Jon Davis
Kera Day

1978 - 1980
Allan Perkins
Winfield Oakes
Kevin Smedley
Rita Denton Buckway
Susan Bee Talbot / SueBee
Rhonda G. McMillan / rmcmillanlds
Becky Williams(Jacobson) / Becbabe

1979 - 1981
Charles L. Ray
Teralin Christensen
Bill Fox

1980 - 1982
Mike Jepson
Gary R. Riddle
Dennis J. McCarty
Mark Laws
James R. Hall

1982 - 1984
Robert R. Nielson
Mike Graff
Tracy South (Graff)
Marti Price (Carroll)
Richard Skelton
Joel D. Carnline
Sandy Bowthorpe (Mariano)
David Major

1983 - 1985
Jeff Head
Roger Bartlett
Douglas Thomas
Cynthia M.Vandenberg
Lisa Mae Eppel

1984 - 1986
Delia Reynolds
R. James Parsons
Karie Jensen

1985 - 1987
James M. Orr
John Barnes
Matt Campbell
Brooke Ashjian
Trace Salmon
Kristina Ann Salmon
John M. Barnes
Van Vooren
Patrick Keawe
Sheri Edvalson

1986 - 1988
Ralph Hawkins
Ryan Schramm
Michael McConnell
Raphael Powell
Sister Peach
Frank Ferris
Dennis Woodbury
Brett K Stubbs
Damon Eddy

1987 - 1989
Troy Tait
Steven Magnone
Ken Brown
Layne Barney
Darlena Dick(Son)

1988 - 1990
Collette Collier Bise
Brian Johnson
Dave Wilkinson
Brian Johnson
Glen Troy Jones
Aaron Michael Scullin

1989 - 1991
Wescott Edwards
Deborah A. Blazek Hatchett
Daren C. Cole
Wescott Edwards

1990 - 1992
Tim (BUS) Van Buskirk
Eric Woffinden
Kindel Morris
Jared L. Johanson
Shawn Thomas
Lisa Jacobsen Wells
Kindel Morris
Tim Van Buskirk
Lynda G. Fowler
John Burt
Randelyn Trapp (Sister Marble)/ krtrapp
Chuck Sensiba

1991 - 1993
Shawn Teare
Dave Hunter
Regina (Cude) Alexander
Jeff Corrington
Adam Tidwell
Richard Caywood

1992 - 1994
Stephanie Ingermanson
Weston Fisher
Jennifer Samples
Brian Finnegan
Jennifer Merrill (Sr.Dahle)
Julia Shumway Holmes (Sr. Shumway)
Jennifer Samples
Bradley Robinson
Justin Robinson
Douglas Dawes
Chad W. Adams
Liza Lee

1993 - 1995
Mark Lange
Ana Levatau-Uasike
Lori(Anderson) Davenport
Robert Johnson

1994 - 1996
M Scott Holdaway
Jo Ann Pancheri
Jerry Whitehead / jcwhitey

1995 - 1997
Tony Foster
Daniel Hopkins
Jo Ann Pancheri
Jamie Wood
Nathan Hennefer
Mekeli P Miller
Tim Anderson
Jade A. Barton
Brian Allred
Brian Coleman/thespidey
Steven Peterson
Daniel Hopkins

1996 - 1998
David Miller
Peniamina Kapu
Courtney Wood
Emily Williams
Allen R. Wright
Eric Hansen
Jeremiah Cundiff
Brent Taft
Weston Johnson
Mark Lomenick
Cecil Sullivan
David Foley
Jennifer Jackson/Ehlert

1997 - 1999
Neil Bryce
Matthew Sessions
Kendra Campbell Stein
Andrew Smith
Joel Solomon
Nateijie Hamilton
Lonnie Petersen
Jade Barton
Mark Walsh
Barbara Hoit
Stephanie Fryer
Jared Turnbow
Mindi Sargent
Zachary Taylor Kelsey
Aaron Moulton
Leland Spoerl
Susanah (Sanborn) Stromness
Gretchen Pratley
Cathie McMurray
Mike Allred
R. Aaron Clinger
JR Wright
Stephen Eich
Kristal Ginn
Brad Gardner
Andy Fackrell

1998 - 2000
Shandece Whitby
David Grunig
Earl H. Jack
Johnathon Hager
Robert Smithberg II/otherbob23
Jay Carl Haslem
Skij Boersma
Wade A. Hughes
Danielle M. Simms
Brad Gardener/millsu2

1999 - 2001
Jeff Goodwin
David Gary Flinders
Joel Davis

2000 - 2002
Brian Barter
Jared Casper

2001 - 2003
Heidi Elizabeth Koegler

Post Date: 30th May, 2014 - 4:45pm / Post ID: #

Missouri St. Louis Mission

Missouri St. Louis Mission Past Mission Presidents

1977 - 1980 -- Pres. Norman Olsen
1980 - 1983 -- Pres. Leon Hartshorn
1983 - 1986 -- Pres. Charles Tate
1986 - 1989 -- Pres. Rydalch
1989 - 1992 -- Pres. John Frame
1992 - 1995 -- Pres. Mc Grath
1995 - 1998 -- Pres. Stewart Preece
1998 - 2001 -- Pres. Rand Packer
2001 - 2004 -- Pres. David Richards

Pres Rydalch

Pres Olsen and family

Pres. And Sister Tate

Pres.and Sister Hartshorn with Sister Bowthorpe at a zone Conference in Fairviewheights Ill.
The two pics above were submitted by Sandy Bowthorpe (Mariano)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th May, 2014 - 4:46pm / Post ID: #

Missouri St. Louis Mission - Page 2

Name: Jennifer

Comments: My name is Jennifer Ort. My maiden name was Jennifer Trullinger. I currently live in Kansas City but I as baptized in 1994 in the Columbia University Ward in Columbia, MO which is a part of the Missouri-St. Louis Mission. I was looking at this website hoping to find some way to contact the missionaries who lovingly and patiently taught me--not only through the discussions but with their examples. I love being a member of the Church and those who taught me have impacted my family for eternity! I'm grateful to the missionaries for being courageous enough to share the gospel with me. I am now married (In the Denver, CO temple) and have 2 children with one on the way. I am the Laurels advisor in the Kansas City 1st Ward.

Post Date: 30th May, 2014 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Missouri St. Louis Mission Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Name: Veronica Morphy

Comments: My maiden name is Jones. I didn't serve a mission here but my family lived in Scott AFB, which is east of St. Louis. We lived there from about 1989-1993. My parents are Mike and Lupe. Brother Brian and sister Rebeca (Becky). We loved it there and always had the missionaries over for dinner. The only missionary I can remember off hand was Elder Loose from Canada. Thanks for new site.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Missouri St. Louis Mission

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,