Mormons Don't Ask That - Page 3 of 3

A general class is understood, but sometimes - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th May, 2008 - 4:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
When you ask the wrong question or are too inquisitive
15th Sep, 2005 - 4:18pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Don't Ask That - Page 3

I have come to understand this more... when you ask something difficult, the answer you get may not be the right answer or best answer. Your research should be directed towards the scriptures and the Spirit rather than a mere man who may or may not end up having to use the same method: scriptures and the Spirit.

The Lord has called men to give us administration related policies. These policies are based many times on their own perspective. That perspective may not be the best way, but most times it has nothing to do with Salvation and is just a matter of some red tape or policy as even Pres. Monson once recognized (do not have the quote handy, but it was about putting a water fountain in Haiti).

Therefore, those things that we do need to know is already outlined for us in the words of the Prophets, both old and new, and we merely need ask the Lord instead of man.

Sponsored Links:
25th Sep, 2007 - 6:26am / Post ID: #

That Dont Mormons

QUOTE (JB @ 15-Sep 05, 8:18 AM)
Therefore, those things that we do need to know is already outlined for us in the words of the Prophets, both old and new, and we merely need ask the Lord instead of man.

I agree with this. I especially like the point you brought out in the previous post about the Spirit.

Truly if we are trying to learn it can only be done on an individual basis through the scriptures, prayer and the spirit. It is a process I believe much like other aspects of the gospel. It intrigues me how many "patterns" are in the scriptures and as you start to look for them, how they repeat in many areas. I think that may be because it all comes back to Truth. I love the quote by Joseph Smith someone mentioned earlier regarding his pleading for the Saints to come to him and learn the doctrine. I don't think those are the exact words but I have always hoped that if I would have been in that time that I would of been great friends with Joseph and at his feet learning as much as I possibly could. I was not there, so I try and learn in our day from the past and the present-day prophets.

3. I believe the most appropriate time to share the deeper Doctrines is with our families, especially when we think they are ready. At home we are the Patriarchs and Matriarchs and have a right to revelation as to how much we can discuss with our own prosperity based on their readiness. 

This point struck me hard as well. I believe this with all my heart. In these last days I wonder how many know WHO they are bringing up and what they will be accomplishing in their lives. Of my five children, all like going to church and those things pretty well but my husband had a wonderful thing happen while he was blessing our second son, he thought he was finished but paused and it came clear in his mind that he was to bless him that he would be a Special Witness unto Christ. My husband had only had the priesthood for about a year - year and 3 mos--and it was such an awesome experience for him. Because of that blessing we have watched Lance close with spiritual matters and he is seriously incredible--the things that come out of his mouth and mind--talk about Deep.

Now please don't misunderstand me--I am not saying that I think my son is going to grow up and be an Apostle--what I am saying is that it makes JB's point #3 hit close to home. I think he will be a witness but it will have to have had a foundation and it won't be in his deacon quorum or Sunday school. That firm foundation has to be taught at home--that is quite a job but truly the only eternal job that we have. I think some would be amazed if they (all of us) could have those spiritual talks with our kids.

27th Sep, 2007 - 4:47am / Post ID: #

Mormons Don't Ask That Studies Doctrine Mormon

Truly if we are trying to learn it can only be done on an individual basis through the scriptures, prayer and the spirit.

Yes, that is the end all. I think the asking is the exciting part, and the answer given by man should just be the 'tip' or in other words a lead, like an investigation. From there you can do your own research and see if the 'tip' correlates to what the scriptures says. If you come up with differences then it will be a matter for asking the Lord. Usually when I am asked a question that can be considered 'deep' I ask myself two questions before answering:

1. Who is asking?
2. What is the motive behind it.

The answer to those questions will determine how I answer, but at no time will I say "Don't ask that".

2nd Nov, 2007 - 11:13pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 That Dont Mormons

I think the doctrines of the Gospel are given to us in the Isaiahic (is that a word?) fashion of line upon line.

The Basics of the Gospel often must be understood in order to understand the deeper things. If I do not understand the basic doctrine of the Premortal life then then the eternal nature of spirits unfathomable.

If I do not know that the fall was expected and even part of the plan of God, then the Eternal aspects of the Atonement can be confusing.

I can understand why, as the Church is expanding, that certain doctrines are not taught to the general membership. As we are all at different levels, certain doctrines cannot be understood without a firm grip on the basic doctrines. Heck, There are certain basic doctrines that I am still trying to grasp.

I think that is why the Temple is reserved for those who have reached certain level of worthiness and spiritual maturity. It does not mean that that person is better then another, only that they have reached a point where they are ready to receive further light and knowledge.

I think that as we become more grounded in our faith, searching the Mysteries of the Gospel can edify us. If,however, we are cynical, I believe searching the Mysteries only hardens our hearts, and leads us to incorrect conclusions about revealed doctrines and precepts.

6th May, 2008 - 4:55pm / Post ID: #

That Dont Mormons

A general class is understood, but sometimes questions asked are answered in the "Catholic" way:

1. Why argue about that?

I could never understand how asking a question can be considered "arguing".

2. That is not important for your salvation.

I did not ask if it was, and do we only study things that are important for salvation? If so, then we will be like robots if we cannot even wonder about the eternities or show interest because of curiosity.

The writings of Isaiah are "dualistic" which is what I think you meant.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormons Don't Ask That

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,