Do Terrorists Have Legit Reasons - Page 2 of 3

I think most Americans would find it shocking - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 21st Nov, 2007 - 8:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Best of  Do Terrorists Legit Reasons Can terrorism ever be justified?
31st Dec, 2004 - 2:58am / Post ID: #

Do Terrorists Have Legit Reasons - Page 2

international QUOTE (Pheidon @ 30-Dec 04, 12:14 PM)
Someone might call somebody a terrorist, but another person might call him a patriot or a freedom fighter…

During the revolution in the USA, the British probably would have labeled the American Freedom Fighters terrorists as well.

I'm sure that the British would have labelled the US revolutionaries as terrorists. However, those revolutionaries only targetted military targets. They did not target innocent civilians (Although some British officers DID).

That is the difference between patriots and freedom fighters vs. Terrorists. Patriots and freedom fighters attack the military. They may attack some infrastructure. But they don't purposely target innocent people. They don't put plastique-laden vests loaded with nail, onto their children, and send them out to murder and maim other peoples' children. They don't use sniper rifles against 10-month old children. They don't walk up to a car filled with a mother and her little children, then execute them all.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st Dec, 2004 - 4:05am / Post ID: #

Do Terrorists Have Legit Reasons
A Friend

Reasons Legit Terrorists Do

Some of the underlying complaints of Muslim terrorists are relevant concerns, especially when it involves our close relations with Saudi Arabia and Israel--both countries with questionable civil rights records to say the least. They voice some of the concerns of more moderate Muslims, but that doesn't mean they are justified in their violence.

9/11 was a horrific atrocity, but I think the Blum quote refers to American terrorist actions when dealing with countries like Cuba, Nicaragua, and several others. The only difference in these cases is that it is called "counter-terrorism" or "regime change". There is some literature on CIA operatives assisting contras who attacked soft targets under the Sandinista government. US-funded Cubans work out of Florida to sabotage industrial sites in Cuba among other actions that would more than likely fall under "terrorism".

Overall, I think it really depends on who is pointing the gun and who is writing the history..

Post Date: 31st Dec, 2004 - 10:40am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do Terrorists Have Legit Reasons History & Civil Business Politics

You are so right! There is no acceptance of the methods chosen by this people to fight for their cause but let's take as an example the war in Afghanistan (When Bin Laden was a friend and a freedom fighter for US point a view and a terrorist from the Russian point a view).

11th Jan, 2005 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Reasons Legit Terrorists Do

There is a shread of truth in most complaints. 10 witnesses see the same accident and you get 10 stories...all somewhat correct. If we go back far enough in history, I think that most everyone was a terrorist at one time to another group. Especially, if you use todays broad brush of the word terrorism.

I think the real problem that the Islamic extremist bring to the table is a total embracing of Jihad and Martyrism. There is no true desire for Islamic extremists to fit in with the world culture - to be friends with their neighbor that is different. As a mater of fact, they would like to destroy everything that is not the same and they believe they are totally justified in doing it. The Crusades were very similar to this. When people are poor and want someone to blame, it is very easy to point to another group and place all your blame there as to your problems - Hitler is a prime example.

There are some very fine Islamic people in the world and I know several. When asked about this extreme group of their religion, they always say the same thing: they are interpreting the book as they want to and by the way - incorrectly.

Have the terrorist (our word for them) been wronged in the past? Probably. Does it warrant a Jihad? Hmmm...now that is a interesting question. I really do not think it warrants a Jihad or shall I say a Crusade on their part. Remember, by the very nature of the word Jihad, they want to eliminate everyone that is not them and by their actions, you can see they are intent on just that.

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Post Date: 12th Feb, 2005 - 11:11am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Reasons Legit Terrorists Do

The thing no one seems to mention is the fact that these people teach there children in schools that America is an evil regime who is responsible for all there future woe's. From the beginning these people are taught that they will one day face the Americans and when they do it is time to kill them. They are told lies there whole lives but at one point it does become their choice to believe what they have seen or what they have only heard. Like in Afghanistan the children there in the beginning were very fearful of the American soldiers because they heard all their lives that one day the Americans will come and try to take everything you have, they are evil and they want to kill and raope you. We must be prepared for the day they come. The day we came they had no idea why we were there only that they were taught that one day we would be there and now all their childhood nightmares are coming true. Once we got the news up and running for them they soon came to realise that what they heard all their lives was a lie. what a rude awakening of an entire people. Funny how now they play in the streets with the American soldiers the assist when they can and they truly appreciate all the things we are doing for them. Iraq might take a little longer but it will likely end the same way.

9th Apr, 2005 - 2:31am / Post ID: #

I just found out about a very interesting blog. It is called I Could Scream Examining the plight of women under Islam.

In a recent entry, the author of the blog put together some very interesting information about Al Qaeda. The title of the entry is: Everything You Thought You Knew is Wrong

So Dr. Sageman began collecting biographies, some four hundred of them. He limited his analysis to men who specifically targeted "the far enemy" in order to eliminate people whose goals were more nationalistic and less purely Salafist.

Guess what? Everything you thought you knew is (mostly) wrong. The terrorists are not a bunch of disaffected adolescents, à la John Walker Lindh. Using a social-network analysis of his group, here are some of Dr. Sageman's findings:

Read the rest of the entry to see what Dr. Sageman found out, and why he started the research in the first place.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 21st Nov, 2007 - 6:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do Terrorists Legit Reasons - Page 2

*moved from another thread, doesn't quite fit this one but it's close enough*
Further note: This is not about JUST Islamic terrorist or whatever they want to call themselves.

Insurgent and terrorist are terms that keep getting thrown around as of late, but what does it actually mean? In the past most of these groups were called rebels, counter-government forces, resistance, terrorists, insurgents, revolutionary forces, freedom fighters, liberation army, or simply criminals.
Most of these groups still refer to themselves with the old handles, but outside observers classify them with either the terrorist or insurgent label. Some of these groups engage primarily in criminal activity while still claiming to be a resistance.

This is just from what I've had to deal with.

Various Columbian insurgent groups could be more accurately described as armed bands of criminals. I fail to see how any cause they claim to stand for is furthered by kidnapping and drug trafficing.

Kosovo can only be described as confusing. There are numerous groups all fighting for or against different things. The two main forces are the warring religious groups and the anti UN forces. Civil war doesn't quite describe it, unrest comes closer. I don't know what to accurately call either force.

Do freedom fighters still exist, and if so what differentiates a freedom fighter from the rest?

Post Date: 21st Nov, 2007 - 8:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do Terrorists Legit Reasons Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

I think most Americans would find it shocking to know that the terrorist who hit us on 9/11, Osama bin Laden, told us exactly why they attacked. As well, they gave prior warning. Bin laden said that US soldiers on Saudi Arabia soil was blasphemy because they are not Muslim and the two most holy sites in Islam are on Saudi soil. They told us to get off that "Sacred" land, and we didn't leave. Thus, he blew up our towers. I'm not giving justification for that type of response, but its a legit reason when religion comes into play. This is how people behave and respond to what they see are attacks against their religions. Many, even most people have evolved past that point, but in the middle east, they haven't.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Do Terrorists Have Legit Reasons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,