A Lie Or A Mistake?

A Lie Mistake - Matrix Trilogy - Plugged RPG - Posted: 12th Dec, 2004 - 10:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

12th Dec, 2004 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

A Lie Or A Mistake?

Matrix

In the first Matrix movie, it was a general disappointment when the Oracle told Neo he was not the one. But, in the end, it turned out to be false. Consider the following:

1.Did the oracle lie on purpose? Did she know Neo was the one? If she did why did she lie?
2.What would have happened if Neo would have known he was the one? Would he still have gone to rescue Morpheus when he was caught? Would his powers as the one stay the same?

Sponsored Links:
12th Dec, 2004 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

Mistake Or Lie A

Matrix

Smude, the beauty about the conversation you are referring too is that the Oracle never told Neo he wasnt the One directly. She basically played word games with what Neo said himself. So your question really isnt valid because it was never a point about being told he was the One. It was about him realizing that he was the One, and acting like he was the One. Here is the transcript from the conversation and try to see what I am saying:

Oracle: So, what do you think? You think you're the one?
Neo: I don't know.
Oracle: You know what that means? It's Latin. Means `Know thyself'. I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Being the one is just like being in love. No one can tell you your in love, you just know it. Through and through. Balls to bones. Well, I better have a look at you. Open your mouth, say Ahhh.
Neo: Ahhh.
Oracle: Okay. Now I'm supposed to say, `Umm, that's interesting, but...' then you say...
Neo: But what?
Oracle: But you already know what I'm going to tell you.
Neo: I'm not the one.
Oracle: Sorry kiddo. You got the gift, but it looks like you're waiting for something.
Neo: What?
Oracle: Your next life maybe, who knows? That's the way these things go. What's funny?
Neo: Morpheus. He...he almost had me convinced.

12th Dec, 2004 - 7:11pm / Post ID: #

A Lie Or A Mistake? RPG Plugged Trilogy Matrix

Matrix

hmm, you're right, thanks for pointing it out.

But the question can still be asked. Do you think the oracle has known he is the one? She said maybe next life, do you think she knew it was actually this one?

How about number two in the first post?

12th Dec, 2004 - 9:38pm / Post ID: #

Mistake Or Lie A

Matrix

I think she said that to all 6 Neo's because they had to basically figure out their identity and purpose on their own. I don't believe she knew it was going to be this iteration of Neo that would 'save' Zion, because, like the Architect, she too was a program. I say this because at the end of Revolutions, Seraph asks the Oracle that very question, and it goes like this:

Seraph: Did you always know?
Oracle: Oh no. No, I didn't. But I believed. I believed.

As for Neo knowing he was the One, and whether it would have changed his decision to go after Morpheus, I don't think it would have. He knew Morpheus was going to be in danger, and that his decision would affect whether he lived or died. Whether or not he was aware he was the One, he would have tried to save Morpheus. Obviously, he would have been able to use his powers in the Matrix to save Morpheus, like fly into the room, beat the agents and leave.

12th Dec, 2004 - 9:55pm / Post ID: #

Mistake Or Lie A

Matrix

I think it did affect his choice because of the second thing she told him. Here is the continuation of the dialogue between them:

Neo: Morpheus. He...he almost had me convinced.
The Oracle: I know. Poor Morpheus. Without him we're lost.
Neo: What do you mean, without him?
The Oracle: Are you sure you want to hear this? Morpheus believes in you, Neo. And no one, not you, not even me can convince him otherwise. He believes it so blindly that he's going to sacrifice his life to save yours.
Neo: What?
The Oracle: You're going to have to make a choice. In the one hand you'll have Morpheus' life and in the other hand you'll have your own. One of you is going to die. Which one will be up to you.

And here, again, she is wrong. Or sort of wrong, because Neo did die, but later woke. But because of these two prophecies, Neo has rescued Morpheus. If he would have known he is the one, he would have preferred to let Morpheus die, since the one's life is more precious.

I also believe she did strongly believe that Neo is the one, and didn't show that belief on purpose, to get Neo to rescue Morpheus.

12th Dec, 2004 - 10:08pm / Post ID: #

A Lie Or A Mistake?

Matrix

I disagree Smudge. First of all, Neo did die and Morpheus lived. It was at the end of Revolutions, but he did eventually die. Why? Because he chose his fate as being the One. So the Oracle was correct. Also, the logic in thinking that Neo would have let Morpheus die if he knew he was the One doesnt seem to follow in the decision he made in Reloaded by going back to the Matrix to save Trinity. Why would he choose to save Trinity knowing what the Architect had told him and that Zion would be destroyed? I still believe he would have chosen to save Morpheus, and he would have actually had a better chance of doing so with his powers, if he already knew he was the One.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Dec, 2004 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

A Lie Or Mistake

Matrix

You're right, I was thinking inside Matrix one, I kind of forgot about the third undecided.gif .
That's weird, the oracle's prediction really nagged me in the Matrix, and I didn't understand how she could be wrong, but then in Revolutions, I didn't connect between the two.

Anyways, at the first movie, Neo seemed to strongly believe in the Oracle, only later on did he try to bend faith to his will. I think that only because he saw that both he and Morpheus could be saved in the first movie, regardless of the prophecy (which he probably thought was referring to that same case) did he believe less strictly in faith, and more in actions.

> TOPIC: A Lie Or A Mistake?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
The Wachowskis and Warner Bros. are the original copyright holders, creators and producers of the Matrix Trilogy. Material used here is on the basis of "fan" site. Plugged RPG is a FREE custom built Text RPG based on the Matrix concept giving Players a chance to use the Matrix Theme in a Play by Post environment.