Tsunami Destruction - Page 2 of 5

Did animals' 'sixth sense' - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 31st Dec, 2004 - 2:28am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
29th Dec, 2004 - 7:03am / Post ID: #

Tsunami Destruction - Page 2

A couple of notes on this:

First, since this is a business board - we have all seen on the news the devastation that has occurred. We also see how underdeveloped these countries are. American corporations have not improved the quality of life in these places by sending so many of our jobs over there and paying them next to nothing. It is unethical on many levels.

Secondly, this event has taken more lives than 9-11 and the Oklahoma City bombing and the Waco incident and many other historic news items. However, we see a few flashes of it on the news, and then it's on to the weather and sports, and of course it's sad, but it doesn't seem to mean much to people who aren't affected by it. That worries me. I am concerned that I am not more concerned. I am upset that I and the people around me are not very upset. Perhaps everything is so sensationalized that when something actually horrific happens, we are programmed to take it in stride. Perhaps media outlets have cried wolf so often over frivolous things that we no longer respond with much emotion when we really should. If this is really the case, it is more serious than just one colossal disaster - it is a tragedy born of prosperity, and a sign of a crumbling society.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 29th Dec, 2004 - 8:27am / Post ID: #

Tsunami Destruction
A Friend

Destruction Tsunami

I watch the media coverage and still can not belive it. They still go for the dramatic , this is all a big show with unlimited possibilities for them. Maybe this is the way to impress viewers and get help but I really doubt that this is the main purpose of the media...

29th Dec, 2004 - 11:51am / Post ID: #

Tsunami Destruction History & Civil Business Politics

and of course it's sad, but it doesn't seem to mean much to people who aren't affected by it. That worries me. I am concerned that I am not more concerned. I am upset that I and the people around me are not very upset.

I think the fact that it has happened so far from where you live and has little direct impact on you, plays a part in how it affects you emotionally. More than that, though, I think the scale of this disaster is so large that it is really impossible to fully grasp how awful it really is.

They still go for the dramatic , this is all a big show with unlimited possibilities for them.

I honestly believe they are doing their best to show us just how awful the devastation is. I think it is impossible for them to really show us in a manner that we can truly comprehend, but the reporters that are there, really do see how bad it is and they are trying to get us to all understand as well.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

29th Dec, 2004 - 12:31pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Destruction Tsunami

They still go for the dramatic , this is all a big show with unlimited possibilities for them.

I would agree with that if it were months since the incident, but we are talking about thousands of people here in several different countries that died only a few days ago and the media is the way to get aid. I think it is unfair to think that something of this nature can be over emphasized. If it happened in your country where you live and you were missing loved ones then I am sure you would be glued to each news report, but alas, it is easy to stand from a distance and critique how everything should be in a natural disaster. If you want to rattle someones bones then why not rattle the scientist who had the technology to warn the countries of the impending danger hours before, but said nothing.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

29th Dec, 2004 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

Destruction Tsunami

Secondly, this event has taken more lives than 9-11 and the Oklahoma City bombing and the Waco incident and many other historic news items. However, we see a few flashes of it on the news, and then it's on to the weather and sports, and of course it's sad, but it doesn't seem to mean much to people who aren't affected by it.

I don't think is a matter of 'numbers' here, after all, every life does not have a price. Both incidents were terrible. What happens is that most news American channels just show what they think people will be interested in. Of course, something that happens in the US will have more relevance than something that happens in Asia. Now, I'm not saying is right but that's how the world of journalism really is, you cannot get caught in the emotional stuff while you're working. undecided.gif I know because I have been a journalist for years.

I am concerned that I am not more concerned. I am upset that I and the people around me are not very upset

I know what you mean and I do not want to sound bad, but terrible things like this happens every day. Every 5 seconds a child dies of hunger in the world...as I'm typing, dozens of children are dying...it is not a matter of how concerned you are, but what are you willing to do to relief somehow that concern.

Perhaps everything is so sensationalized that when something actually horrific happens, we are programmed to take it in stride.

So far, I think the media is doing a pretty good job, I do not think they are sensationalizing anything, people are suffering and mourning for REAL! what you see on TV, its something that is happening to thousands of people on Asia right now.

why not rattle the scientist who had the technology to warn the countries of the impending danger hours before, but said nothing

I heard about it and got me VERY ANGRY. I herad the excuse is that they did not know to who to contact about it. Such a poor excuse, I'm sure if it was something they knew was going to hit them, I bet they find the person to contact to. Jerks.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

29th Dec, 2004 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

Tsunami Destruction

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 29-Dec 04, 7:37 AM)
So far, I think the media is doing a pretty good job, I do not think they are sensationalizing anything, people are suffering and mourning for REAL! what you see on TV, its something that is happening to thousands of people on Asia right now.

I agree. The coverage of this event has been pretty good so far. However, my point is that today's news media do whatever they can to have a huge, significant story every day. With channels that are exclusively news, such as CNN, they need something to grab the attention of the channel surfers 24 hours a day. Thus, they make a big issue of many trivial news items. Whatever is most shocking TODAY is the top story TODAY, and TODAY it's the most important thing that has ever happened! A cataclysmic event is money for journalists, and the more events they can make sound significantly terrible, the more audience they get. They use all their hype and their energy trying to get us to watch regularly, and then when such a massive disaster happens, there is no way for them to adequately acknowledge its magnitude. Thus, we are conditioned to accept violence as the norm, and our moral senses are dulled by a world seemingly in constant crisis.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Dec, 2004 - 1:51pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Tsunami Destruction - Page 2

The number of deaths caused by this inccident has reached 115,000 according to:
https://www.CNN.com

Pictures of some of the Tsunami's victims
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4132761.stm

Tsunami warning halted "for tourist industry"

Just minutes after the earthquake in the Indian Ocean on Sunday morning, Thailand's foremost meteorological experts were sitting together in a crisis meeting. But they decided not to warn about the tsunami "out of courtesy to the tourist industry," writes the Thailand daily newspaper The Nation.
Ref. https://207.44.245.159/article7569.htm

31st Dec, 2004 - 2:28am / Post ID: #

Tsunami Destruction Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Did animals' 'sixth sense' save them from tsunami?

From CNN:

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Reuters) -- Wild animals seem to have escaped the Indian Ocean tsunami, adding weight to notions they possess a "sixth sense" for disasters, experts said on Thursday.

Sri Lankan wildlife officials have said the giant waves that killed over 24,000 people along the Indian Ocean island's coast seemingly missed wild beasts, with no dead animals found.

"No elephants are dead, not even a dead hare or rabbit. I think animals can sense disaster. They have a sixth sense. They know when things are happening," H.D. Ratnayake, deputy director of Sri Lanka's Wildlife Department, said on Wednesday...

https://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/30...reut/index.html

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Tsunami Destruction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,