Terri Schiavo - Page 3 of 10

I have two thoughts to add to this topic jumping - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 25th Mar, 2005 - 3:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »
Discuss  Terri Schiavo Feeding Tube Removed From Brain-damaged Woman
Post Date: 24th Mar, 2005 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Terri Schiavo - Page 3

No Hope for Terri

U.S. Supreme Court refuses to intervene in Terri Schiavo case. Lower court decision to remove feeding tube stands.
Breaking News: CNN.com

Sponsored Links:
24th Mar, 2005 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

Schiavo Terri

The political and partisan aspects of this case absolutely disgust me. I heard a clip of Michael Shiavo's attorney, claiming that the US is founded on the idea that liberty trumps life. This guy is claiming that Michael's liberty trumps Terri's life. Actually, the Declaration of Independence puts things in the right order - "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." Yet Michael Shiavo and his attorney have, with the colusion of liberal judges, reordered it into "the Pursuit of (Michael's) Happiness, Liberty (for Michael), and, if everything else works out, perhaps Life for Terri."

At the same time, where are the cries of support for Terri from the NOW gang, the ACLU, and all the feminist groups? I thought they were supposed to be helping save women from abuse and harm. Yet in this case, they ignore her. Has anyone heard from the "World's Smartest Woman"? (Hillary Clinton, Senator, (D) New York) I haven't. Yet she is building her political career on the back of feminist and leftist causes, including seeking to free known terrorists and murderers. But she can't say a word in support of a handicapped woman who needs her help.

Well, I could probably go on and on. I could include the fact that Michael Schiavo milked Terri's condition for 8 years before "remembering" that Terri had told him sometime just before her "heart attack" that she wouldn't want to have a feeding tube if she were incapacitated.

I have been avoiding news and commentary about her situation for the last few days. I have been following this case for over two years, and have always recognized that the judiciary would continue to side with Michael Schiavo, no matter what. They are convinced, for some reason, that she needs to die. And I don't want to hear any more of their rationalizations.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

25th Mar, 2005 - 12:22am / Post ID: #

Terri Schiavo History & Civil Business Politics

I am trying to avoid these news too. You know what?. When I heard the news that Terry's parents were going to court (the first one) I had a very bad feeling and I am still having it, and the feeling is that this poor woman is going to die and there is nothing they can do about it. It makes me VERY angry to know that her husband is going to get away with it and allow this poor woman to die of starvation *sigh*. I can't take it. Words cannot describe how I feel at this moment.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

25th Mar, 2005 - 2:51am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Schiavo Terri

Update, from Reuters:

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a plea from the parents of Terri Schiavo to restart her feeding on Thursday, leaving them nearly out of options and time in the seven-year legal fight for their [...] daughter's life.

This whole case is so distressing and disturbing.

Amen to everything you said Nighthawk, and most of the other posts.

The more I learn and understand about this case the more sickened I become. I can hardly bear to find out how this ends. I just am having trouble understanding how people can be so cruel and selfish (Michael Schiavo), so blind to truth and justice (all of these judges)- I am also deeply saddened by the way the media has fervently tried to twist the facts in this case and by the way the people of this country (in general) have not only let them, but embraced the inaccurate portrayal of this case. I just don't know how much more of this case I can handle.

I am just so disgusted and saddened and frustrated and I don't even know how to describe it.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 1 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.1%

25th Mar, 2005 - 3:14am / Post ID: #

Schiavo Terri

Ah, it just gets better and better. Now we arrest children for trying to be good and kind.

https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...r4209066064.jpg

Gabriel Keys (foreground) is arrested by police officers for trespassing in Pinellas Park, Florida, March 23, 2005. The young protester attempted to take a glass of water into the Woodside Hospice for the brain-damaged Terri Schiavo.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

25th Mar, 2005 - 3:18am / Post ID: #

Terri Schiavo

Yes, I saw this story on the news today and was completely appalled. They even led them out in handcuffs! Completely unnecessary in my opinion and just a reminder of how out-of-hand this issue has become.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Mar, 2005 - 1:50pm / Post ID: #

Terri Schiavo - Page 3

Since I hover between conservatism and libertarianism, this case presents a lot of conflicting ideas to discuss. I am thorougly disgusted by the way the Left, including the judiciary have handled it, but there are things about this that need to be discussed.

For example, just what is the definition of "persistant vegatative state"? Who makes the determination? What responsibility do courts have to assure that the person in a "persistant vegatative state" actually IS in such a state? Should the courts assign independant, highly respected doctors to examine the person to make such a determination? In cases where people use the "temporary insanity" defense, the courts go to all sorts of trouble to assure that the diagnosis is correct.

Should life trump liberty, or should liberty trump life? Certainly a person can choose liberty over life, but is it right for someone else to make such a choice for them?

Whenever there is a choice between protecting life, and protecting other rights, should we make sure that we err on the side of life, or is there some other rights that take precedence?

Thomas Sowell addresses some of these questions in a recent column:
https://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomass...s20050324.shtml

25th Mar, 2005 - 3:32pm / Post ID: #

Terri Schiavo Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

I have two thoughts to add to this topic jumping off from Nighthawk's points.

First, it is illegal to commit suicide. You can be terminally ill, in lots of pain, but you can't legally (in the vast majority of states in the US) kill yourself or hire someone else to help you die. Ask Dr. Kevorkian about this. I believe he may still be in jail for assisting people with such. Now, if it is illegal for one to ask for help in dying, how can it be legal to have one's husband or a hospital staff, or anyone else, deny you basic nourishment and water? How are food and water radical forms of treatment/extreme measures to prolong your life?

Second, there have been one or two people in the news in the past year who awoke from a coma after many years in such a state. So, we can never be positive that someone is in a consistent vegetative state, in my opinion.

I think one has the right to choose not to be hooked up to machines. I think a family member might have the right to remove a loved one from such machines if there is no hope of recovery without them, but I think that is a far cry from denying food and water.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Terri Schiavo

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,