Abortion Choice At 13. - Page 2 of 3

Konquerez, I think you will find in my previous - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 11th May, 2005 - 12:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
9th May, 2005 - 1:46pm / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13. - Page 2

Every child's life is far more valuable than the outdated teachings of an ancient arabic book.

I find this statement very offensive and believe it has no place in this discussion. The statement made just before this one is sufficient. In fact, many religious people on this forum have said they think she should have the choice even when they personally feel abortion is wrong. That includes me.

My belief relative to abortion isn't a religious one. I can't get past the fact that science has proven that their is life almost from the moment of conception. That isn't what this thread is about either. I am simply using that as an example as to why your above statement is out of line.

I really feel sorry for this poor girl and believe that she needs support and counselling rather than condemnation.

I agree. I don't recall anyone condemning her. The Courts ordered that she receive counseling first to be sure she knew what she was doing. I believe that was done to protect her. Are you suggesting they shouldn't have taken the steps they did to ensure her own mental well being in this case?

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
9th May, 2005 - 5:56pm / Post ID: #

Choice Abortion

Some of the facts in this case are missing from this discussion.

1. There is a state law that specifically says that the state cannot give permission for an underage girl to get an abortion. This law is NOT recent.

2. Governor Bush is NOT acting on his own authority in this matter, but is enforcing the law as it is written.

3. The court made this decision in direct conflict of established law.

I have a very difficult time dealing with this subject, as it deals with a minor. As funbikerchick pointed out, I don't know of anyone who is condemning HER. Those of us who disagree with the decision condemn the court, the system, and the societal teachings that convince a 13 year old first that sexual relations at that age are ok, and second that abortion of a living, viable baby is an acceptable alternative. That is where the outrage comes from.

As FBC pointed out, this is NOT the place to discuss abortion in general.

I think that this girl will be emotionally scarred for life, no matter what happens now. And we, as a society, have failed her miserably.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 10th May, 2005 - 2:47am / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13.
A Friend

Abortion Choice At 13. History & Civil Business Politics

I reacted to this issue with pure emotion and wrote a scathing email which I was ready to post but then erased... but I will say this...

We profess ourselves to be so wise, but we are becoming fools. This poor little girl... influenced by a society that encourages sex at a whim... encouraged by a society to see life as something to be rid of... Degraded by a twisted morality that would relegate the whole issue of her life and the life of this child to a political statement... and we call ourselves civilized and enlightened...

SHAME on US... we know better than that!

[and then we wonder why STDs and Aids is pandemic... we wonder why children are now killing children in our schools and on the street... we marvel at the calousness of our citizenry to be so cavelier to allow this... we are failing to learn from history... it appears as though we are going to have to endure a repeat pefromance]

10th May, 2005 - 10:30am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Choice Abortion

I'm not at all suggesting anyone in this discussion is condeming her, of course you're not because you are decent people. But I have seen media reports from the US where people HAVE condemned her for her and the courts choice to have an abortion, which I believe is wrong.

The statement about the bible is out of context in this discussion, I meant that in reference to the Catholic Church's influence on this matter in places like Africa and South America. However I think it is fair comment to say that a large portion of anit-abortion lobbyists belong to religous sects, but that is irrelevant in this topic.

I really feel sorry for this poor girl and believe that she needs support and counselling rather than condemnation.

How does the above statement imply that the courts should not have offered her counselling?

I think any state law that forces an underage institutionalised girl to have a child after falling pregnant is pathetic. Do we even know the circumstances of this girl becoming pregnant?

SteveB I think you will find that AIDS and STDs are spreading at alarming rates in the Third-World and many other countries due to a lack of education and use of contraception, not because people are having more sex.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Post Date: 10th May, 2005 - 11:41am / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13.
A Friend

Choice Abortion

SteveB I think you will find that AIDS and STDs are spreading at alarming rates in the Third-World and many other countries due to a lack of education and use of contraception, not because people are having more sex.

Arvhic

And how are STDs and AIDS spread? hmmm Am I missing something? I didn't know that a lack of education ever got a person pregnant or saddled with a disease... I thought it was the sex act itself?

I agree... the problem is not more people having more sex... the problem is sex outside the rules nature (I won't say God cuz that might 'offend' some people) set up [tsk tsk].

Break the laws of any system and its normal processes in nature and you will get an abberation which these are.

The education that is needed is one man, one woman remaining for and only each other. Do that and STDs and AIDS will disappear.

AND you won't have poor, uneducated girls like this going to 'counseling' that advocates the 'final solution' to the unwanted problem in the name of 'choice'.

(yes... I know... it's knee jerk but I am saddened at how 'without natural affection' we've become in the name of a skeward 'political right'. Truly... we gag on a knat and swallow a camel.)

Post Date: 10th May, 2005 - 2:56pm / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13.
A Friend

Abortion Choice At 13.

I don't mean any offence, but this is a ridiculous statement. Do we even know the circumstances behind this girl's pregnancy?

Believe me, no offense taken! This is a forum and everyone in entitled to their own opinion (and we are all here to share them). And no, I don't know the circumstances behind her pregnancy, but when you are looking at this from the outside (which we all are) you have to consider all possible avenues. I do not recall hearing this was a rape case, so she had to end up pregnant by some means.

My personal pro-life stance has nothing to do with religion, it is how I feel, and maybe it's because I've been influenced on how wonderful life is from being a mom, but life IS precious and when you look at a sonogram from 9 weeks, there is a rough draft of a body and a HEART BEAT.

As for god, nobody here knows that god exists. Human beings exist so lets not prevent others from making important life decisions over a belief that we can't prove.

Faith or lack of faith is not an issue in this conversation.............. "Fear of God" was meant as a figure of speech... sorry you didn't understand.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 11th May, 2005 - 6:17am / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice At 13.
A Friend

Abortion Choice 13. - Page 2

This subject started off as a discussion about a thirteen year old girl having an abortion and her right to make that choice. I believe that the spirit of this thread is to go beyond what the law says into the realm of you personal opinion on the matter of her rights. Human rights extend beyond laws and exist even if the laws don't exist to back it up. This is not a right or wrong issue. This isn't a discussion about ones views on God or whether or not God exists. This also is not a discussion on abortion rights, or when life exists or if it is a person in the womb.

What this is, is a discussion about a person. A person that is forced to make a hard decision on her own with no help from someone close to her. A little girl that has no mother or father to help guide her through this difficult time. A child that in her time of need, instead of help, is finding a society fighting over her right to make a decision about her own body that she alone will have to live with. Where are all the people fighting in court over this going to be when she has or doesn't have an abortion? They will not be around. No one is going to care about this girl when this is over. She will be alone again with her decision.

Most of you posting in this thread will never even think about her when this is all over. And thats a shame. She has the absolute human right to decide what happens to her body right now. Why? Because no one else is there to look after her. Because the only people that will be making the decision besides her do not really care about her. She is being used to backup someones crusade for or against abortion. Neither group will care when this is over. She will be a casualty of war to them. Let her have the right to decide her fate. She has to live with it either way, let her be the one that decides it. After being forced into a world in which she has no control, give her the control over her own body, she deserves that.

11th May, 2005 - 12:27pm / Post ID: #

Abortion Choice 13. Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Konquerez,

I think you will find in my previous threads that I do feel genuine sympathy for this girl and believe she need's counselling and ongoing support. I also believe, as you do, that she should decide what happens to her body.

For me this isn't a religious issue, it's an issue about what is in the best interest of this young girl.

I've been through an abortion with a previous partner and understand the physical and psychological stress it can have. It's a very hard decision that will affect anyone involved for a long time. It still effects me even though it was my partner who had the abortion. That is why I am pro-life because I believe that the issue shouldn't be about what is right or wrong for some third party trying to push an agenda. It should be a decision that is best for the individual and a decision they must make. And regardless of what you or I believe in we should offer support, because until anyone has actually been there, they won't understand what is involved.

Renee, sorry I misinterpreted your figure of speech. I also believe that life is precious and that we should not bring a life into the world if we can not possibly provide for it. That is irresponsible in my eyes, but each to their own.

I didn't know that a lack of education ever got a person pregnant or saddled with a disease... I thought it was the sex act itself?

SteveB visit South Africa mate. If you would like to start a new discussion on the root cause of AIDS pandemic then please do, but this is totally irrelevant to the current discussion.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Abortion Choice At 13.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,