Sudoku - Page 3 of 4

QUOTE Sudoku is great for killing time while - Page 3 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 31st Jan, 2007 - 9:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian

+  1 2 3 4 
13th Apr, 2006 - 10:43pm / Post ID: #

Sudoku - Page 3

I just finished a Very Hard sudoku puzzle, and let me tell you, my brain hurts. It took a good 30 minutes staring at the thing before I figured out a logistic way of moving forward. They are quite addictive and stimulating, but more so, they are a huge generator of headaches.

Sponsored Links:
14th Apr, 2006 - 2:39am / Post ID: #

Sudoku

Well, more power to you, my friend. I can't get past the easy/medium ones! If there are too many choices, I can't see how to make the one right choice that will tip the game ~ other than trial and error, which I hate.

Offtopic but,
By the way, for you puzzlers.. there is a great type of pencil eraser from Pentel called a "Clik-Erase." It's a refillable tube, kind of like a pen, but it holds a 4 inch eraser that will erase nearly any type of pencil I've used it for so far, including most colored pencils. And the "crumbs" are not little teensy shavings but larger so that you can actually scoop them up and throw them away. Beats having sawdust in your sheets smile.gif (disclaimer: I have no financial interest whatsoever in Pentel)

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 14th Apr, 2006 - 2:40am

14th Apr, 2006 - 2:56am / Post ID: #

Sudoku Reviews RPG & Card Board

Here are some tips and strategies I use to complete Sudoku Puzzles.

1) Pick the low hanging fruit first
This is the most obvious one. No number can be in the same row or column or box of 9, so you should be able to get a couple of easy numbers using these basic rules

2) Fill in all the possibilities
Now, some people may not agree with this, but it works for me. Once I've eliminated the obvious numbers, I start writing notes in each box of what the possible numbers are. Doing this will get you a couple more numbers, most likely

3) Start looking for doubles and triplets.
Doubles are a pair of boxes either in a row, column or box that need the same number. For eg, if a row has 2 squares that both only have 2,3 as possibilities, then you can eliminate both 2 and 3 from any other square in that row. Same can be applied for columns and boxes of 9. This may buy you a couple more numbers. Triplets are when you have 3 squares in a row, column or box with the same 3 number possibilities. Those are very rare, but possible.

4) Start comparing rows, columns and boxes.
This is probably the most time consuming. It involves sweeping each row, column and box of 9 to determine patterns eg, a number exists only in one row in one box, so it cannot exist anywhere else in that box. Once you see patterns and start eliminating numbers from other areas, you may pick up a few more.

5) Rectangle elimination
I have only had to use this once, but it helped me solve a Very Difficult rated Sudoku. Locate a rectangle anywhere in the puzzle which has the same number possibility in each corner. The key to this trick is that no other square along the edges of the rectangle cannot also have this same number possibility. If you find one of these rectangles, then you know that if the number exists in one of the corners, it can only exist in the corner diagonal to it. This also eliminates all possibilities of that number in any row or column that intersects each corner of the rectangle. Like I said, this is the most complicated pattern I have had to use, and only used it once, but it bailed me out.

6) Trial and error
This is the one I don't use, because I detest trial and error. If a puzzle is so difficult that you have to use Trial and Error, then I toss it, because its not worth the time. I have found a Sudoku solver online that will tell you whether a puzzle can be solved logistically or whether you have to use Trial and Error.

Well, I hope this helps those who want to improve their Sudoku solving skills.

14th Apr, 2006 - 12:21pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Sudoku

Thanks for the tips mate. I will have to give them a go, but I am NOT telling my partner, its hard enough to get her away from that game.

We have a sudoku puzzle which has a cetre puzzle one puzzle for each corner. It is very difficult and takes a long time.

29th Jan, 2007 - 8:33pm / Post ID: #

Sudoku

I've finally got my head round to understanding how this works, but still find the best way is to have a piece of paper to scribble every missing number to each box on, and then cross it out on the paper before I fill it out into the book.

In the long run, it saves me from having to rub it all out and start again! laugh.gif

30th Jan, 2007 - 3:33pm / Post ID: #

Sudoku

Been doing them for a year and find now most take little time to finish. I usually end up doing it in pen as there is a pencil vortex in my house and I can never find one.

I never guess because of using pen. I found one once that used letters instead of numbers and it was harder! I guess being used to seeing the numbers is the reason.

I am hooked!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
31st Jan, 2007 - 4:50am / Post ID: #

Sudoku - Page 3

Sudoku is great for killing time while flying! The more numbers they give you initially, the easier it is, of course. There are some other variants like shading a "X" from corner to corner of the entire puzzle that also has to have all 9 numbers in it. While another rule for completing the puzzle, I found that rule to make it actually easier. It really is a abstract logic puzzle and is really addictive too!

31st Jan, 2007 - 9:29am / Post ID: #

Sudoku Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 3

Sudoku is great for killing time while flying
This is funny because this is where I first discovered Sudoku, about two months ago. I know I'm behind the times but when I finally discovered this game, I became instantly addicted. My husband bought me an electronic Sudoku game for Christmas and it's great fun.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Sudoku

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,