Kentucky - Page 9 of 17

Two die after lightning strikes US home Kentucky - Page 9 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 21st Jul, 2012 - 6:50am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 17 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (17) »
Kentucky Culture
Post Date: 23rd Jun, 2012 - 6:50am / Post ID: #

Kentucky - Page 9

University of Kentucky cuts workforce, hikes tuition
Kentucky Local News

The University of Kentucky laid off 140 people, 1 percent of its workforce, this week. Cautioning that it was only an initial round of more cuts, the Board of Trustees approved the ...
Source: Kentucky News

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 30th Jun, 2012 - 6:50am / Post ID: #

Kentucky

Kentucky Local News

The University of Kentucky laid off 140 people, 1 percent of its workforce, this week. Cautioning that it was only an initial round of more cuts, the Board of Trustees approved the ...

Post Date: 7th Jul, 2012 - 6:50am / Post ID: #

Kentucky History & Civil Business Politics

Kentucky Local News

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2012 - 6:50am / Post ID: #

Page 9 Kentucky

Next Cats Walker bothered by lack of Kentucky offer
Kentucky Local News

Chris Walker wants a scholarship offer from Kentucky, and he wants it now.The consensus top-10 recruit from 2013 told Rivals.com on Thursday that he didn’t feel like a priority for UK. He said he ...

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2012 - 1:40pm / Post ID: #

Kentucky
A Friend

Kentucky

I am from western Kentucky. The following is "A History Lesson on Kentucky" from my Uncle Paul in Ohio County (county with largest land mass, fewest residents - where my folk hail from). I have not personally verified each of these facts, but Uncle Paul worked for the railroad over 30 years and was known as an intelligent man with integrity, so I don't believe he'd pass around any information he didn't know to be true.

Email I received:

international QUOTE
For those of you who live in  Kentucky
you might find this interesting..
And for those of you who don't,
YOU might also find this interesting.

Today's history lesson!

1792 -  Kentucky was the first state on the western frontier to join the  Union .

1816 - (first promoted)  Mammoth  Cave , with 336+ miles of mapped passages, is the world's longest cave.  It is 379 feet deep and contains at least 5 levels of passages..  It's second only to  Niagara Falls as the most popular tourist attraction in the  US ...  It became a National Park on July 1, 1941.

1856 - The first enamel bathtub was made in  Louisville.

1883 - The first electric light bulb was shown in Louisville.  Thomas Alva Edison introduced his invention to crowds at the Southern Exposition.

1887 - Mother's Day was first observed in Henderson by teacher Mary S. Wilson.  It became a national holiday in 1916.

1893 - 'Happy Birthday to You', probably the most sung song in the world,
was written by two Louisville sisters - Mildred and Patricia Hill.

Late 19th century - Bibb lettuce was first cultivated by Jack Bibb in Frankfort , Kentucky.

1896 - The first (known) set of all male quintuplets was born in Paducah .

1934 - Cheeseburgers were first tasted at Kaelin's Restaurant in Louisville .

1937 - The first Wigwam Village Motel, with units in the shape of a 'teepee', was built by Frank A. Redford in  Cave  City . 

The world's largest baseball bat, a full one hundred twenty (120) feet tall
and weighing 68,000 pounds, can be seen at the Louisville Slugger Museum in  Louisville (Jefferson Co.).

Chevrolet Corvettes are manufactured only in  Bowling Green. 

Covington (St. Mary's Cathedral-Basilica of the Assumption) is home
to the world's largest hand blown stained glass window in existence.
It measures an astounding 24 feet by 67 feet and contains 117 different figures.

The world's largest crucifix, standing at sixty (60) feet tall, is in Bardstown (Nelson Co.).

Fort  Knox holds more than $6 billion worth of gold - the largest amount stored anywhere in the world. 

The JIF plant in  Lexington is the world's largest peanut butter producing facility.

Kentucky has more resort parks than any other state in the nation.

Middlesboro is the only United States city built inside a meteor crater..

Newport is home to The World Peace Bell, the world's largest free-swinging bell.

Pike  County is the world's largest producer of coal.

Pikeville annually leads the nation (per capita) in consumption of Pepsi-Cola.

Post-It Notes are made exclusively in Cynthiana, Ky.

Shaker Village (Pleasant Hill) is the largest historic community of its kind in the United States

Christian County is 'wet', while  Bourbon  County is 'dry'.
('wet 'sells liquor; 'dry' does not)

Barren  County has the most fertile land in the state.

Lake  Cumberland has more miles of shoreline than the state of  Florida.

Kentucky is best known for its beautiful blue grass.  And, let us not forget about the basketball and the Race Horses !

I will make a small contribution to Uncle Paul's history based upon my own 'loves' to add Kentucky is often called "The Big Blue Nation" because we love our basketball... The University of Kentucky has won more NCAA basketball games than any other college (over 2,000) winning 8 NCAA National Championships and 45 Regular SEC Champion Titles. Our list of records in the SEC and NCAA record books are too numerous to list here.

And let us never forget that Man O' War, "The Horse of the Century", was foaled in Lexington, Kentucky, just before midnight March 29, 1917.

Secretariat died October 4, 1989 in Kentucky, mourned by millions, and is buried at Claiborne Farms in Paris, Kentucky.

You can probably tell I love Kentucky. Right now I'm a 'misplaced Kentuckian' (living north of the Mason-Dixon line) as my dad likes to tease...but I'm going home for a visit next week, and cannot wait to set foot on my beloved native soil.

16th Jul, 2012 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Kentucky

I didn't know that Kentucky had so many colorful facts especially the Pepsi one, I bet Coke must be trying to make inroads. A lot of junk food places first started in Kentucky, make me wonder what the traditional dish is there?

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 71 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 7.1%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 19th Jul, 2012 - 5:28pm / Post ID: #

Kentucky
A Friend

Kentucky - Page 9

Kentucky is mainly rural with really only 3-4 major urban areas. It depends upon agriculture and coal mining for much of its regular citizens' income (but can't leave out the whiskey/bourbon business heh).

Favorite food? Bar-B-Q probably.

Kentucky Bar-B-Q is unlike other Bar-B-Q you find in other states. It has a brown color, not red. (I know the secret... biggrin.gif )

Kentucky Bar-B-Q is known world-wide. Owensboro, Kentucky has an International Bar-B-Q Festival every May. Hundreds of thousands of people come from all around the world to taste the best (in many people's opinions) Bar-B-Q in the world. The city almost triples in size.

Then there is also Burgoo. What is Burgoo, you may ask?...it is a chowder-like blend of all types of shredded Bar-B-Q meat (beef, chicken, pork, mutton) diced potatoes, corn, onions, tomoatoes, lots of pepper and a few 'secret' ingredients. Spicy!
DELICIOUS!

Moonlite Bar-B-Q, located in Owensboro, began as a small family business but has grown to an international one. They can and freeze their delicious products to be sold in stores across the nation and even overseas. Anyone wishing to taste real Kentucky Bar-B-Q can order online or by phone for delivery anywhere.

Not only is Bar-B-Q a favorite food, it is a favorite activity. On weekends, huge numbers of families and friends gather for their own backyard grills. There are Bar-B-Q teams which compete throughout the season for the coveted title of "Best". ( Each type of Bar-B-Q is judged separately.) Even among friends and/or family men vie for the title of being the "best" at Bar-B-Q'er. It's almost like a sport.

Visit Kentucky - but you might want to do so in late spring/early summer or in the fall...since it was 102 degrees and humid yesterday. Unless you plan to take advantage of our many water sports or Mammoth Cave tours.

Post Date: 21st Jul, 2012 - 6:50am / Post ID: #

Kentucky Politics Business Civil & History - Page 9

Two die after lightning strikes US home
Kentucky Local News

A bedridden elderly man and his granddaughter died after a bolt of lightning struck their house and started a fire in Louisville city in the US, CNN reported Friday. Officials said the lightning ...

> TOPIC: Kentucky

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,