Gay Mormon? - Page 5 of 8

TheMark: QUOTE Besides all that, I think the - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Apr, 2014 - 11:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

?
Poll: Can you be both Mormon and Gay (homosexual)?
  Yes       50.00%
  No       50.00%
Total Votes: 6
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
17th Apr, 2014 - 8:25pm / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon? - Page 5

Alcoholism is not a "temptation", it's a disease. I fail to see the connection [to being gay], would you mind to expand? Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Apr, 2014 - 1:26am / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon?
A Friend

Mormon Gay

I suppose alcoholism its' self may not be a temptation, the desire to drink alcoholic drinks is and the stronger the desire or temptation to drink is, the more likely (Its almost certain) one is to suffer with alcoholism. And by the way, until very, very, recently the church considered homosexuality a disease. I believe the reason they still don't officially refer to homosexuality as a disease is out of political correctness.

I think it also important to point out that disease, temptation, or otherwise its important to remember that people with same gender attraction are still their heavenly fathers children and should not be feared or shunned. Outreach is the best way to change hearts and minds.

18th Apr, 2014 - 11:32am / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I do recall the Church referring to it as an "abomination" not very long ago.

international QUOTE
. Outreach is the best way to change hearts and minds.

Why should we try to change them?

Post Date: 18th Apr, 2014 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon?
A Friend

Page 5 Mormon Gay

I didn't say we needed to "change them". If their not willing to change themselves I doubt any person would be able to change them. We can however explain why we do not condone homosexuality and why we believe chastity is important to everyones salvation and that may cause them to want to change,this is what I mean by outreach. In any case one of our missions is to help our brothers and sisters in their spiritual progression. I don't believe homosexual tendencies will allow someone to progress as far as they should/ could.

Post Date: 18th Apr, 2014 - 6:48pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Gay

Name: Saint

Comments: I have been a member of the Church for the past 30 years and I'm shocked when I see our members bashing the LGTB community. It's like we go to Church to pray and at the same time act unkind towards others. Yes, there are gay Mormons and we should treat them and accept them like everyone else!

18th Apr, 2014 - 8:49pm / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon?

international QUOTE (Happy_LDS)

Do you think as members and as a Church body we are trying our best to help and reach to those who have same sex attraction?

I think [the church] has given adequate provision without actually performing ceremonies for gay marriage. What more do they want, for [the church] to re-write the scriptures or just to 'accept them'?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Apr, 2014 - 9:49pm / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon - Page 5

international QUOTE
That is an abomination, God destroyed Soddam and Gomorah. .. How would he ever accept that into the gospel.

Actually, God did not destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. The author/historian who wrote of that event was one who could not witness a natural or historic disaster without interpreting it as being an intervention of God. In need of an explanation as to why God would punish those cities, he concluded that it must have been because of their sexual practices and their sinful nature; thus, he rationalized the mind of God to himself and created a fable that would frighten society into conformity.

The literalistic viewpoint on this story is deficient and should be avoided.

I suppose you also believe that Hurricane Katrina was God's way of punishing New Orleans for its sins? So many do.

My view is that the church should not get politically involved as it has done in California in the same-sex marriage matter. But it should get involved in the defense of it's right to perform marriages for only those it chooses to. The church is a private institution and should have the right to act according to its own conscience. If that right is ever infringed on, civil disobedience is in order.

I think anyone who is seriously interested in the topic should read Carol Lynn Pearson's book "Goodbye, I Love You. " She also has a more recent book addressing the issue more directly, though I haven't read it. She had a temple marriage with a Homosexual man and the book is about their relationship.

There has been a dynamic shift in the way the church has dealt with the issue (I think as a result of testimonies such as Carol Lynn's) from cure-by-marriage to strict abstinence. The cure-by-marriage method is largely ineffective and has been an abusive burden on the wives of those men.

I think the strict abstinence doctrine is flawed as well. Anybody with a sex drive should know of it's impracticality. Sexual instinct is of the most prime instincts we have, and this is how God ordained it. I don't think such a major paradigm change as the tolerance of homosexual activity is really a possibility in the church's near future (And possibly not far-distant future for that matter), but I think that is where it needs to go. If the church did allow their homosexual members to marry civilly and practice their sexuality within the bonds of marriage, then it would keep them from committing the sin of adultery. I don't think it's fair or right for them to be forced into abstinence for life. And it simply won't happen. Either a homosexual can commit the sin of s-d-my and adultery or just s-d-my.

Besides all that, I think the doctrine of homosexuality being a sin is about as doctrinally founded as the reasons blacks were denied the priesthood for over a century, and we see what eventually came of that.

Furthermore, there is a disproportionately high suicide rate for homosexuals (Not specifically within the church) and I don't think the church body's current attitude does much to help this. Compassion and understanding is key. Many in the church have caught on, but not enough yet.

18th Apr, 2014 - 11:35pm / Post ID: #

Gay Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

TheMark:

international QUOTE
Besides all that, I think the doctrine of homosexuality being a sin is about as doctrinally founded as the reasons blacks were denied the priesthood for over a century, and we see what eventually came of that.

Where do you get this idea from? Homosexually is condemned in the Scriptures.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: Gay Mormon?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,