LDS Tithing Requirement - Page 2 of 6

10% of your salary is a big chunk out of your - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Oct, 2008 - 2:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Mormons Paying Tithes - 10% Of Income - Is it Gross or Net? Before or after taxes?
2nd Apr, 2006 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement - Page 2

As someone who used to be a LDS, I would like to just say that I personally was never pressurized in any way to tithe. I was told that it was between the Bishop, myself and God, nobody checked up on how much money you earned, it was down to honesty, if you said that the amount you were giving was actually 10% of your wages, nobody checked it out, it was down to trust.
As Malexander pointed out, a lot of other churches expect 10% of your wages,it may just not be obvious that it is their policy.

Sponsored Links:
10th May, 2006 - 1:39am / Post ID: #

Requirement Tithing LDS

I think the major difference in tithes paid by LDS and in tithes paid by other faiths is that none of the tithes the LDS pay go toward a paid clergy. In fact, I believe we are the only church where all service provided within the church is on a volunteer basis, up to and including the President of the Church. I'm sure this contributes to the wealth of the church and its ability to provide humanitarian services throughout the world.

13th Jun, 2008 - 7:49pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement Studies Doctrine Mormon

Valla you touched a point that is dear and close to my heart. Tithes are for the work of God to be done not some clergy to get rich from. All that goes in should be going back out to the needy and to support the building.

I am very happy to say LDS do not have the only church that does this. The Jamaican based Apostolic Church is the same way in fact the building is often paid for by the ministry team its self! I think that is what should occurring.

Tithes of 10% are expected in very church that I have ever attended Catholic Baptist Pentecostal, United ect. Yes I have attended many but I really like the Jamaican one best.

The tithe is also on gross not net pay. It was best explained to me by my father in law (who is pastor of the Apostolic Church in East Toronto). Debt is a sin but a reality of today and is why many can not tithe properly so one must lessen the tithe and clear the debt so the tithe can be paid in full. It made sense to me.

Post Date: 14th Jun, 2008 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement
A Friend

Page 2 Requirement Tithing LDS

I believe that tithing is the giving of your worth to the church. Supporting your church in any way you can, can be supporting your church. I do not think it always has to be money. Taking in food to help the church feed the poor. Taking in building supplies to help the church repair a persons home can be forms of tithing. It is up to each person to tithe their church and to make a representation to the lord of their gifts. He is the one we will answer to.

I know from past experiences that many rumors fly here and there about this church or that. I refer to a saying I heard a long time ago when I hear these rumors. "You need to walk a mile in another mans shoes to understand" I believe this means you have to get to know the truth for yourself. Do not listen to those who are not the people they are talking about.

18th Jun, 2008 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Requirement Tithing LDS

I agree KNtoran giving of your time is sometimes more financially rewarding to the Church then monies but I tend to just put that one to good deeds and the tithe is monetary though the amount you give might be small or large I do not think it really matter. The 10% rule is from the old testament anyhow. A good guide if you are able to do so other wise Jesus said it best give from the hear the best you are able.

Post Date: 12th Jul, 2008 - 7:04am / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement
A Friend

LDS Tithing Requirement

The main consequence is that the person cannot go to the Temple. This means that they cannot attend Temple weddings or participate in the special ordinances that occur there.

I saw a movie recently about Martin Luther who taught against "endulgences" which was basically like purchasing your salvation from the pope.

Because these temple ordainances are required for Salvation/Exaltation not letting people in because they do not pay tithing is kind of like selling Salvation/Exaltation, IMO. I understand the whole devotion thing, and I have had a temple recomend for years, but I have often felt that the focus of paying tithing has been taken away from the free offering and turnned into a manipulative and coersive money collection. (My tolerance for manipulation is VERY low.) I think this is very much personal opinion as I have heard talks from well meaning members on tithing who focused on the negative results of not paying tithing, like can't get your blessings, can't be exalted, can go to weddings and can offer the blessing to your dead loved ones, (but someone else can for you).

However, that being said, there are plenty of people not paying tithing, so any manipulation/coersion to give money to the church isn't very strong.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Jul, 2008 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement - Page 2

Amonhi:

Because these temple ordainances are required for Salvation/Exaltation not letting people in because they do not pay tithing is kind of like selling Salvation/Exaltation, IMO.

How? I don't see the connection at all. Please explain.

Tithing is a commandment, an ancient one for that matter.

IMO. I understand the whole devotion thing, and I have had a temple recomend for years, but I have often felt that the focus of paying tithing has been taken away from the free offering and turnned into a manipulative and coersive money collection. (My tolerance for manipulation is VERY low.)

Interesting choice of words. I think a lot of people could be quite happy with the Church until they touch their pockets and all the devotion is thrown out of the window. Tithing has little to do with money and everything with obedience. Those who are not willing to sacrifice maybe they're not ready just like the example of the Young Rich man who was unwilling to give away all his possessions to the poor in order to follow the Savior. Was he a good man? It seems he was. Did he keep all the rest of the commandments? It seems he did but the ONE, the ONLY one the Savior wanted him to do was the one he struggled the MOST and was unwilling to sacrifice.

I can boast on how I don't drink alcohol or coffee but if these two things were never a problem to me then little reward I get, the REAL test is on those commandments that require a great sacrifice in our part.

However, that being said, there are plenty of people not paying tithing, so any manipulation/coersion to give money to the church isn't very strong.

The Church can only encourage, having said that, greater blessings are being lost just for not be willing to sacrifice. Sad.

19th Oct, 2008 - 2:05pm / Post ID: #

LDS Tithing Requirement Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

10% of your salary is a big chunk out of your salary espcially with rising taxes. Is the whole membership required to do this or is it optional?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: LDS Tithing Requirement

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,