The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth - Page 4 of 6

This is exactly my sentiments about autism - Page 4 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 26th Sep, 2015 - 10:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Top  The Media' s Portrayal Autism There is lots more to Autism than what you can get from watching a documentary. In fact for some parents coping with the challenges on a daily basis it can be comparitive to wrestling with the Hulk!
23rd Mar, 2014 - 11:03pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth - Page 4

A familiar account of what autism is like by Jo Worgan, she mentions some of the things in this thread:

international QUOTE
Parents of autistic children are isolated. We do not go to as many social gatherings with our children.

We then too have the comments and stares when out with our child and we try to make it look like we are not bothered. I often say to myself they do not understand how it is for us, how life is for my child, but it still hurts even though I carry on smiling. Ref. Source 6

Sponsored Links:
21st Apr, 2014 - 6:56pm / Post ID: #

Truth and Autism Portrayal Medias The

Related to this Topic is the associated injuries that occur by an autistic child to the parent while trying to get them to calm down: Autism & Scratching / Biting.

3rd Aug, 2014 - 9:09pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth Health & Special Psychology

Here is one woman's struggle with the Hulk Moment that does not seem to be just a moment but a regular part of life: Mother Of Severely Autistic Adult

23rd Sep, 2014 - 2:52pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Truth and Autism Portrayal Medias The

Sometimes the Hulk phase can come in an instant but maybe there are signs you can detect before the Blind Rage kicks in. The below quote and site gives valuable information.

international QUOTE
A child in a state of rage also loses much of his capacity for rational thought and reasoning, and may act (Usually violently) on his impulses to the point that he may attack until he has been restrained, or the source of his rage has been "Destroyed." Ref. Source 7

11th Jan, 2015 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

Truth and Autism Portrayal Medias The

Sometimes the Hulk phase can be so bad that maybe institutionalization is necessary. Some families try to 'wing it' when their autistic child becomes an autistic adult either because they cannot afford to send their child away or they cannot bear the thought of doing that to one of their own. Sadly, the effects of such a choice can have devastating consequences as outlined in the following:

international QUOTE
A crime clearly occurred when 23-year-old Adam Koumoutseas slammed his mother's head against an asphalt driveway, but the perpetrator wasn't Adam, according to his father.

"The crime is the lack of services," Said John Koumoutseas of Southboro, a sentiment echoed across the country by parents plagued with the near-impossible challenges of caring for older - and sometimes aggressive - autistic children. Ref. Source 3

I should clarify that NOT all autistic children grow to be violent and aggressive but when you do have a child this way it makes you one of the few that may lose all your financial, physical and social well being trying to keep that child calm. You can read even more tragic stories at Age if Autism.

Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2015 - 3:01pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth

Name: V J

Title: Bartlett

Comments: It is a difficult line to walk. On the one hand you don't want people to think that autistic people are genetic freaks who will never contribute anything to society and it might be better if they were disposed of, on the other you want to educate people on the fact that autism is a problem that you cannot cure, only disguise.

I, myself, am an Asperger Autistic and I will hold up my hand right now and say the only reason that I cope so well with the outside world is because of the training that my mother gave me. That include that there were always changes to routines involving other people. The table was always laid in a different pattern, the food dished in different combinations. If I started having a 'little moment' I was told to stop it, if I did not I got my knuckles rapped. It sounds cruel but it was what was necessary and because of it by the time I was eight Mother could take my sister and me out to a restaurant and know that there would never be a problem.

Because of that training I learnt that other people could not be controlled and that I should not try to. Therefore the only thing I could control was myself, so that is what I did. I have picked up the knife first and then the fork for so many years that I don't even realise that I am doing it any more.

However, my appearance of 'normalcy' is first and foremost an act. Even at the age of twenty eight I still have 'little moments', I have just become better at internalizing them and/or keeping them private. For instant, I missed the bus on the way to work this morning and I had to go home and have ten minutes where I sat in the kitchen on my own with my hands over my ears to get passed the instant reactive instinct to start screaming and sobbing. Then I was able to ask for a lift.

If I cannot have to time alone to reboot my brain then pain is my next medicine. I say 'excuse me', go out of the room and punch the nearest wall as hard as I can. It hurts like heck and I know that one of these days I am going to break a knuckle but it is all I can do to stop the screaming in my head, because if that screaming gets too load then I will start hitting other people.

Life with autism is never easy, you just become better at disguising it. Time and practise makes you better at everything.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Jun, 2015 - 8:04pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Autism & Truth - Page 4

VJ, thank you for sharing your personal story. It is very important for people to read things like this so they can understand or be aware of the struggles that Aspies as well as HF autistic people go through every day.

I always get the impression that even within the Autism community, people seem to believe that just because someone is high-functioning they do not have to deal with any issues and that they shouldn't
"Complain" Because they don't have it "Too bad".

Thank you so much again for sharing from personal experience.

26th Sep, 2015 - 10:16pm / Post ID: #

The Media's Portrayal Autism & Truth Psychology Special & Health - Page 4

This is exactly my sentiments about autism from the world's perspective. The light it up blue nonsense does not address the serious issues that surround autism. When someone light it up blue, toast and drink - I'm at home trying to calm my children with no relief or help.

international QUOTE
My Son Has the Kind of Autism No One Talks About

The media shows us all of the feel-good stories, like the child with autism who gets to be the manager of the high school basketball team, or the boy with autism who goes to the prom with the beautiful girl, or the girl with autism who is voted onto the homecoming court. We light it up blue every April and pat ourselves on the back for being so aware. But we aren't aware. Ref. Source 3h

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: The Media's Portrayal Of Autism & The Truth

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,