Asteroid 1998 QE2

Asteroid 1998 Qe2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 1st Jun, 2013 - 3:25am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Best of  Asteroid 1998 QE2 Close flyby - study
31st May, 2013 - 12:17pm / Post ID: #

Asteroid 1998 QE2

Asteroid 1998 QE2

We have many Threads about this Topic as well as lists of many movies created about it. Can we ever stop an asteroid from hitting earth?

international QUOTE
Giant asteroid flyby sets off study

Astronomers plan to study asteroid set to pass Earth to avert future catastrophes. Ref. Source 4

Asteroid 1998 QE2
Asteroid 1998 QE2 (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 31st May, 2013 - 12:23pm / Post ID: #

Post Date: 31st May, 2013 - 1:02pm / Post ID: #

Asteroid 1998 QE2
A Friend

Asteroid 1998 QE2 UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I think we have the technology today to be able to fly to an astroid and deflect it from hitting the earth. I know wee may not see all of smaller ones that will not have a huge impact on earth but the bigger ones we should be able to get to them before they are too close and steer them away.

31st May, 2013 - 5:17pm / Post ID: #

QE Asteroid

I'm sure that we have the technology to detect them but I believe that we aren't ready yet to avert a potential catastrophe. Many talk about employing nuclear warheads to deflect asteroids or destroying them with laser beams but that's still science fiction. There's no proof about any of those solutions being really effective and is not even proved that our specie has the ability to do something like that.

Post Date: 31st May, 2013 - 6:00pm / Post ID: #

Asteroid 1998 QE2
A Friend

QE Asteroid

We have the ability to send a mission to mars and back at this time. Being a member of the planetary society I am sure that the scientist of this world have the technology to send a mission to intercept a astroid. In fact there has been a mission to send a probe to crash land on a astroid that has ventured close to the earth. I am unsure of the outcome or if it actually has been done yet but that is enough proof that we can do it.

31st May, 2013 - 6:35pm / Post ID: #

Asteroid 1998 QE2

It was done, the probe I mean, but is a different thing. Changing the route of a projectile, like we can consider to be an asteroid that threatens our planet, requires much more than a simple impact. We should be able to calculate its spin (the rotation), mass and consistency to be sure that if we hit it with something it will change its trajectory the way we want and, most of all, will not shatter it into pieces and create hundreds of falling objects instead of a single one.
Even if we were able to gather those information, the area of the impact should be calculated with an acceptable mistake range of few millimeters. Are we able to hit something so small (for cosmos standards) and so far with such a surgical precision?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 31st May, 2013 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

Asteroid 1998 QE2
A Friend

Asteroid 1998 QE2

If we can hit a object by crash landing on it then why can we not land a craft on it like we did the moon. Once we have the craft land on it then it would not take much to push it in a new direction using the crafts own thrusters or jet engines. You have to remember that space is a weightless environment so it should not take a lot of thrust to get it off its current path.

1st Jun, 2013 - 3:25am / Post ID: #

Asteroid 1998 QE2 Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

Is not an easy task: crashing against something is way easier than landing on it. Space is not weightless, is void. Not having the friction of the air, cause celestial bodies to have an inertia, or momentum, that is way bigger than the one that we experience on our planet. Acceleration is a factor, due to our planet's own gravity effect on an approaching piece of rock. Deflecting something using a ship's thrusters is a challenge. Asteroids are small objects but they are fast and have a huge inertia (kinetic energy is not dispersed over time by the friction of an atmosphere). The power that should be employed to change their route is very big, that's why the actual theories are about hitting them rather than driving them on another orbit.

> TOPIC: Asteroid 1998 QE2

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,