Care To Share Your Rice Recipes? - Page 2 of 2

8 pimentoes ok you Caribbeans I have had it - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 20th Jan, 2009 - 3:29am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
2nd Mar, 2006 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

Care To Share Your Rice Recipes? - Page 2

Hi Nighthawk, that was really kind of you and very much appreciated. I have added it to my 'favorite' list, I can give that a go over the weekend then. My husband's mouth is watering at the thought of it! laugh.gif

Thanks for everyones help!

Sponsored Links:
28th Mar, 2006 - 9:11am / Post ID: #

Recipes Rice Share Care

NASI GORENG
Indonesian Fried Rice

This dish originates from Indonesia and is commonly eaten at breakfast. But it is just as well suited as a lunch or dinner. This dish is also very popular in Malaysia and was passed down to me by my mother.

Ingredients:
Serves 4-6 people
Pork or Chicken (Use an amount you think is sufficient)
1 and 1/2 cups uncooked rice
3 tomatoes (I prefer diced or even crushed tomatoes)
2 eggs
4 teaspoons water (a splash of Chicken Stock will add a nice flavour)
3 teaspoon sunflower oil (Or sesame oil)
1 onion, thinly sliced
1-2 garlic gloves, crushed
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoon soy sauce (preferably sweet soy sauce aka Kecap Manis)
any vegetables you like (spring onions are almost a must, plus bok choy and other Asian greens)
salt and pepper

Preparation:
1. The key is to use rice that has been cooked and cooled. I will use rice that is leftover from the night before.
2. cut the meat into small pieces. Slice/dice the tomatoes
3. beat the egg separately with 2 teaspoon cold water and salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoon of oil in the wok, Pour in the first egg, undisturbed, until set
4. remove to a plate. Cut the omelets into strips
5. heat the remaining oil in the wok, add the yellow onion and garlic and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the pork/chicken and continue to stir-fry at a high heat until almost cooked
6. add the curry powder, coriander, chili powder and soy sauce to the wok. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly
7. put in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and vegetable and stir for about 2 minutes. Take it out and put it on a plate, put the strips of omelet on top

You can tweak this basic recipe any way you like to suit your preferred taste. I never make the same Nasi Goreng twice, always adding a few different spices or vegetables to keep it fresh.

Reconcile Edited: arvhic on 28th Mar, 2006 - 9:12am

5th Apr, 2006 - 7:32pm / Post ID: #

Care To Share Your Rice Recipes? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Thanks to everyone for their help with the recipes, I have tried them all now, and we as a family have enjoyed them very much.
LDS, I said I'd let you know how the last recipe went, well, I found it easier to make than I thought, and the end product was enjoyed by all, we really appreciate everyone making the effort for us.
I thought I'd just put this easy recipe on that is the only rice dish that we had previously been using before we got these new ones.

PRAWN AND HAM JAMBALAYA.

ingredients required

4oz/110g chopped up ham
8oz/225g shelled prawns
2 bay leaves
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 finely chopped green pepper
1/2 teaspoon/2.5ml tabasco sauce
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon/5ml cayenne pepper
chopped celery (about 2 sticks)
2 table spoons/30ml olive oil
2 chopped up onions
8oz/225g long grain rice
1 pint/570ml water.

method

1) on medium heat, put into a large heavy pan the oil, and slightly heat, then add the garlic, celery, green pepper,and onion,stir together then add the rice. Cook these ingredients stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften and the rice begins to brown.

2) Put 1/4 pint of the water(just over 140 ml) into the pan and bring to the boil, then add the seasonings, ham and prawns.

3) Pour the remainder of the water into the pan, and bring to the boil, stir, cover with a lid, and reduce to low heat. Simmer, until the rice is cooked, and most of the water has been absorbed.This should take approximately 20 minutes.Serve immediately!

20th Sep, 2007 - 3:43pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Recipes Rice Share Care

I shall be trying some of these recipes thanks all.

I am shacked no one seems to be in love with Basmati rice. I find it one of the easiest to cook. One trick though be darn sure to was that starch off prior cooking or it will stick like glue.

To rinse just put in a pot cover with twice as much water then mix with a spoon or hand. turns cloudy and dark drain and repeat. Once done dump on cloth and let dry. It turn out best that way but I seldom let it dry as I never plan far enough ahead.

an easy one my children love as they hate stuff in the rice.

Once cup rice rinsed set aside and pat dry.

In pot place 2 table spoons oil and heat once warm place in 2 bay leaf and 2 teaspoon of cumin. Fry lightly and add dried rice. Stir constantly till it starts to clump then dump 2 cup of boiling water hot is ok also. Bring to boil stir cover and reduce heat to low. 15 minutes it is done. remove from heat let stand a few minutes and fluff with fork.

Goes good with most dishes.

If you cook a chicken keep that dripping! place chicken dripping in a pot and add some spices you like to make a chicken soup stock. Then just add this to you rice instead of water when you cook it. Can do same with beef drippings.

Reconcile Edited: krakyn on 20th Sep, 2007 - 3:47pm

20th Jan, 2009 - 2:54am / Post ID: #

Recipes Rice Share Care

I got this recipe recently from a friend. I tried it yesterday and it was fantastic! However, if anyone suffers from ulcers, I would not recommend this dish since it is very spicy! Now the measurements that were given to me caters for a party and not for a few people, so unfortunately, you may have to use your own discretion when cooking for yourself, a couple or for a family of four.

F E S T I V E R I C E

INGREDIENTS

2 kg bag of rice
5 tins of sweet corn
Fresh parsley
8 pimentoes
1 head of garlic
A dash of salt
1 Maggi Flava D Pot
Yellow food colouring
Cooking oil

METHOD

Boil rice but do not overboil. Rice should be grainy and not soggy.

Drain the majority of water from the tins of corn. Some moisture should remain since this would keep the rice moist.

Chop parsley very small enough that it should be visible in the rice.

Place pimentoes and peeled garlic in a mini chopper or food processor. Incorporate the seeds from the pimentoes.

Heat cooking oil. Sautee garlic and the pimentoes mixture very gently. Do not overcook or burn.

Slowly add the rice and stir continuously. Add the corn one tin at a time.

Use the food colouring which could be either liquid or powder form. (If you are making rice for two people, use only one teaspoon of food colouring).

Add the parsley and continue to stir with a low flame, until the entire dish is yellow and the ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the rice. Finally, add some of the Maggi Flava D Pot. Do not use too much since it will overwhelm the dish.

20th Jan, 2009 - 3:29am / Post ID: #

Care To Share Your Rice Recipes?

8 pimentoes ok you Caribbeans I have had it with this pimentos. It seems to crop up every where but what is it? I keep beating the bushes but none seems to be found in this rotten place I live. Is there any other name for it?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Care To Share Your Rice Recipes?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,