Mousetrails - The First Holy War - Page 6 of 29

I have collected my good and bad reviews since - Page 6 - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 30th Jul, 2007 - 1:47am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 29 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (29) »
Author: Keith Stephens
17th Jul, 2007 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

Mousetrails - The First Holy War - Page 6

Krakyn

So Able raise herds only but yet Cain raised crops and animals. Able offered his best of all he had. Cain fell short here in my eye since why did he not offer both animal and vegetable (grain) to God for his offering?

Cain did not put forth this same effort he just oh hey its time to sacrifice grabs what is easy and offers it up. Again not all of his stores are offered here just fruit of the ground not one chicken pig lamb or even some fish he could have caught.

Torah
Genesis 4:2  Abel became a shepherd, While Cain was a worker of the soil. 3. Cain brought some of his crops as an offering to God.  4. Abel also offered some of the firstborn of his flock, from the fattest ones.  God paid heed to Abel and his offering, 5. but to Cain and his offering He paid no heed
The Bible does not say Cain "raised crops and animals." It very plainly states that Cain was a "worker of the soil." It doesn't say he was a diversified farmer with chickens, cattle, and a stream to fish in. It also makes no mention of what was to be sacrificed. Where does it say that Cain "did not put forth this same effort." The phrase, "grabs what is easy" is also not in the Bible.

Sponsored Links:
17th Jul, 2007 - 6:30pm / Post ID: #

War Holy The Mousetrails

Genesis 4 -2

2And she further bore his brother Abel. And Abel was a shepherd, but Cain was a husbandman.

From my area which perhaps is my basis in thinking on this a Husbandman is a person who operates a farm. This could be trees, bees, beef, grain crops or all the above. I doubt that he only made his way from the soil as he would have no meat.

To me it is clear it is not saying he only toiled the lands. It means he was stationary in what he farmed vs moving a flock/herd around to the best grazing lands.

I will concur that it is vague as to how much effort was put into the sacrifice but do note it was emphasized the effort Able put into his work and that it was the cream of the crop so as to speak. I guess one should look up the hebrew word and see what it really means in context when reading the script in hebrew.

The reason I mentioned fish was to solely indicate they was room for improvement on the sacrifice that cain made.

18th Jul, 2007 - 4:26pm / Post ID: #

Mousetrails - The First Holy War Revealed Bible The

krakyn
I have several different versions of the bible. None of them use the word husbandman. I checked two dictionaries. Both say the word husbandman has to do with management. Neither say anything about animals. What version of the Bible are you reading.

18th Jul, 2007 - 4:46pm / Post ID: #

Page 6 War Holy The Mousetrails

I must find the most unique items but it is Darby here is the link.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_...er=4&version=16

I actually like this version because it does use different wording then most.

Here are some definitions that I found on husbandman.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/husbandman

This one is specific to biblical usage but I thought it interesting as by this definition both Cane and Able where likely Husbandman.

https://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/husbandman.html

There are links that are interesting but refer to later time then what we are questioning but the general thought is that they did not just farm grains but had both live stock and grains. Again though that refers to the later times.

24th Jul, 2007 - 6:29am / Post ID: #

War Holy The Mousetrails

I'm sorry krakyn. The longer this conversation goes on the further we get from my original statement. I do my best to stay with the original word and stick with my self imposed KISS rule. Keep It Simple Stupid. I don't profess to be an expert, so I keep it as simple as possible. The word says Abel was a shepherd and Cain worked the soil. I'm going to run with that.

QUOTE (Torah)

Genesis 4:2  Abel became a shepherd, While Cain was a worker of the soil. 3. Cain brought some of his crops as an offering to God.  4. Abel also offered some of the firstborn of his flock, from the fattest ones.  God paid heed to Abel and his offering, 5. but to Cain and his offering He paid no heed

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Post Date: 24th Jul, 2007 - 9:23pm / Post ID: #

Mousetrails - The First Holy War
A Friend

Mousetrails - The First Holy War

If anyone wants be to elaborate on any of this I would be glad to but this post is just a brief review.

I read the "Mousetrails The First Holy War" and my first reaction was wow Mr. Keith Stephens surely has a mind of his own.

As a sidenote may I say that perhaps my reading would have been more objective than most since being a muslim I have no affiliations towards the Bible which I simply view as a fallible historical document subject to criticism but not necessarily lacking in authenticity.

The god of the Old Testament according the author is a bloodthirsty, violent, discriminating and greedy and irrational being who has singlehandedly led the nation of Israel to destruction and ruin. The author very elegantly demonstrates these traits from selected passages of the Bible which would be very hard to argue against.

However my overall impression was that this bible reading however entertaining was amateurish and sometimes even childish in its analysis and conclusions. Many of the arguments rest on overimaginative assumptions and conclusions. I'm afraid Mr. Stephens lack of critical awareness and logical thinking sometimes allowed his mind to runaway with wild conclusions.

The tone of the author towards the god of the Jews and at times towards jews themselves in my view was a bit cynical and unwarranted. It was hard not too feel that there was a personal agenda perhaps fueled by the personal life story of the author narrated by the author himself in the beginning of the book which seemed to compromise the objectivity of the book.

Nevertheless it was an entertaining read and if nothing else a brought a few laughs and gasps to my face. However I wouldnt rely on it to form an informed opinion of the Old Testament.

Reconcile Edited: Karbala on 24th Jul, 2007 - 9:28pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Jul, 2007 - 4:42pm / Post ID: #

Mousetrails The Holy War - Page 6

That was harsh, care to elaborate with actual examples from the book? Maybe also details of how long it took to read and frame of mind while reading (while traveling, going to sleep, etc.)

30th Jul, 2007 - 1:47am / Post ID: #

Mousetrails The Holy War The Bible Revealed - Page 6

I have collected my good and bad reviews since the book was published. I have many good reviews with a very few questioning my knowledge, or my motives, but none with such "sour grapes" as the last one. Could it be that there is an outside reason for the bad review after he told me by e-mail that he read the book overnight? Maybe he doesn't like my treatment of his Quran? I have treated the words I found in the Quran with respect and dignity, but words mean things. I just read the words and report what I find. I don't try to find the hidden meaning, or guess what some prophet thought hundreds of years ago. I also readily admit when something I read could be interpreted either of two ways. But sour grapes are sour grapes. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. I expected sweet, and sour, grapes when I placed my views on the Old Testament for all the world to see. Ever heard the expression, "Water off a ducks back?"

> TOPIC: Mousetrails - The First Holy War

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,