Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 4 of 7

QUOTE (Dbackers)It could be that I really - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Nov, 2007 - 11:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
6th Nov, 2007 - 4:28pm / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 4

Muslims cannot be legally married to another person in the United States and that marriage is not recognized, but like mormon fundamentalist they do continue to practice Polygamy.

Why American Muslims don't care to legalize polygamy.
By Andrea Useem

For the tiny minority of American Muslims who engage in polygamy, its illegality is close to irrelevant. And for mainstream American Muslims, who are dealing with enough negative publicity as it is, let alone the fact that polygamy gives many of them the heebie-jeebies, the legal status quo suits them just fine.

JB

am personally amazed of people's general objection to it as though it were gay marriage

I do see some in the Homosexual community that support same sex marriage say that Plural Marriage is a separate topic. I do not think they want to deal with the fact that if Same sex marriage is state sanctioned, then there would be no reason for Plural Marriages to also be governmentally approved. They do not want to have to accept one without accepting the other.

Sponsored Links:
6th Nov, 2007 - 4:43pm / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

I am aware of the reasons for Muslims not pursuing the sanction of government, we Discuss that openly in the Studies of Islam Board plus as you said, most religions consider the recognition of 'god' more important than that of government. You will see too that in the early days of the Church this was also the SAME (see Thread I recommended). It is only in the 1900+ do we find the Church taking a change because of pressure, but does it mean government trumps God - no. The idea behind the Church's support for this is to stop Polygamy firstly and Gay Marriage secondly. The Church's PR is tired of the association with the fundamentalist. I think the general thinking of the Membership too is a rejection of Plural Marriage, and a simple matter of 'we do not want this', but is that what God wants?

6th Nov, 2007 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment Studies Doctrine Mormon

I believe the Churches support for the Federal Marriage Amendment may have something to do with Plural Marriage (though not to a great extent), but that does not bother me. I am not ready to live that law at this point, I freely admit that. I do not believe God will judge me for that, as he has not required that from me or the church.

I do not reject the Doctrine of Plural Marriage, but I do not believe it a necessary commandment for members of the Church to currently follow. God does not condemn someone for not following a law that he has not expressly commanded.

and a simple matter of 'we do not want this' but is that what God wants?

I am not sure the Church (rather its members) will ever be completely ready for all that God wants (at least not until the right before or after the Millennium). Ancient Israel as well as the Nephite Nation, lived under the Law of Moses. The Early Christian Church fell into apostacy only after a few centuries if not decades, The early LDS church could not live up to the law of Consecration. God gives us only as much light as we can bear, not necessarily just to punish us (there is a component of that), but more so to protect us, as we are not (as a church) able to abide by the full law.

Luke 12:48

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

In every age the members could not live up to the Celestial Law that will someday be the expectation for all of us to live. I do not fault the Members for that. I believe that we are given in the Church what we can be expected to live in our Mortal existence. God may not be setting up Zion's society (with Polygamy and the Law of Consecration) at this time, because he loves us too much to give us something we are not ready to live by. I believe though, that there may come a time in the Churches History where he will give us more of the Celestial Laws regardless of our ability to live them.

6th Nov, 2007 - 8:45pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

Some of your points I expressed in the 'In that day...' Thread, so I agree, my point is that the Church is actively perusing to crush something that used to be part of its active Doctrine - interesting.

6th Nov, 2007 - 9:11pm / Post ID: #

Amendment Marriage Federal The Mormons

my point is that the Church is actively perusing to crush something that used to be part of its active Doctrine - interesting

But is that their expressed Goal (crushing Plural Marriage). It seems that this has been primarily about Same Sex Marriage, and plural marriage has not been the central tenant of the Marriage amendment.

How else would the Church come out on the issue of Same Sex Marriage? If the Church comes out on any hot topic issue, this seems like one it should address (Marriage and Family).

6th Nov, 2007 - 9:25pm / Post ID: #

Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment

QUOTE (Dbackers)
But is that their expressed Goal (crushing Plural Marriage).

Of course, it has been for decades, same sex marriage is actually only a recent issue.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Nov, 2007 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

Mormons The Federal Marriage Amendment - Page 4

It never seemed to be that big of an issue where I live. There have been fundamentalists in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah, and it just doesn't seem like the Church has been that outspoken about it (politically) until very recently. It could be that I really haven't been paying attention.

6th Nov, 2007 - 11:19pm / Post ID: #

Mormons The Federal Marriage Amendment Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

QUOTE (Dbackers)
It could be that I really haven't been paying attention.

No one will notice if they do not make themselves knowledgeable of this as a Doctrine and ordinance established by Joseph Smith. The Church is trying to blot it out of existence (literally), so most Members just go on myths and urban legends.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Mormons And The Federal Marriage Amendment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,