Is It Mormons Or Latter-day Saints? - Page 3 of 4

Don't worry Johnathan, the Mormon - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 11th Jun, 2020 - 11:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Mormon, LDS Church, Mormonism - The Church of Jesus Christ or Latter-day Saints.
23rd Apr, 2007 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

Is It Mormons Or Latter-day Saints? - Page 3

As you say Lehi, Mormon is a nickname and that is all it is. I don't feel it implies that I worship Mormon anymore than calling my daughter honey implies that she lives in a tree and bees pollinate to her. Taking offense at being called Mormon will only advance a perception of intolerance. If as you say it was originally a term of scorn, that is no longer the case and I don't see the harm in it. There are countless examples of the brethren using the term in their everyday lives.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Apr, 2007 - 12:04am / Post ID: #

Is It Mormons Or Latter-day Saints?
A Friend

Saints Latter-day Mormons Is

Mormon is a nickname and that is all it is

This is the point of disagreement. Words, in the words of a famous (or infamous) radio personality, mean things.

"Mormon", whatever its source and whatever its connotations among LDSs, has a different meaning among those outside the covenant. I recognize and freely admit that words change their meanings over time. However, we routinely go back to earlier meanings, as the modern usage of "awesome" in English. The way my children's peers use it, it means "awesome" (inspiring awe), exactly what it meant to my grandfathers' generation.

[Mormon] was originally a term of scorn, that is no longer the case

In the XIX and XX, in England, it was considered an actionable libel or slander to call a man a "Mormon". That this had to do with Plural Marriage makes my case: in the minds of most people throughout the western world at least, "Mormon" dredges up images of harems and Mouselmin-like houries. It is one of the most frequently asked questions I had to respond to in either France or Switzerland, and a decade later in Italy. It did not matter to any of my interlocutors that we have not practiced the principle for ninety or a hundred years--they "knew" I either had or would have a stable of women bearing me children.

There are a host of similar issues, everything from our reverence for Joseph to the "Masonic" and "bloody" rituals they have heard we perform in the temples, that arise in many people's minds on their hearing the name "Mormon". Why drag unnecessary baggage along? It is easier, in my mind at least, to start from a new beginning than to clean up the false impressions left by decades and centuries of falsehoods, misrepresentations, and misconceptions about who and what we are. We can address the fallacies later, once we have a better foundation established. My military training may apply here: one does not choose the hardest avenue of approach when planning an attack, and he does not leave the most likely avenue of approach undefended.

Avoiding the misleading name "Mormon" and using the more accurate "Saint" would, I believe, lessen the unfortunate associations many people have about the Kingdom of God, and the church connected to it. It is easier to teach someone than to "unteach" him some erroneous thing he "knows".

24th Apr, 2007 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

Is It Mormons Or Latter-day Saints? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Lehi said:

Why drag unnecessary baggage along? It is easier, in my mind at least, to start from a new beginning than to clean up the false impressions left by decades and centuries of falsehoods, misrepresentations, and misconceptions about who and what we are.

It seems to me you follow the concept of a lot of members (and some leaders too) who somehow believe that by disguising the term Mormon, we are going to (somehow) get people to be more open about us and our doctrine...of course until they find out that the "Saints" or "Latter-Day Saints" are in fact the Mormons. (This always happen at some point of time). I do not think we should stop using it for that reason, there is nothing in our doctrine we should feel embarrassed about. If we know our history well then when the hard questions come, we will be able to answer them with confidence rather than indirectly trying to hide our "nickname" for the purpose of attracting someone to the Gospel.

15th Apr, 2010 - 10:00pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Saints Latter-day Mormons Is

Once again, it seems like the Church have changed their view/position with regards to the term "Mormon". Are they going to stick to this idea or do you all think we will see a chance again in the near future?

international QUOTE
SALT LAKE CITY - After a decade-long moratorium, Mormon is back. The name, that is.

It was on display everywhere earlier this month when thousands gathered here for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' 180th annual General Conference in Salt Lake City.

Where LDS leaders once were pushing members to call themselves Latter-day Saints rather than Mormons, now the church-owned Deseret News has created the Mormon Times. "Mormon Messages" can be found on YouTube. Radio carried "The Mormon Channel." And the faith's missionary Web site is mormon.org.

So what has changed for the nearly 14 million-member church? The Internet.

Last year, some 27 million people searched for the word "Mormon," 5 million hunted for "Mormons," and more than 1 million scouted for "Mormonism," noted Michael Otterson, managing director of public affairs for the church.

Although about 32 million searched for "LDS," church officials believe most of those were members.

"It's simply a reality that people think of Mormons, they don't think of Latter-day Saints," Otterson said. "Mormon is here to stay."

This month's two-day conference was followed closely on blogs such as "Feminist Mormon Housewives," "Mormon Matters" and "Mormon Stories." In the so-called "bloggernacle," "Mormon" outpaces "LDS" in blog names by 3 to 1.

Some wonder why the Utah-based church tried to jettison the nickname in the first place, especially after spending years and untold millions creating a "Mormon" brand. The tagline for its award-winning "Homefront" TV spots, for example, was, "Brought to you by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - the Mormons."

"Branding is a very difficult, lengthy and taxing process of attempting to influence the consumer mind at a basic level," said Kenneth Foster, a marketing research expert in Salt Lake City and a Mormon. "The church can't really back away from the use of the term 'Mormon,' given the ingrained history of the term and resources the church used to establish it. A better strategy may be to embrace and revitalize it..."

Post Date: 17th Aug, 2018 - 1:47am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Saints Latter-day Mormons Is

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issues new name guidelines, dropping term Mormon in most uses. President Nelson asks people to please avoid the abbreviation "LDS," the nickname "Mormon" or substitutes for the church's full name, including "LDS Church." Source 6n.

17th Dec, 2018 - 4:55am / Post ID: #

Is It Mormons Or Latter-day Saints?

Following the modern day prophet we are counseled to use the full name of the church and not "Mormon" as that was more of a nickname.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Sep, 2019 - 4:45pm / Post ID: #

Is Mormons Latter-day Saints - Page 3

Name: Johnathan

Comments: I'm amazed with the stance of the church now to wipe out "Mormon" as though it was something bad and evil when its the name of the same book the church's beliefs stands on.

11th Jun, 2020 - 11:37pm / Post ID: #

Is Mormons Latter-day Saints Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Don't worry Johnathan, the Mormon church is not consistent so when the next couple of prophets roll by this won't even be an issue any more.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Is It Mormons Or Latter-day Saints?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,