Are Religious Disagreements Offensive? - Page 2 of 2

I can honestly say that I have found it nearly - Page 2 - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 27th Nov, 2006 - 5:08am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 28th Oct, 2006 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

Are Religious Disagreements Offensive?
A Friend

Are Religious Disagreements Offensive? - Page 2

I think that if someone attacks your religion (or lack thereof), that it is usually an attempt to get you to be offended, so that you will do something that goes against your religion, such as curse, get angry, etc.,thereby providing them the victory they had aimed for in the first place.
When one wishes to discuss religion with me in a calm, objective, mature, and rational matter, then I would enjoy participation in this debate.However, if someone wishes to be inflammatory,and insulting, I would ignore them for nothing good is going to come out of a conversation of this sort. I try not to stoop to other people's immaturity.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Nov, 2006 - 2:05am / Post ID: #

Are Religious Disagreements Offensive?
A Friend

Offensive Disagreements Religious Are

What exactly do you classify as an attack? If by calm debate you imply not challenging someones beliefs, then no, thats not acceptable. Either what you believe can be backed up by facts, or it can't. As far as I see, anything besides childish insulting is fair game. My beliefs can and have stood up to dispute, no matter how aggressive they are.

Religious disagreements usually turn ugly when one person is upset because the other will not or cannot see their point of view, or simply won't accept that their belief is valid. This is their problem, and is something they have to deal with, not the fault of the other person. If insults are not in play, then offense is a chosen way to go, not a cause.

27th Nov, 2006 - 5:08am / Post ID: #

Are Religious Disagreements Offensive? Beliefs Religious General

I can honestly say that I have found it nearly impossible to debate religion. One of the parties will become offended at the other, due to the basic disagreement (whatever it is). This is because religion is a deeply held belief based on faith.

I have had religous discussions that have gone well and are a basic exchanges of ideas. These are rare, because someone typically tries to explain why the differing belief is wrong. They basically are a "well we believe this" and a "well we see it a little different" and no real arguing of facts, which in religion can be hard to come by. These conversations are pleasant but may not be as informative as one would want if searching for a religion.

My father was a Southern Baptist that converted Catholic for my mother. Later in life, my mother became a LDS convert. I have studied many religions and have remained Catholic. When discussing religion with my mother and stepfather (LDS), they are easily offended at probing questions in the their religion. The discussion usually breaks down into a "well this is what we believe, so that is it", at which point we usually just drop subject. It is so deeply personal that any questioning is viewed as an attack.

The only people that I have been able to have a meaningful dialog with on different religions are the officials of the various churches themselves. Someone with a good theological understanding has a particular belief, but does understand the other religions as well. They also seem far less (not in all cases) likely to become aggitated at probing questions. They are more willing to say "I cannot give you the proof that you require for this understanding, for us it is part of our belief or faith". Far too often when talking with other members, they just aren't willing to make this statement, as I guess it makes them feel less sure of their belief?

However, me personally, I do not become upset from religous discussions. I usually end up upsetting the person I am discussing with if I am not very careful!

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Are Religious Disagreements Offensive?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,