Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 12 of 22

There are some things I just do not understand - Page 12 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 15th Oct, 2010 - 12:47am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 22 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ...Latest (22) »
Trinidad Homeschooling
Post Date: 11th Oct, 2010 - 8:18pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago
A Friend

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago - Page 12

Pamela: You don't have to send your son back to that or any other school, at least not until University. Take him out now. About re-educating yourself, I didn't mean formal curriculum type of education, I mean you need to re-think your entire approach to education. The education of your child is not the state's responsibility, it is yours. Schools are there for use like orphanages - only for kids who's parents, for some reason, cannot or will not see to the personal development of their children.

You are indeed lucky you are at home and have a supportive spouse. I wish I were.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Off topic content removed. Religious content not allowed. See your Intro Thread. Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the SAME subject matter and does not develop into another Topic. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Oct, 2010 - 8:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

You are right of course Dexter, the schools we went to this morning and was turned away from, I tried calling them when I got home and they all said they don't have room, I asked the last person I spoke to if that is what schools were doing now, turning away children, I mean they don't have room for one six year old. I guess I just have to Face facts and start reading those Books you suggested.

Post Date: 11th Oct, 2010 - 9:20pm / Post ID: #

Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

All off topic comments have been moved here: Source 4

This Thread should only be focused on the subject: Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago

13th Oct, 2010 - 4:46pm / Post ID: #

Page 12 Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Pamela, are you doing some school work with him at home? How is he feeling? Is he okay with the idea of homeschooling or he really wants to go to a school?

Post Date: 13th Oct, 2010 - 6:34pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Tobago and Trinidad Schooling Home

Yes Trinispanish I am doing school work with him at home the internet is an amazing resource, I have found lots to work with, he keeps asking if I'm sending him to a new school and I honestly don't know what to tell him I just say I don't know yet, he isn't very enthusiastic about doing any school work, I don't know if it's because of his experience in school or because he is at home, of course I'm getting the expected criticism when I talk about home schooling, I still need to find out the legalities of it and about the SEA exam and things like that, but with the use of the internet home schooling him will not be difficult for me at all. Thanks for your concern.

Post Date: 14th Oct, 2010 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Pamela: hey you're stressing yourself out again. Just remember what I said in one of my previous posts [on Page 11]. SEA does not count. You do not need it to get into a University. By doing "School Work" at home with him now you will further frustrate him (and yourself). Did you check out the books by Holt and Moore yet?

Think outside the Box. Thomas Edison went to school for three months before his mom, like you, realised it was wrong for this kind of child.

Some simple quotes from Albert Einstein may shed some light:

international QUOTE
"Humiliation and mental oppression by ignorant and selfish teachers wreak havoc in the youthful mind that can never be undone and often exert a baleful influence in later life".

"Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty".

"One had to cram all this stuff into one's mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year".

"Most teachers waste their time by asking questions which are intended to discover what a pupil does not know, whereas the true art of questioning has for its purpose to discover what the pupil knows or is capable of knowing".

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once".

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Quote Tags as instructed here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. The Source of your Quote should also be provided. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Oct, 2010 - 11:52pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago - Page 12

My mother, my son and I went to the school again today, I told the principal I wanted the situation resolved, she placed us in the library to wait because it was the lunch break and she said that asking the teacher to come speak with us didn't make sense because she wouldn't take time out of her lunch break, she said another teacher would have but not that one. When the lunch period was over the teacher came stomping into the room like she was prepared to beat someone and when the principal spoke to her and asked her what happened she told the principal to deal with it and walked out, the principal then agreed to move him to another class. That teacher should be ashamed to call herself a teacher, the principal said thank god the teacher would be retiring next year, I'm glad another child will not have to deal with her and go through what my son did, but, the truth of the matter is that she is not the only one out there with that attitude, and in the meantime the children are the ones who are suffering.

15th Oct, 2010 - 12:47am / Post ID: #

Home Schooling Trinidad & Tobago Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 12

There are some things I just do not understand Pamela, let me number them:

1. You know a teacher in that school hit your child.

2. You talked to the principal who was not helpful at all from the start. In one of the meetings, you even had to wait for two hours waiting for her. She was never helpful.

3. A cleaner yelled at your son in front of you and they didn't even apologize and the principal answered you by saying that we all wake up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes (one of her favorite quotes?) This already shows the kind of school you are dealing with.

4. You went to the school like 3 times after the incident, told to come back and when you went back again the principal was not even there. Are you serious?

5. His teacher had given your son a good book and then she took it away and gave him an old one (grudge).

6. Finally, you went AGAIN (like 5th time?) to meet the principal today, she placed you in the library to wait because it was the lunch break and she said that asking the teacher to come speak with you didn't make sense because she wouldn't take time out of her lunch break. When the lunch period was now over the teacher came with a disgusting attitude and according to you like she was prepared to beat someone and when the principal spoke to her and asked her what happened she told the principal to deal with it and walked out? My goodness, are these people humans or what?

I don't get it and please do not take it personal. Why in the world would you place your child in this same environment you have complained in your posts? Promises made by the Principal maybe? If it's my child we are talking about, he won't be returning for sure, even if they promise me Santa Claus is coming to town. I read the list and I just cannot believe it.

I do not get why locals are always complaining about a service given to them (from fast food to education) and yet they always return to the same place they have been treated like dogs but they still complain while they keeping returning to the place. It's beyond me to be honest because I think that even though we do not have control over how other people behave and react, we do have control over what we do with our own children.

I understand that in Trinidad (based on what I heard) not everyone is willing to homeschool and they see school more like a gateway for both children and parents but come on, this is ridiculous. I have lived here for years and it just amazes me people complaining and complaining YET when they CAN do something about it, they choose the same thing they keep complaining about, almost like an abused person who returns to the abuser for more beatings.

Again, I am not trying to make this personal but trying to understand the reasoning behind it that it seems to be so prevalent in the island.

I hope things work out for your son. All the best.

> TOPIC: Home Schooling In Trinidad & Tobago

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,