Warren Jeffs - Page 3 of 10

I feel that Warren will be moving pretty soon...most - Page 3 - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 19th Sep, 2007 - 9:37am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »

Predator
18th Sep, 2007 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Warren Jeffs - Page 3

Yes, I am aware of the US' stance on Polygamy and the efforts they made to stamp it out among the pioneering Mormons, but I do not want to make this about the Mormons. This is about Warren Jeffs and his crew.

My question is based on modern day thinking. They (Some in the US) are almost ready to accept gay marriage, so what makes polygamy different? The argument is that should the law determine who and how many you choose to marry, (I think that there is a Thread where we Discuss that in detail) however my point is that this case could further enforce government involvement rather than loosen monogamous laws?

I am neither for gay or polygamous marriage really, but see a polygamous relationship as less of a threat, but when you involve 13 year olds then I am very concerned.

Sponsored Links:
18th Sep, 2007 - 7:43pm / Post ID: #

Jeffs Warren

The US stance on gay marriage, while one state has OK'd it, has not really diminished much in the last several years. There are a handful of states where it might be possible to get a vote where it would be legal. I think it is Vermont or New Hampshire that OK'd it so far...Hawaii and California were next on the list of states to have a shot at it. The Jeffs case will definitely do nothing to make this a more acceptable practice and will probably have more of a reverse reaction on the country as a whole. What this man did or has been charged with is pretty irreprehensible. While most still think this is just a Fundamental Mormon issue, actually there are a significant number of US muslims and a splinter group from the Apostolic Church that get charged with this offense.

The most concerning part to the 13 yr olds being married off is that from the news reports they are told that it is for their salvation. SAD.

Until the US (and the day is probably coming) is not "one nation under God", then the government should be allowed to determine moral laws. Personally, I see gay marriage and polygamy is being quite different. I am for neither, but will admit in a country where moral values continue to wash away that there are those that would want to see these practices allowed. There once was a very good reason for polygamy, but it is not needed anymore...the world is quite populated.

The US government was only after this case because of the ages and number of the girls/women involved and the possible crimes that they suffered at his hands. There are known areas in the US where it is highly suspected that polygamy takes place...been known for a long time. The government has better things to do that run around enforcing this law. That is unless you do it in such a fashion that you blatantly violate the law and the women/girls that you marry. So if polygamy is that big of a issue for the person, they know where to go live...just do it in peace and be sure it doesn't involved 13yr old girls. Most of them that do it now actually are serial polygamist (marry...divorce...marry...divorce...marry...divorce...marry...but still live with all of them).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy

It is a slippery slope. However, if you look at bills that have been up for vote, then gay marriage is way out in front. As a matter of fact, I do not believe there has been a bill up for vote to repeal polygamy in the states. I really think there are still very large portions of the US that are strongly opposed to gay marriage.

18th Sep, 2007 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

Warren Jeffs Beliefs Religious General

You see that is the thing... the argument here is that this is a 'religious' thing and the US government should not tell them how to practice their religion. That is where the debate comes in, because others will say... well sure, but not with marriage or sex, because they need to be an adult. Then others will say... well you baptize babies and so forth, where is their choice in that if they are not adult? Jeffs has A LOT of explaining to do about how this helps a 13 year old's salvation.

18th Sep, 2007 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Jeffs Warren

In the 10 Commandments, it says thall shalt not kill. In addition to the bible, we have that statement in several laws. Should it not be in our legal system since it was already covered by religion? The framers of the US Constitution did not want direct interference from churches in our government. However, depending on your beliefs, they did not a country devoid of belief.

Either way, the government works wonderfully in this way. If they were wrong to take this opportunity to make a law that puts ethical boundaries on marriage, the people can fix this by electing those that will overturn these laws, that is if it is a big enough issue. There are many old laws on the books that are overturned each year as they are found to be outdated. Should the marriage laws of the states be determined "outdated or wrong", then there can be a push to overturn them and if there is enough or rather a majority to do it, then it will be changed. Otherwise, it says that the law still has support.

19th Sep, 2007 - 2:26am / Post ID: #

Jeffs Warren

Good way to look at it, however the argument will continue from their side that freedom of Religion should not be dictated by a majority who can enact laws to stop one's beliefs. I am sure Jeffs will argue that it makes it no different from when the original Pilgrims left the UK in order to find religious freedom. Actually I believe that is one of the stances taken by Warren's group in BC, Canada where they left the US hoping to practice there with relative 'freedom'. however, all this commotion with Jeffs has caused Canada to revisit the BC religion.

By the way, in case any are wondering. To get into their group one basically has to be born into it as they do not look at strangers kindly. They also do not allow any mixed or non-White races and see the Blacks as servants. Warren's religion should NOT be mixed up with the current dominant religion in Utah known as the 'Mormons' (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). More on this can be found in the studies of Latter-Day Saints Board.

19th Sep, 2007 - 5:22am / Post ID: #

Warren Jeffs

Exactly. The people that so desire this freedom can fight to overturn the law if they have enough support or as you said...apparently there is Canada if it is a big enough issue for them. Leaving the country is also a "freedom" that is permitted.

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 19th Sep, 2007 - 5:22am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Sep, 2007 - 9:29am / Post ID: #

Warren Jeffs - Page 3

Well there is always South Africa, where plural marriage is permitted and lawful, but I feel that Warren and his thousands will not be moving anytime soon.

19th Sep, 2007 - 9:37am / Post ID: #

Warren Jeffs General Religious Beliefs - Page 3

I feel that Warren will be moving pretty soon...most likely a prison facility. And you pretty much hit the nail on the head when you said thousands...that is the issue. It is thousands and not millions.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Warren Jeffs

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,