The Christian Right - Page 2 of 9

The biggest knock or compliment on the Christian - Page 2 - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 17th Nov, 2006 - 3:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »
politics This is not about Religion, this is about Politics. Running Against Sodom and Osama: The Christian Right, Values Voters and the Culture Wars in 2006. The enemy being denounced is sometimes generic: gays, liberals, secularists, the left-leaning media and Hollywood; and sometimes specific: [Add names here].
Post Date: 14th Nov, 2006 - 5:24am / Post ID: #

The Christian Right
A Friend

The Christian Right - Page 2

Well said farseer and I agree. To you LDS, I would say that it is highly touted, and I would say even mythological at this time, people believe our constitution is based on the Bible. But the fact is that Deist and Enlightenment philosophers John Locke and Thomas Paine are quoted more than anyone, any thing, or any other ideas in the constitution. The founding fathers were quoting people who wrote books against the bible and christianity, there intent was clear then, but people mis-interpret it for their own needs.

Unfortunately, that exact belief is what has helped to create the christian right. I think nearly all lobbyists are bad in some form, and the christian right has become a lobby. The only lobbys that I approve of are those fighting for rights of a group. Gay rights is great, you just can't force people to like it. Prayer at home or to your self is fine, just don't force me to listen. Groups that try to impose themselves, impose their virtues on other people are lobbys that I can't approve of. I see the christian right as this form of lobby group, albeit, a group that has people like them in office.

Sponsored Links:
14th Nov, 2006 - 9:29pm / Post ID: #

Right Christian The

Quote=Konq

When you have churchs being used as platforms, that much more monolithic that the liberals. They don't even have a platform like that to use!

Sorry to call you on that one, but I don't how many times I have seen Jessie Jackson and Bill Clinton in black churches.

15th Nov, 2006 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

The Christian Right Beliefs Religious General

You might also consider that the big Presbyterian, Methodist, and Episcopalian churches in the East are incredibly liberal, and openly preach politics. They are never threatened with IRS activity, even when they had Bill Clinton come in and campaign openly. As mousetrails noted, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, both significantly liberal, preach politics in churches all the time.

As for the Christian Right having a platform that the liberals don't have, what do you call the mainstream media and 99% of academia? The "Christian Right" is constantly harassed, by the government, but the academic left is supported and encouraged.

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2006 - 9:33am / Post ID: #

The Christian Right
A Friend

Page 2 Right Christian The

And you will note my SEVERE dis-approval of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton in general, not to mention the SEVERE dis-approval of them using a church. You know what, if its good for the goose, its good for the gander. But since this isn't by platform to go off on them, I will stick to the christian right.

The difference is that the christian right doesn't use a few black churches, they use churches in general and other platforms. They get a platform in the government like no other. They get the opening of nearly all meetings, saying prayers, as well as having the presidents ear (Ted Haggard). They have television shows they run campaigns from TV (Pat Robertson and Jerry Falewell) either for themselves or another candidate. You have people like Shawn Hannity that give preachers and the christian rights supported people air time as does Rush Limbaugh. Not to say that Rush is with the religious right, its just that he entertains their actions.

The religious right has a platform that no other special interest group has. They have more influence than any other special interest group as of late until maybe recently. I disagree with special interest lobbys in general, but this type specifically irritates me. Groups that aren't really lobbying for any rights or something that needs to be done, but rather the mere enactment of laws based on their groups beliefs.

The religious right doesn't exist because christians are getting mistreat or their rights are being violated. They exist to push the lawful enforcement of their moral code on others.

16th Nov, 2006 - 9:55am / Post ID: #

Right Christian The

I can't speak too much about the political landscape of the US except to say that Rove and Republican architects aggressively campaigned to the religious right and evangelicals to win both elections. This is a well known fact. Without the religious right Kerry would be president. The religious right are extremely powerful in Washington, there is no doubt about that.

I am certain the Democrats also have their heartland supporters who they will pursue for votes each time. It's more likely that left-wing voters will support Democrats simply because the Republicans are so conservative and pro-big business.

However, in Australia the left doesn't necessarily mean Labor. And the Christian right doesn't always vote for Liberal. In my country people don't barrack for a political team for the sake of it. Some always will, but a lot of the vote is won on policy rather than ideology, religious conviction or celebrity. That is one thing I find unusual about US politics, it's incredibly polarized.

As for the Christian Right having a platform that the liberals don't have, what do you call the mainstream media and 99% of academia? The "Christian Right" is constantly harassed, by the government, but the academic left is supported and encouraged.

I disagree with this statement totally. I have studied the mainstream media in the US and there is no way you could say 99 percent are left or support the liberals. For starters, what do you call Fox news? Fair enough it could hardly be termed "media", but they are as conservative as one can get. You must also remember that the overwhelming majority of the US media supported the Iraq War, which was a very right-wing policy.

Post Date: 16th Nov, 2006 - 12:51pm / Post ID: #

The Christian Right
A Friend

The Christian Right

You are right, and something else that hasn't been brought up about this. The christian right has had the presidency and the government on its side for a long while. Lets not forget that Bush stood up and openly indorsed teaching creationism in school, and banning gay marriage. Having the president on your side, and he has said openly that he is, is the trump card. There isn't a single other person that gets more air time or has a bigger platform than the president. When you can influence him and have him on your side, you aren't the "discriminated minority" that the christian right likes to play. Everyone loves a martyr, but the christian right is not that martyr, they only think they are. No other group has gotten their way more than the christian right in the last six years.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Nov, 2006 - 12:24am / Post ID: #

The Christian Right - Page 2

QUOTE (konquererz @ 16-Nov 06, 6:51 AM)
Lets not forget that Bush stood up and openly indorsed teaching creationism in school, and banning gay marriage.

So, I assume from the tone of your message, that if a President stood up and stated that he was IN FAVOR OF gay marriage, and AGAINST teaching Intelligent Design in schools, that it would be okay, despite the fact that THOSE would be based upon his religious beliefs. Is that right?

The liberal Left, including the liberal Christians, had their President for 8 years. He, and his administration (especially his wife) were openly hostile towards everything traditionally Christian.

And that is the crux of the problem. You state that the Christian Right is monolithic and overwhelming in their attempts to legislate their religious beliefs, but the reality is that they are desperately trying to keep traditional American values in place with that legislation. Except in rare cases, nothing they are proposing is new, it is all just protecting a way of life that is traditional in this country. That includes prayer in schools, anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, and Intelligent Design (which is NOT creationism). What are they against, that would have been completely acceptable in the United States 100 years ago? What are they for, that wasn't part of American culture 100 years ago?

17th Nov, 2006 - 3:51am / Post ID: #

The Christian Right General Religious Beliefs - Page 2

The biggest knock or compliment on the Christian Right is that they are too organized and too effective in achieving their goals for some people. The Christian Right's opponent is who? The anti-Christain Left? That organization doesn't exactly exist and you certainly can't see their platform or find their champions as easily as the Christian Right. Pro-choice is a opponent, but that is just a fraction of what makes up the Christain Right. Pro-Gay, Anti-Gun and the Atheists are another 3 groups in direct conflict with the beliefs of the Christian Right, but again, that is another 3 separate groups. Supporting the Christian Right is "one-stop shopping" for anti-gay, pro-life, pro-gun, school prayer, etc...

The truth is a lot of people believe that the Christian Right's ideas are correct and can agree with pretty much all of them. Their opponent is a group of causes that individually may be organized, but has not been packaged into a single entity that they can embrace. I think part of the reason is that the individual causes, as a single package, are not a attractive option for many on the "left". Meaning, I might be pro-choice but anti-gay or anti-gay but for school prayer. This could be the difference in one voting Democrat or Republican.

The other thing that I always have noticed is that the Christian Right is more focused on the things that make them the Christian Right and not the people who make up the Christian Right. The focus on some of the other groups seem to be their charasmatic leaders.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: The Christian Right

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,