The Art Of Discussion - Page 2 of 5

Very true Mandy. Perhaps what gets the moderators - Page 2 - Introductions, Member Sharing - Posted: 7th Jan, 2015 - 2:42am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
The Art,Discussion Want to fit in? This is a must read! If you have never been on a constructive Community before, or even if you think you were a born diplomat, you should read this Thread as we Discuss the Art of Discussion.
Post Date: 7th May, 2013 - 3:05pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,022
Flag Posts: 51,679
Avg: 6.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,582.80 FP
Charm: 394

The Art Of Discussion - Page 2

Support recently dealt with a Thread and did an excellent job. In it we get a User named Daemon, who deleted his account after being moderated only to later joined as another name and tried to argue what must be moderated. Instead of trying to understand how the site works he chose instead to fight against the system - silly choice especially when he / she claims their purpose is to be in role-playing games. It is a very good example of how people just do not understand the Art of Discussion and find it difficult to communicate. Read more....

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!
Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th May, 2013 - 3:53pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + Chief
[?] CPosts: 2,526
Flag Posts: 9,320
Avg: 1.6 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 41.3%
[+] Gain: 715.43 FP
Charm: 159

Discussion Art The

international QUOTE (Daemon)
I don't care about the personal lives of others.

In the case of Daemon / Castiel I think he pretty much summed up his attitude from the start therefore he would not have cared anything about what rules were in place on a site like this.

Generally, I don't see what is so hard to do in adjusting to this site unless you are naturally off with grammar and being able to 'talk' about things. For me its so easy because I don't step on anyone's toes by trying to dictate what must be said or how it must be done, etc. Isn't that how it should be anywhere you go? Why join a place only to start off by making yourself as unapproachable as possible and criticizing others?

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Independent
Tenet: Christian (secular) | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Not Given | Joined: Reg. 15th Mar, 2008 - 12:15am
Signature:
Post Date: 21st Jul, 2013 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

Diamond Author
[?] CPosts: 1,577
Flag Posts: 3,817
Avg: 0.8 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 20.8%
[+] Gain: 7,999.88 FP
Charm: 22

The Art Of Discussion Sharing Member & Introductions

international QUOTE
Why join a place only to start off by making yourself as unapproachable as possible and criticizing others?

Probably they are like that in real life so when you add a certain amount of anonymity to it via an environment like this and they let loose their true colors because they aren't face to face.

Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Independent
Tenet: Christian (secular) | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Not Given | Joined: Reg. 18th Mar, 2011 - 9:45pm
Signature: Love life and living
Post Date: 21st Jul, 2013 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + Chief

Page 2 Discussion Art The

I noticed that when a certain group joined and it was like everyone they invited came in with that attitude. It was like, "I'm here, hate me because I hate you". It was the most grouchy online group I've ever seen, so weird. I think things are back to normal though at least I don't see constant editing of posts and moderators popping up constantly.

Blog Read My Blog
Tenet: Christian (secular) | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Not Given | Joined: Reg. 15th Mar, 2008 - 12:15am
Signature:
Post Date: 7th Aug, 2013 - 1:56pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,022
Flag Posts: 51,679
Avg: 6.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,582.80 FP
Charm: 394

Discussion Art The

What I don't understand is why some people have to Discuss in links.

Here is an example: Imagine you meet someone and during the course of conversation you ask them what are their thoughts about aliens (Could be any subject) and they reply,

"If you want my thoughts on that go to my house and look at a page I wrote."

When they could have simply just said,

"I think 'X' about aliens."

The other thing I do not understand is the need to center a Discussion on self rather than the subject.

The subject might be on "How to grow oranges" but the person tries to redirect the Topic a number of times on how they grow bananas and that they won't grow oranges because they have an allergy to oranges and then they focus on their symptoms. Seemingly, they do not get it, and hijack the Topic to focus on themselves. Wrong, the subject is NOT "How to grow bananas" or "Orange allergies". I have no problem if a Member wants to focus on themselves - that is what Blogs and their Introduction is for! If you want to Discuss those things LOOK for the appropriate Thread or START a new one about it.

Is this concept really that difficult to grasp as an art for Discussion?

So what?

Of course the naturally rebellious and those who have not read or choose not to acknowledge our Constructive Posting Policy will say "So what if they talk a little off topic about themselves?". The easy answer is this:

In a MATURE MINDED Community when someone is looking to Discuss "How to grow oranges" They do NOT want to read about bananas or your allergies. Will you go to a library and get a book on Astrophysics only to find that the author has chosen to talk about his dog, cat and his newly renovated bathroom?

It also starts a nasty trend in that the successive Repliers will now go on about your Off Topic and lo and behold the subject of the Thread is now neglected and the focus is about the Off Topic.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!
Post Date: 23rd May, 2014 - 5:50pm / Post ID: #

The Art Of Discussion

"Follow the three "R's" Respect for self, Respect for others, Responsibility for all your actions. Studying this dictum, we realize that not one of the three can stand alone or independent of the other. If all three are not working inside a person, an organization, a country simultaneously then someone (Human or animal) is being disrespected, hurt, trampled, spat upon perhaps figuratively, perhaps literally."
"When you find the love for yourself, you can begin to find it for others."
-- Unknown

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Dec, 2014 - 7:07pm / Post ID: #

Member Graced
[?] CPosts: 130
Flag Posts: 137
Avg: 0.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 0.8%
[+] Gain: 100.95 FP
Charm: 1

The Art Discussion - Page 2

Communication is an art. Putting your thoughts into words makes it more difficult because you can't use facial expressions, tone or gestures so you have to place your words more carefully.

Contribution: | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Unsure
Tenet: Agnostic | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Not Given | Joined: Reg. 5th Oct, 2012 - 4:52pm
Signature:
Post Date: 7th Jan, 2015 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Diamond + Chief

The Art Discussion Introductions & Member Sharing - Page 2

Very true Mandy. Perhaps what gets the moderators on certain members so often is just that - they aren't careful about what they type in.

Blog Read My Blog
Signature:
+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: The Art Of Discussion

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,